This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rules and regulations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules and regulations
    Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 8:16pm
A trade group representing major automakers on Monday called for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to reconsider a new regulation issued this past spring that requires nearly all new cars and trucks to have advanced automatic emergency braking systems by 2029.

The Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which represents Ford, General Motors, Stellantis, Toyota and nearly all leading automakers, wrote to NHTSA and the leadership of congressional transportation committees informing them that the group filed a petition for the automatic emergency braking rule to be reconsidered.

The group argues that the regulation, which was adopted in April and would require all cars and trucks to be able to stop and avoid hitting vehicles in front of them while moving at speeds of up to 62 mph, is "practically impossible with available technology."

The NHTSA rule came in response to direction by Congress, which included a provision in the 2021 infrastructure law that directed the agency to develop a regulation establishing minimum performance standards for automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems. AEB uses sensors like cameras and radar to detect when a vehicle is close to crashing and automatically applies the brakes if the driver hasn't done so.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Jun 2024 at 8:18pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 3:29am
Attempts to compensate for a group of crappy drivers has brought us to a point that people in general Expect the devices to save their worthless driving asses regardless how bad they operate a machine. A WAG as to percentages, in the 70s one in 100 drivers were horrible, today one in ten? All due to reliance of automatic systems that may not function sufficiently due to poor habits.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 6:19am
We purchased a new Subaru "Forrester" in March and it has that, or a very similar system. The second time it slammed the brakes on when I was following a car that was turning either direction as we were going forward, I found out how to deselect, or defeat it. That second time it threw my wife against the seat belt straps hard and she actually lost the notebook being written in. The Forrester seen the distance closing between us and did not take into account both vehicles were moving; only that the distance was closing. This same system is very nice on the interstate as it will allow distance and vary the traveled speed of the cruise control to keep distance from the vehicle in front of you. That distance is adjustable. That part I really like as if you are running 70mph and coming up on a car that is doing 65mph and you don't change lanes to pass, it will slow you to maintain the preset distance. If you have been slowed, change lanes to pass the cruise will accelerate you back to the preset speed. That part works slick. In town, or heavy traffic it is terrible. I have found aftermarket kits that will default this system to "off" and can manually be switched "on" at driver's selection. The same thing with that automatic engine shutdown system. It too will be defaulted to "off" once the warranty has expired. As of now, I start the car, and select both of the systems "off" now.

Overall, I am not a fan of the automatic braking and all the safety technology being incorporated into automobiles.  I've forgotten a lot over the years, but how to drive is not one of them.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 6:22am
You can't overcome stupid with technology, they keep trying. Just look how many don't even know how to use a dimmer switch, or to even turn the headlights on when it's raining.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 11:01am
Ah yes the government knows best (least the desk jockeys who sit and think up ideas) as my 76 GMC dump truck has box behind seat and sensors at every wheel (with wires cut off) for the mandated ABS system that was mandated before it actually worked .
 A system that became a accident waiting to happen that became a OOPS , you must disable it but still had to pay for the stupidity of installing it under a Mandate .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 2:26pm
biggest problem is all the new stuff on this new car that is hard to find to adjust. Instead of a knob to control the fan motor you have buttons to push and you have to look to see that you get the right button and take your eyes off the road, then there is the screen that you have to look at to see what is going on. too many things to draw your atenttion off the road

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

...Instead of a knob to control the fan motor you have buttons to push and you have to look to see that you get the right button and take your eyes off the road, then there is the screen that you have to look at to see what is going on. too many things to draw your atenttion off the road

This is the absolute truth.

Modern vehicles have an increasingly high Distraction Index... not only are the controls 'buried' in menus, there's constant alarms, warnings, bells, etc., going off, demanding your attention to acknowledge, which naturally takes your eyes, and mind... off the road.

The advancements in 'automatic braking', and 'hands free steering'... are even worse- they invite, and even reward complacency and foolishness.

The dashboards of modern vehicles are loaded with large illuminated surfaces, and while you may not have recognized it, you will, now that I've told you that a large illuminated surface, even if the screen is mostly dark, acts significantly upon your peripheral vision, such that it will eliminate your night vision... and if you go into the menus for all these screens, and then turn them 'off', you'll notice that while the screen is 'black'... it is still emitting light, and that light is in the blue spectra, which the rods in your eyes detect as, and respond to, as a high-intensity source... so if you FEEL like the years have taken a toll on your night vision, try this-  Throw a thick bath towel over your dashboard, cover up all the illuminated stuff, and take a drive on a dark night... after you've driven for a half hour, lift the towel off, and see how quickly your night-vision vanishes.... particularly, your peripheral and depth-of-field.

Eventually, between collison avoidance, auto-braking, ABS, automatic parking, and all these other things, there will come a time when you're driving, and you'll recognize a situation, but when you attempt to take action to avoid it, the vehicle's system will take away control to do IT's programmed routine, which will NOT be the appropriate solution...

And when your car winds up hitting and killing that 6-year-old girl, you will be in a courtroom, as defendant in a wrongful death suit.  When that happens, you'll have only one argument-  The VEHICLE TOOK CONTROL FROM YOU...  and at that point, it became the MANUFACTURER who was at fault.  In my opinion, car manufacturers who equip their vehicles with these systems, are ultimately liable, and should be held as such, for ANY incident where the SYSTEM activates, and takes control from the DRIVER.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 4:45am
Easier to plug and play electronics in a factory than install small last forever components.  US Class 7 & 8 Trucks are as bad, all manner of electronic displays, almost to garbage boxes of leftovers from the auto industry.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 5:37am
All of the above is why I'll NEVER EVER buy a new vehicle. The newest thing I own is an 89 and my wife just found what she's always wanted and it's a 63. 
   Shortly after I got my license for driving large trucks the above mentioned "121 Standard" was mandated and even when they were new had issues. From the experiences of that time I've never trusted any computer controlled anything in a vehicle. In my later years of professional driving I was exposed to the "Radar Braking" in large trucks and became aware that It was causing more accidents that it was preventing. 
  The whole point to this is: Anyone incapable of driving a vehicle safely that needs to have these computer controlled assists, doesn't deserve to have a drivers license.  

Edited by PaulB - 26 Jun 2024 at 1:43pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 7:14am
AMEN!
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 8:49am
X2!!  I will never drive a vehicle with a screen instead of instruments! 

Edited by Alberta Phil - 26 Jun 2024 at 8:51am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 10:40am
newer is ALWAYS dumber! But look at who is designing this crap! YA the YUPPIES that never did an honest days work in their lives and had everything handed to them free of charge!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2024 at 11:00am
I love the 'new' industry of stealing cars. NOBODY cares, nobody.
Mfrs get new sales, cops are employed, pollys whine all day, ins cos jack up rates, repair shops turning away business ! EVERYONE is making big bucks, cept the car owner....

For $22, I can prevent any new 'push button' vehicle from being driven away . Actually probably ANY vehicle that's got fuel injection.

it works and cannot be 'hacked'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic