This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor model air conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor model air conditioner
    Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 9:44pm
I have a floor model ac machine I bought to put in my shop office in town. But seeing as our town has some new little s**t head want to be thugs I refuse to pipe the hot air through the window. Seems like a lot of extra work everyday.

My thought is to drill a hole through my wall and pipe the hot air out that way. That way my window will stay secure.

So I thought about one of those dryer vents with the flaps that close when my in use.

My question to you guys is this. I believe right now the ac machine breaths through a 5 inch or 6 inch tube. Will I hurt anything if I neck it down to something more common like 4 inch.
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 10:02pm
I wouldn't "neck" it down. By doing so you increase static pressure and exponentially increase resistance to free airflow. The hot airflow is from your condenser coil and the more air across it the better and more efficient it will work.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 11:27pm
The biggest resistance to your portable AC unit's venting, is the flexible plastic hose.  Necking it down for the short distance of that vent isn't the end of the world, but if you're mounting it in a semi-permanent setup, you can compensate by going to a hard tube (smooth wall) rather than the flex plastic, and you'll have no worries about the vent hood.

You could also go looking for a larger vent hood- aside from dryers, they make larger 6,7,8,9,10" hoods for kitchen stove and similar applications... or if you know a good sheet metal guy, he can make up one.  I made a vent hood for a buddy, with a gravity flap out of stainless many years ago, nothing really fancy... but durable and seals well... he takes the blower hose off in winter and slips in a plug made of three circles of 2" ping foamular 250... then rubber-bands a plastic bag over it.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 9:55am
I'll have to look for a larger vent cap. The distance this will run won't be over 4 feet. It will sit in the corner and stay there until winter at which time I'll plug the hole to keep the cold out.

What can I use for duct work? It comes with a really stiff and rigid flexible pipe. Can I use something more flexible like they would use in heating ducts
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 10:15am
I would use 8" insulated round duct such as used in home construction. Very flexible and depending on cosmetics needs is easy to wrap with cloth. Use insulated duct to keep the radiant heat out of the space.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 4:49pm
area is PIE x Radius xx 2........ so 6 inch diameter is 3 inch raduis or 9-PIE surface area.... 4 inch is 2 radius or 4-PIE surface area so less than HALF the  discharge.... You should go BIGGER... like 8 inch and SHORTEST tube as possible.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic