This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skidsteer Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skidsteer Alternator
    Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 11:29pm
I copied the voltage regulator as detailed in the following link for use on a Wisconsin VH4D in a MF skidsteer. After experimental testing I ended up using a 14 Volt Zener diode but all other electrical components were identical. I used a slightly different layout because I made my own box and then potted it to resist vibration. Works great!

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 8:01am
wonder why their "BOX" is $200.  ???  Maybe no aftermarket manufacturers?   Grandkids have a small 4 wheeler that had the NO CHARGE problem.. I bought a Chink knock off box for about $15.  ........... Never thought about making my own.. Interesting project !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 12:19pm
Those older type Wisconsin 'permanent-magnet alternators' had an unusual regulating scheme wherein there is a third 'regulating' winding that is tightly wound around the two main charging windings. Since the field isn't controllable, you have to somehow control the output directly; when this low-amperage third winding is shorted to ground, it effectively kills the output of the main windings. The regulator accomplishes this by using a Zener diode to sense the voltage and trigger an SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier) which shorts out the regulating winding.

I dissected the original (dead) regulator, which had tiny components, and was well on my way of designing a copy when I stumbled upon this BMW copy on the "All About Circuits" forum and said "AHA!". So I un-ashamedly copied it. This design uses much heavier components so it should be pretty robust; it also incorporates the rectifier into the same package as the regulator, unlike the original Wisconsin style that used separate modules.

Most of the inexpensive permanent-magnet type alternators found in motorcycles, etc. use a simple 'shunt' regulator where the excess energy is simply turned into heat via some type of Zener diode arrangement. The Wisconsin third-winding type doesn't generate near as much heat (in theory) but is certainly more expensive to manufacture, which is probably why they discontinued them.

A friend of mine owns this skidsteer and mentioned that the regulators were no longer available, so I opened my big mouth and said I could probably build one for it...LOL

Edited by Les Kerf - 27 Jun 2024 at 12:21pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 9:58pm
Having that "I can fix it!" Gene is a curse!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic