This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel guage or fuel sender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sageeyah175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel guage or fuel sender
    Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 2:36pm
 This is for my AC 175D.  About  2 months ago fuel guage was very eratic. Two days ago fuel guage pegged to the far right and stays there even after key is turned off.  I believe I need a new fuel sender but do I also need a new fuel guage?  And where would be a good
place to look for the needed items. Thank you for replies
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 3:14pm
Pull the sender and see if there are any markings on it.  As long as you get a sender that matches the one you have, I see no reason to change the gauge...

As to where to get it, DJ's or Steiner would be a pretty good start...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:23pm
Think I’ve heard a bad ground will peg to the right?
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
sageeyah175 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sageeyah175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:56pm
So where and how would I put a ground wire on the guage?
sageeyah175 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sageeyah175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:59pm
So where would I place a ground wire on the guage?
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 8:15pm
Just went through this on my buddies 175D. Tried a sending unit first but it ended up being the gauge. Gauge is grounded through the metal gauge panel. All points of contact need to be cleaned so a good ground can be obtained through the bolts holding the panel in place. You can always run a separate ground wire to one of the bolts or to the rear of the gauge mounting bolts. He ordered the sending unit and the gauge from Sandy Lake Implement in PA.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:21pm
I have 175D with same problem, I got a new tank sender from Steiner Tractor!!!!
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:00pm
Unfortunately, I don't think that you can get to the sending unit without pulling the hood on that tractor. The sending unit acts as a variable ground, similar to the way that a reostat works for your home lighting. You can test the gauge by removing the sending unit wire from it. Turn the key on and the gauge will peg fully one way. Now hook up a good ground wire to the gauge post and it should read the exact opposite way. The sending unit is usually the problem, in my opinion. It helps to have a separate ground on one of the sending unit screws because the tank webbing doesn't always provide a good ground for the tank. You can test the unit after removing it by leaving the sending unit wire on and grounding the base. Then just cycle the float arm up and down and watch the gauge react. The float can also crack and get fuel in them.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:19pm
Ok, I’m embarrassed and misread the first post. I was referring to the temperature gauge repair I did, how I missed fuel gauge is beyond me.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:50am
The electric temperature gauge works on the same principle as the fuel gauge, a variable ground. Take the wire off of the sending unit and the gauge should go completely one way. Now fully ground that wire and the gauge should go completely the opposite way. If it does, that should mean that the gauge and wire are good.

Edited by Lynn Marshall - Yesterday at 8:53am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:25pm
I made a little test jig for this purpose and it's nothing but a simple precision five turn 10 watt, 0-500 ohm rheostat, a couple of banana test lead receptacles, and leads fitted to a small aluminum enclosure. Works very well wired in series with the gauge. Easily checks "go, no go", linearity, and response to changes.

33 ohm for full scale deflection, and 240 ohm for minimum is a very common standard pioneered and adopted by Stewart-Warner and by far the most common. Still very much in use also.  
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic