This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 Point Forks Usefulness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Point Forks Usefulness?
    Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 9:37am
Are 3 point forks really that useful.  It seems like the raise distance is so tiny that you can't do much with it.
CA13092
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 12:57pm
All depends on what you determine usefulness. Me, I use them to pick round bales from the field and move to storage location. All ground level. Can even load some bale trailers with it.
Once had a telescoping 3pt forklift. Kinda clunky but had more height. For me, the real drawback is it’s behind you and craning your neck to see what’s going on is the challenge.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 1:36pm
I have a set of fork truck type forks on a 3 point attachment.  Use on a "B" tractor a few times a year.. YEA... about all you can do is pickup a pallet and move from the barn to the garage... move an oil barrey around ... picku a mower deck or plow to move.... Not to lift up and put parts in the pickup or shelf..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 1:38pm
Yup.  I see moving things around from one ground position to another.  But I often need to load and unload a flatbed or pickup, usually pallets.
CA13092
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 1:55pm
i had considered building a 3 points set of forks that also could "lift an extra 2 feet" by using a  cylinder / hand pump... or a boat winch...like an actual fork truck... just for that reason... but i really dont use it that much.

Does not have to be really BEFFY as your only talking about lifting less than 500 pounds.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Jun 2024 at 1:56pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 1:59pm
Used them a LOT to move 'skids of stuff', here,there, everywhere and then back to there....
Also GREAT for lift huge logs that nobody else can lift !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 4:51pm
Lot of people around here have these:
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

Lot of people around here have these:

That's what I was looking for!  But no cat 1/lightish duty that I see.
CA13092
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:08pm
that would work great on a 10,000 pound tractor... but the B, C, CA would not even lift the 3 point, let alone any LOAD !..... Thats a 4,000 pound lift... your looking for something in the 5-700 pound range !
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:15pm
useless on the back of a tractor. GOTTA have them on a skidder then you have something!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

useless on the back of a tractor. GOTTA have them on a skidder then you have something!

:) but then you gotta have a tractor AND a skid.  If you only need something once in a while, make the tractor do as much as it can.
CA13092
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 5:46pm
Has anyone tried a scissor lift?It fits between the 3 point and the bale fork.Supposed to double or more the lift height.Hi-lift bale spear is 1 on You tube. 

Edited by BillinAlberta - 21 Jun 2024 at 5:52pm
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 7:22pm
I've a set of the Gnuse forks as in Bigal's post. 
 I think mine are the 9' or 10' model. 
 I used it to stack 1300 to 1500# round bales 2 high, the AC180 & 185 handle pallets fine just don't pop the clutch, should put the suitcase weights on.! We've used it to set pallets from semi flatbed trailers into bldgs where they want them at other farms. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic