This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baler knotter questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baler knotter questions
    Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 11:07pm
303 baler

Should there be any slop in the wiper arm pivot? I have end play and run out wobble.

How do I know what bill hook I have? What is used for plastic and what for sisal? I have 3 new ones with pn 502423 ES but one is built drastically different and that pn doesn't show up in any parts list I can find.

Edited by im4racin - 29 Jun 2024 at 9:12am
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 8:17pm
I was always told the AC and NH balers used the same knotter design. We can use either sisal or plastic twine in our NH273 Hayliner, it could care less which one you use. It ties both of them great. Sorry I can’t answer your question as I have no experience with the AC balers.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 9:21pm
All the Allis balers used the same Rasspe knotters that NH did. Several types of bill hooks were available, and lots were modified to work better with one type of twine. You could get different hooks for sisal versus plastic if you wanted, but you could usually make either work. The ones for Sisal had a shorter 'knub' on the end and a slightly different profile to let the twine slide off easier, but as long as your wiper arm was adjusted close, either hook would work. There really shouldn't be any play in the wiper arm (neither axial or runout), but within reason: At this age, most will have a little play, but it shouldn't be anything appreciable. Perhaps post a picture of your bill hooks and folks here can better identify them? The good news is that parts are very readily available from any NH dealer or NH donor baler.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 24 minutes ago at 10:25am

These are the hooks i have. All 3 have the same number. The 2 with metal tags are the same and the odd one has hand written number on it

Edited by im4racin - 16 hours 22 minutes ago at 10:27am
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 13 minutes ago at 10:36am
The bigger throat is for sisal I believe 
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 53 minutes ago at 10:56am
Kind of off subject, but I’ve never understood the fascination with plastic twine on a square bale. We’ve always run the heaviest sisal you can find. Makes it more comfortable on the hands to lift heavy bales and the knotters never seem to miss a beat on either of my 303s.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 42 minutes ago at 11:07am
Well I switched to plastic because the sisal was to inconsistent lately. In the middle of the roll it would mess up. Got tired of throwing away half rolls of twine. Tried many different brands. And I can’t get out to fix myself. Now the only twine trouble is the knot between rolls rarely lands in knotter
Straanger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 40 minutes ago at 11:09am
The nice thing about plastic twine is when you go to pick up the last few bales next summer, the twine is still all there!
I’m sure I heard the mice chuckling when I reached down and stood back up just holding two pieces of loose twine.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 44 minutes ago at 1:05pm
Gosh mike you whiner. You use it for an excuse for everything! Lol
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 30 minutes ago at 3:19pm
I switched to blue plastic BIG BALLS (lol) they barely fit in the 570 compartments. Less chance of tying on a splice. Ian still runs sisal in the 575 as per some customer requests. We use plastic in the back up 315 and the 311. No inconsistencies with the blue! Lots of inconsistencies with the sisal.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 26 minutes ago at 3:23pm
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

I switched to blue plastic BIG BALLS (lol) they barely fit in the 570 compartments. Less chance of tying on a splice. Ian still runs sisal in the 575 as per some customer requests. We use plastic in the back up 315 and the 311. No inconsistencies with the blue! Lots of inconsistencies with the sisal.
not to mention the cost of plastic is way way way way way less! But I do have to pick up those blue tails especially where I blow the knotters off!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 29 minutes ago at 4:20pm
heck I'm amazed someone, long ,long time ago, figured out HOW to get a machine to tie knots !!!
Really
I have enough trouble tying my boot laces !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 37 minutes ago at 6:12pm
The top one is the conventional bill hook that works for sisal. The lower one with the taller 'knub' is one you could get for plastic. The idea being that plastic slips off easier while the sisal has some gription to it, so the taler knub makes sure the plastic doesn't slip off too early. Usually you can make the top hooks work for both plastic/sisal if they're adjusted right. What I can't understand is why the shank of the lower one looks like it hasn't been finished: It looks like the raw casting that hasn't yet been turned on a lathe to the final diameter, whereas the top one is more what you'd expect.

Edited by DanielW - 8 hours 34 minutes ago at 6:15pm
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 21 minutes ago at 7:28pm
It is fully chromed not just the twine portion. I guess i didn't measure it
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 54 minutes ago at 9:55pm
Sorry we took your post over im4racin.
I agree with Dana. Cost and hate the little blue pieces.
I put a camera looking at knotters so if I get a broken bale come out I can check to see if both strings and knots look good. Nothing worse than stopping when it was just the one bale. Or keeping going and no twine in the knotters.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic