This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1953 Model D grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1953 Model D grader
    Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 5:42pm
A quest for answers to the on going story about a D15 diesel transplanted into a 1953 model D grader, was not a good ending.  However, in searching for a replacement engine I obtained a complete 1954 WD45 tractor and thought to myself, good job now I can fix the grader. Wrong!  The tractor might be a WD45, at least the marking on the radiator housing says it is a WD45, but the engine serial number is 17-2021-m, a D17 engine.  The serial number on the tractor is 200981, but that number is located on the top of the transmission in front of the shift lever., not on the left brake housing.

Questions:  What did I buy? and will the D17 engine interchange with the 1953 Model D grader?
Sponsored Links

RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 6:22pm
A picture of the mystery machine would be sure to help answer your question. The forum members would quickly identify it for you with visuals to go by. The Wd45 and D17 both were equipped with G226 engines, but the D17 engine would have improvements over the previous model and would be a better performer. As to whether it fits in a grader chassis, another member will probably have the answer to that question. I believe the G226 was used in that grader for a few years of production, but not sure of the exact years.

Edited by RedHeeler79 - 29 Jun 2024 at 6:35pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 6:39pm
sounds like you wanted a 45- 226 engine and got a 17- 226 engine... Obviously it bolts directly into the WD45 frame / bell housing.......... sounds like a good fit for the grader ?? 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 8:37pm
I seem to recall reading something about there being a difference in the crankshaft, in the motors, regarding whether they fit into the grader, but I don't remember the specifics Perhaps Paul B will chime in on the subject...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 9:57pm
Thanks all for your support, I think I found an answer to what it is. I located the WD serial number hidden under a metal plate attached to the rear lift assembly.  Turns out the tractor is a 1949 WD (WD121442). Apparently who ever swapped the engine thought it best to put the WD45 emblems on to distinguish the newer engine rather than a D17 emblem a confuse anyone.LOL.
Anyway, I am a happier camper knowing I now have a D17 engine for my road grader.
I had thought of finding a D17 engine for the extra power but gave up because of the issues involved in putting it into the grader.  The flywheel and clutch on the D17 is 11" where as the flywheel and clutch on the WD and WD45 is 10" and the clutch on the D15 Diesel is 9". So buying a complete D17 engine would not solve my problem because I did not have a WD or WD45 flywheel and clutch.  I'm sure another shoe will drop before I get this old grader working, but for now I have a toy to play with.
much thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 10:45pm
sso you have a D17 engine with a WD clutch / flywheel / starter ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 6:22am
Could there be a D17 clutch in there?
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 6:53am

WC, WF, WD, and WD-45 are 'W' Engines

D-10, D-12, D-14, D-15, and D-17 are 'G' Engines

G

Back in 2022 Dr. Allis gave a very detailed explanation and comparison between the WD-45 W-226 and the D-17 G-226.

G

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/evolution-of-the-226-engine_topic192418.html

Edited by Gary - 30 Jun 2024 at 7:00am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 7:54am
A D-17 engine (G-226) transplanted into a WC/WD/WD-45 chassis requires the W-201/W-226 water pump, crankshaft pulley and tractor flywheel/clutch assembly to fit. Once again for the record a W-226 and G-226 ain't exactly the same engine.
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 8:35am
Great information, guys! I mistakenly assumed that the G in G-226 simply signified that it was a gasoline engine, as opposed to the other available fuels in the respective model of tractor. (I.e. the difference between a G262 and a D262) I haven’t fiddled with a WD-45 engine since I sold mine 18 years ago, and either forgot or didn’t realize it was a “W” and not a “G” 226. Thanks for clarifying, and what a wealth of info in that linked thread!!
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 9:16am
The crankshaft on a D is longer to accomodate the drive pulley for the hydralic pump. The D-17 engines I have looked at,  have a different pulley arrangent to drive the generator and water pump. The pulley on the standard D is set up for a dual belt drive to the pump. I found a replacement shaft for our D as the origional crankshaft was cracked.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Grader, AC 540 loader, 655 loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity tractors, Agco MT225.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 3:33pm
When I had my D grader about 10 years ago I moved my hydraulic pump to direct drive on the end of the crankshaft to eliminate the slipping belts. I then mounted the power steering pump from an old car in it's place and rigged up power steering. What a treat. I could now steer lock to lock with next to no effort.
Jack of all trades, master of none
newbe2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbe2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 10:35pm
Thanks guys for the great information. I had assumed the D17 engine was retrofitted with the WD-Wd45 flywheel and clutch, because it fit the WD bell housing> I was not aware of the different length crank shaft necessary to handle the hydraulic pump in the grader because the D15 Diesel use the correct double pully. I may have to do a modification to make the hydraulics work
The engine is in the WD. so it is hard to see just what the front of the engine looks like.  The water pump is mounted to the top of the block and sits in front of the head with the radiator hose connected from the bottom of the pump to the bottom of the radiator and a smaller hose connected from the top of the pump to the top radiator hose going from the head to the radiator. Not sure how that works to keep the engine cool, but it looks factory original.
The engine runs great. My main concern is that it will bolt into the grader transmission housing without needing some sort of adapter, everything else can be made to fit.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic