This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fathers day hay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fathers day hay
    Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 5:14am
Yay! Finished first cutting hay yesterday on Dad’s day with my son. We’re partners. 9400 bales of the most beautiful horse llama sheep goat cow hay all stacked cut side up in 3 different barns. We have never had more or finished this soon. I even had the window before we finished to spread fertilizer as per the soil samples. Im so grateful for Everything …family, hired unloaders and stackers, and equipment. Our newest Allis’ that we use in out hay operation are 45 to 54 years old and our New Holland balers are 30 to 40 years old. OK now let the rains begin! Cap’n Dana
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 5:29am
That's awesome, Captain!
I wish my place was half as on the ball as yours!
Darrel
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 7:00am
Happy Father’s Day Dana.
Me and pops baled together yesterday too.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 9:13am
Impressive !!!!
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 5:34pm
Impressive, how many bales per day? That’s what I call production with 1 baler!
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 7:57pm
Woa there i bale with my 200 and NH 570, my son bales with 7030 and NH 575. Average 1200 per day meaning 600 each. Quite the race each of us mowing, then tedding, then raking, then baling. We hire a guy hauling loads and 4 guys unloading and stacking cut side up. Ian mows with the 7040 and NH 313, I mow with 9’Kuhn TC283 powered with my 7020, I ted with 7000 and Paqua 6 star and Ian tedds with 175 and a green 4 star, I rake with 185 and double NH 258’s and Ian rakes with another 185 and double NH258’s also. We haul with a D17 III and a WD45. Thats how we do it👌
                          Dana
jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 8:15pm
What is your high/low on tonnage/bales per acre in your area? Where I live in central missouri I get high 120 to a low of 60 per acre on different fields. Depending on soil,slope, and trees surrounding fields
jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 8:17pm
That is small square bails.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 9:06pm
Still impressive Dana, those guys unloading are busy especially pulling them out of a kicker wagon. How many do you normally get on a kicker wagon?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 10:05pm
Man 9400 bales! My back is out just thinking about doing that!
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 10:25pm
Our best output was 840 square bales in one day a few years ago with 1 baler. That's not unloading, just filling wagons, a few wagons we borrowed because we knew we couldn't unload also in the same day. Just 4 of us and we just kept switching out driving the baler tractor to get a break in between loads. what a day that was.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2024 at 10:44pm
You bet that’s awesome.
I did 800 yesterday 300 today. 700  Thursday. And 800 that other nice few days few weeks ago

Edited by Mikez - 17 Jun 2024 at 10:46pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 5:03am
We do 40 pounders for out customers. Started out around May 25 at 68 bales per acre and by June 10 most fields were closing in on 100 bales per. Our best yielded 157 bpa. That 5 acre piece is solid brome timothy and orchard grass and always yields so heavy its a challenge for all the equipment. I have 11 wagons so we get a good start usually around 2 pm and the 4 hay crew boys have day jobs and start here unloading around 5. A few nights they stacked until almost 10! My 2 new wagons are all metal 9x20 hold average maybe 150. We always stack a 35 bale barrier up front then fill them aiming the kicker. I don’t get in the wagons after stacking the front. Most other wagons probably average 130. Been haying like this since the 60’s. If I had fewer smaller fields we would finish in half the time. And other years I was flying jets and working hay in between trips. This was the first in 24 years when I stayed on the ranch haying.
                          Dana
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 8:32pm
Have you ever seen a Bale Baron? Man what a back saver that thing is. Your producing some big numbers and it might be something for you to check into. They have become popular here due to farmers getting older and a younger work force that doesn’t wanna work! Several have the type you pull in behind a inline baler but that takes a big tractor with a heck of a hydraulic system. My buddy uses older tractors and bought the self contained type that he pulls behind a TW-15, the pto runs the pump. Gives the 2 balers a 2-3 hr head start before he begins picking up the bales. 21 bale bundles and picks them up with a loader tractor and stacks them on wagons. Stacks them in the barn with skid loader with a claw attachment. Also delivers them that way and the only time they touch a bale is if his customer doesn’t have the equipment to unload it. He couldn’t do 20-25k bales a year without it.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 2:53am
Happy Father's Day / Congrats Captaindana & Ian, on achieving your first hay cutting that is all baled in good weather. That is a great feeling.

So,, let me see if I have this right,, you each are running your own baling rigs. And you each begin by bale/kick 35 bales into your wagons. At which point you each stop and stack those 35 into a front barrier inside wagon. Then continue to kick another free falling 65-70 bales into wagon to fill it? Unhook that filled wagon. Hook up another empty wagon & do it again ~ 6 wagons a day?
Unload / stack the filled wagons later in the day with fresh hires & hopefully cooler temps into evenings?
That is an awesome setup. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by AC7060IL - 19 Jun 2024 at 2:56am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 4:30am
Yup thats right. Usually I kick 60 onboard and try to stop the rig facing down hill in some shade…then crawl in and stack the front 35. And I wear shorts and have bloody legs for the first cutting, second cut not so much. We usually have a 4 wagon head start on the hauler and stackers. Ian and I will initially position wagons at strategic positions early morning before we mow so as to not waste time needing an empty wagon. I have my favorite wagons as I am not as nimble as when I was 20 to get in and out of. Once they get unloading my hauler will keep feeding me my favorite wagons. Some days if we get an earlier start we may use more wagons, all depends. Think one day we used 9. Ian does all of the communications to keep everyone in sync.
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 4:53am
One client I fly (worth 100 mil) buys anything and everything for his ranch operation with 700 red polled Herefords. I usually help him buy. We bought a New Holland stack wagon and a bandit. Then a bale Baron. His ranchers liked the Baron best so I was offered the Bandit. Or the Stack wagon. After contemplating what changes and buildings and equipment purchases needed for either of his picker uppers…I have done nothing. I would need to erect a new tall hay barn. I would need a loader rig and trailer out in the field. I would need a loader rig back at the new barn. I can see several hundred thousands of dollars of investment for this change. I’m debt free. Labor was $4200 for first cutting. I know theres always the liability issue with the guys….and Im 71, Ians 51…we are thinking of trying a bale wagon to bring us to the 1970 technologies from our 1960’s way when kickers came out. My first baler after Cornell Univ.had the Briggs and Stratton motor with the long throttle cable running to my arms reach! Next was a newer same baler…next was a 277 with 54ae kicker and I thought I was in heaven so much quieter without the briggs🤣. Next came the 315 and 311 which we still have as back ups at the ready. We’re using 570 and 575 balers now. So what should I change to?
                          Dana
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 12:21pm
"Change as change is required..."
I keep exercise a part of my labor routines for regular cardio, ligament stretch, muscle maintenance, etc... Good health is everything. 

Captaindana, it sounds like you got a great hay system going. Ride it as long as you, Ian, & hires can accommodate it. Healthier for all them too.. 
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 9:39am
Missed Father's day. This was June 19th......which at the time I didn't think past the fact that it was Wednesday. Some of my haul help had day off, so went with it. Turns out Wednesday was also my wedding anniversary. Celebrated that last night.

Anyway.......388 bales off this 3 acres. Bales run 50 to 55 pounds.

1,100 bales in two days.

We haul with DewEze hay monster. With 2 or 3 stacking, can do 150 bales per hour.

New Holland 315 baler. Did all 1,100 and never missed a bale.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 9:32pm
A bale wagon requires a tall barn. Not sure of your barn layout or height but the bale Baron cubes can be stacked and you don’t have to have a high barn. Gary uses a MF cab tractor/loader in the field with the appropriate grapple attachment loading wagons. Back at the barn a Kubota skid steer also with a grapple attachment to unload. A 2,500-3,000 bale day can be handled by 6 people and never touch a bale. Is the upgrade expensive, I would say it cost him $150K but it paid for itself in 3 years. Getting help these days is painful, it would require 18-20 young men willing to work hard to produce those numbers stacking the 23 wagons he has. That’s not possible anymore. He has had the Bale Baron for 6 years and it always shows up for work, never calls in sick, and has been very trouble free. At 9,400 bales 1st cutting your in the 25K bales per year? Not trying to be a salesman just giving you some info on how much easier it could be. If your happy with how your system works and don’t have labor issues then don’t make a change.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic