This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd6g starting problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd6g starting problems
    Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 5:30pm
Hey yall I'm trying to get my ol gal started after sitting all winter with no luck. Got 2 hot batteries over 13 volts. Got 26 volts down at the starter. Push the button and nothing not even a click. Put a remote starter switch on her and still nothing. Then put the ol screwdriver to her and still not even a sound from her. Any ideas what to go for next? Couldn't find any other post like it in here. Thank yall
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 7:11am
likely moisture inside starter.  remove solenoid and clean contacts

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 2:48pm
Thank ya ill give her a shot here shortly
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 3:02pm
starter brushes , then if solonoid isn't even clicking - time to remove starter and clean all parts up . bad ground somewhere along the line could also cause a problem . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 3:09pm
I pulled a set of jumper cables from the batteries to the starter and tried that last night but didn't get anything from that way
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 4:48pm
Anyone got pics of what needs to come apart to get the senoliod off the starter. Got the wires off and 4 bolts holding it to the starter but still feels like something holding it
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:10pm
Got her off plunger looks good no rust or moisture. Now gonna break her down and clean inside
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 9:58pm
I'm wit' Coke on that. Sounds like the ole' perverbial bad ground or connection issue. Clean the chassis ground real good. I wouldn't go rippin' n' tearin' till ya got all the connections cleaned up and shiny. Especially the ground... Check your wiring as well. Ya never know, varmits could've gotten in there and had a spagetti dinner and chewed on some wires...
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 21 Jun 2024 at 10:00pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 11:10pm
Ya already pulled the solenoid off and cleaned the guts in it. Was a lil crusty but now good a shinny. Guess tomorrow I'll start pulling plates and trace all the wires. Hopefully I fund something soon. I left her sitting in front of 2 of my trailers that I need to get unloaded.
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 3:56pm
Well cleaned all the grounds and still not even I click from her. I'm kinda leaning towards a bad solenoid. Whays everyone else thoughts on that being it? Just wanna see so I not putting out money for nothing
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 5:01pm
If you know how to use a multimeter, place on terminal lead end on the smaller terminal, (trigger, or enable and usually flat) and the other to ground. An infinite resistance indicates an open coil and the solenoid is bad. A resistance reading between 30 and 300 ohms and it is good and someplace else needs evaluated. This needs done with the trigger, or starter enable wire disconnected.

Another thing you can do and I want to stress is make certain that son of a bitch is in neutral first, then with a short length of wire, or screwdriver, short the terminal the battery lead affixes to and the small flat terminal the trigger, or starter enable wire attaches to. This bypasses any safety's involved and if the tractor is not in neutral, it will lurch forward if the starter turns. If the starter still does not operate, you either have a grounding problem from the starting batteries, battery voltage is not being routed to the starter solenoid terminal, or the solenoid is open electrically. If the later, remove all cables and wires from the starter solenoid. With an external 12VDC battery and set of booster cables, connect the positive booster cable end to the threaded stud the tractor battery cable normally attaches to. Attach the negative booster cable end to the starter motor case directly. Jumper, or short the two terminals mentioned earlier to ascertain solenoid condition. If it still does not respond, I would pull the unit from the tractor and send into a rebuild shop for reconditioning. I'm aware your system is a 24VDC system but this is a troubleshooting scenario and 12VDC will work to get a response from the starter. Doesn't have to start, just engage and respond. If you have good batteries in the tractor, you can use them with booster cables interconnected the same way except for 24VDC.

If you still get no response from the starter, you can as a final test jumper with your positive lead to the large threaded stud that enters the starter motor housing and is usually connected to the solenoid by a copper strap. This will bypass the solenoid spinning the motor itself and won't slip the drive into the flywheel ring gear.

Given you mention there is no response from the starter solenoid, I really don't think the starter motor suspect at this writing. No proof but suspect your problem is upstream of the starter motor.

Some of this you've been through already I know. Don't forget, or miss the basics involved.

Edited by Codger - 23 Jun 2024 at 5:05pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 7:48am
When we tried to start my Son-in-law's HD5G this spring it barely would even wiggle the engine. The starter relay did click but not much more would happen.

The battery was freshly charged but we put the booster charger on it anyway; same results.

Next, cleaned all of the connections, no joy.

Out came my trusty Fluke 88 meter. Found a full 6 Volt drop through the ground circuit.
This was with the probe at the point where the ground cable attaches to the main rear casting, thereby eliminating the cable itself from the test circuit.

Apparently there has been a bit of corrosion through the chassis in the past 74 years. I ran a dedicated ground cable all the way from the battery to the starter, now she fires right up Smile

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 12:22pm
Can't stress enough the importance of clean grounds and terminations. Nature of the beast in electrical work.

I too always have both heavy supply cables running directly to the starter motor and/or assembly itself; #2 at a minimum up to 2/0 dependent upon application. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 12:31pm
I'm getting 26 volts at the starter and have taken all grounds off cleaned and put them back on. Even changed the ones that even looked kinda old just to be on the safe side
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 3:35pm
Well just got back in from checking the solenoid and according to the multimeter she's bad. Time for a new one. At least I know all tje grounds on her are good and tha battery cables are good too. Have to wait till the new one gets here to see what happens. I'll let yall know. Thanks for all the help again. With all the questions I'm asking I'm learning alot about the ol gal and will keep her going as long as I can.
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 9 minutes ago at 7:08pm
Here's a good question how do I get the starter off? There's about 1/4" between the bolts going into the front of the starter and the canister hanging off the I guess to be the water pump assembly. If I find a way to take it off it doesn't look like it's got any room for it to drop down and take off. Help please
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic