This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulling WD sleeves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulling WD sleeves
    Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 4:02pm
I am not having any luck pulling a leaky sleeve on my WD. I made a disc (washer) for the bottom and put a 3/4" thread rod up through it for a puller. Then hammer on it with a piece of wood. I cannot get it to move. Any advice or tricks would be appreciated. Or maybe I just need to work at it harder.Smile
Also any advice on putting them bad in (providing I get them out) would be helpful.
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
Sponsored Links

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 4:30pm
Put a bead of weld or two up the inside of the sleeve.

And try again.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 5:42pm
Make very sure that what you are pulling against isn't the other end of the sleeve. Stranger things have happened.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 5:53pm
when you get it out, wire brush everything clean, then do it again... The sleeve should DROP into the hole easy, without the o-rings installed.. That is the TESTS prior to installing the sleeve WITH o-rings... If it wont drop in, its not clean enough... Some need an emory flapper wheel to get the crud off and "polish".... a little lube is used on the o-ring during reinstall.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 6:17pm
Let's see if I understand you. A disc cut to fit the outside diameter of the sleeve. ¾" threaded rod long enough to pass through the disc and sleeve to the top side. A block on each side of sleeve on the top side and the rod passes through a plate resting on the blocks to create a bridge. Then tightening the nut on the threaded rod to draw the sleeve out?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 6:22pm
I got one of these. They are cheap, look cheap with poor paint finish, maching etc., and certainly aren't made in the USA but it easily did the job on my WD block. If nothing else works it would be an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Cylinder-Wet-Type-Splitter-80-138mm/dp/B07DYLLD9B
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 7:16pm
should not have to weld out a wet sleave  it will only pull hard for a half inch  just make sure your rig is bridged across the block and it is not on top off the sleave you are pulling
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 7:24pm
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 7:44pm
Thanks guys, I would rather not weld on it. I am wide enough to not be pulling against the sleeve. Steve thanks for the install advise and the puller I made is very much like your picture.
plummerscarin, I would say you spot on what I'm trying to do.
I'll get back at it in a day or two  see how it goes.
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 9:56pm
On a 170 I have the sleeves were very hard to pull. I added a slide hammer to the all thread. Tighten the nut, bang the hammer, tighten the nut, bang the hammer.... You get the idea.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 6:20am
I hope you have it on an engine stand, so you can turn the engine upside down. If you don't, it's well worth the time it takes to remove the engine.

Spray liberally around the perimeter of the sleeve with (your choice of) penetrating oil. Put some pressure on whatever you are using for a puller and use a piece of hardwood to hit it with a dead blow hammer. If it doesn't come out, leave pressure on the puller and try again later.

I've had them just about fall out and I've worked on for hours to get some out.

As Steve said, there is no such thing as too clean when reinstalling the new sleeve. Make sure the counterbore in the top of the block is completely clean, so the sleeve has the proper standout.

Good luck!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 6:38am
I've seen some engines that had so much crud packed around the sleeve in the water jacket that breaking them was the only way to remove them. Generally with wet sleeves; with the engine upside down and supported off the the floor, using a good block of hard wood and a few whacks from a heavy hammer, they come right loose. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I've seen some engines that had so much crud packed around the sleeve in the water jacket that breaking them was the only way to remove them. Generally with wet sleeves; with the engine upside down and supported off the the floor, using a good block of hard wood and a few whacks from a heavy hammer, they come right loose. 
x,2....
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:50pm
X’s 3
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 5:52am
X's 4 but I use square tubing as a punch.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 10:24am
Good news. I got them all out in one piece. Extra lube on everything, a little extra elbow grease and a lot of sweat got the job done.  Thanks agin guys.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 3:07pm
Clap
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 6:14pm
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 12:54pm
Great news for me my WD is back together and running. I bought the service manual and parts I needed from DJS Tractor Parts, all fit perfect and arrive promptly. I had never been that deep into and engine so it felt real good when it started and sounded good. 
Thanks to one and all that responded with advise both in this post and several of the old posts on the subject that I read. It was all very helpful.
What a great bunch of people we have on this board. God bless you all!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 4:20pm
WOW... that was quick !! ... Did you hone the old liners and put in new rings or all new STUFF ?
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 5:31pm
I would say I repaired it. I certainly did not rebuild it. Its farm fresh and I'm the 2nd owner.
It was running great, starting in the winter still running it on 6 volts. In 20 plus years of owning this tractor I had the generator rebuilt 5 or 6 years ago that's it. So when it started getting coolant in the oil I dug into it and found out the #2 cylinder sleeve was leaking, pulled all 4 sleeve cleaned them put new o-rings in and put it back together. New gaskets, old parts. Couple hundred dollars and lot of hours labor and I hope to get another 20 plus years out of it.
Some may say I'm crazy since it was apart but I worked in Maintenance for 40 years and learn don't look for trouble were there isn't any.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 6:23pm
i normally hone and put in new rings.. but YES, i have done several "overhauls" using the original pistons and liners and getting new gaskets.. !Clap

I worked in Maintenance for 40 years and learn don't look for trouble were there isn't any.... the story of MY LIFE.. Big smile

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Jun 2024 at 6:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic