This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IB muffler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IB muffler
    Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 5:46pm
Finally getting around to working on my IB and discovered that the through the hood muffler is fastened to the manifold by two bolts with the head showing.  My auxilliary engine and model C have one bolt with the nut on the outside.  The existing muffler is rusted but has no holes (yet).  I'd like to replace it with a new  one.   I'm thinking the odds are low that both bolts can be removed with breaking off. Any insight and suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 5:49pm
OOps. Meant without breaking off.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 8:13pm
soak the threads with penetrant oil..SMACK the heads a dozen times to shock the rust on the threads.... warm up the motor and loosen bolts when HOT..... if they break, you have to drill them out.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 7:47am
Thanks for the smack tip. My concern is breaking one off. I've used extractors to remove broken bolts with mixed success.  These bolts are grade 5 and if they break off I'm thinking an extractor will also. I've never drilled one out but it appears getting the hole centered is key.  I see there is a tool called a spot drill that can help.  Since the bolts are on the exhaust side, can I drill them out without removing the manifold and not be concerned with metal chips? I'd prefer to remove the manifold but then I'm risking breaking the studs and perhaps having to drill them out as well.  Are the nuts brass like on my WD? 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 7:55am
hard telling what the nuts on the manifold are after 75 years.....Another similar method on the bolts is to heat them up RED HOT with a torch.. then spray penetrant on them... SMACKING them over and over also helps to "break" things loose.. Sometimes RED HOT is better than just HOT.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 8:18am
One of mine broke off in the manifold and I drilled it smaller and tapped it smaller. I used a 1/4 inch grade 8 bolt with a couple washers on the second hole for the muffler on my D-14.    Put grease on the bit and had minimal shavings with a small shop towel stuffed in.   I would not try pulling the manifold unless you really want to tempt fate with broken bolts.  I am dealing with that currently replacing a manifold gasket.  No fun, especially with a loader frame in the way.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 9:06am
Welding a nut on the broken bolt has been much easier and more successful for me. But not complete sure of how access to the head would be on this job. It is the heating and expanding of the broken bolt more than I am a good welder. And some how I never end up drilling in the center, no matter how hard I try.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 10:19am
drilling the center is mostly guessing since you cant really see anything in there. Grind the top off flat, then center punch deep, then drill with a sharp bit so it dont walk. Thats about as close as you can get and yes I have done it that way and no its not perfectly on center but livable. Just go slow at it!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 18 minutes ago at 6:28am
I cut off the old muffler and it appears that the top bolt would be the easiest to remove. If I can get it out, then I'm thnking I can install a slotted muffler if anyone make a slotted through the hood. The bottom bolt is completly enclosed in the casting so the odds are low that it won't break.  I drilled a small hole through the washer,muffler tin, and spacer hoping that it will allow penatrant to get to the bolt.  Plan to soak it for a week.  Then heat it, beat it, and pray.LOL
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 8 minutes ago at 6:38am
I like the grease idea.  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic