This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The old screamer making noise:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The old screamer making noise:
    Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 7:08pm
6V-71 powered, 850cfm air compressor. Had this a long while and setting up my blast line again so fired her off after about a six year "nap".

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 9:39pm
now THATS an Air Compressor !!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 6:47am
If that had 5 miles of hose it would still be too close to my place. The first road tractor I brought back in the 70s had that engine. I loved the truck, hated the engine.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 7:08am
Yes, a loud engine but when all closed up not too bad. Spent a lot of time around the old two strokes and kinda fond of them myself. Very reliable if simple maintenance was stayed on top of.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 1:00pm
I rememeber when I was driving semi and we had a 238 GM, they always said the best way to drive was shut the door on your hand and drive on.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 1:17pm
Preference and Instructions by Old Timers was Slam Hand in Door at least Two to Three Times, be angry enough to drive like mean it.

Client years ago had a Leroi Compressor 6L71, Two Valve head OLD early fifties late forties engine.  Had three Lobe blower, squalled like no other ever heard thru the Oil Bath air cleaner.
Fritz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 6:40am
Detroit lover here. Would have liked to see more of the compressor. Who built it ?
   I had a Joy 900 w/ 8V71 but cost too much to keep it running so it was scrapped. I kept the engine to put in my dump
truck.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 7:14am
1983 Ingersoll-Rand P-850B-W-GM is the year and model. Very good compressor still, and going to make use of it again.

I purchased this several years ago for needed projects one of which was clearing irrigation lines for repairs, or winterizing and it does a really good job of that. 

I need to pull the heads as have an oil leak on the left, and seepage leak from the right at the rubber perimeter seal(s). May touch up the valves and guides at the same time as the engine really is a solid performer.

I like Detroit Diesel two strokers too. Still have a 6V-92TA, 12V-71T, 8V-71, 3-53, and this 6V-71 all which run very well.  
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 7:14am
Had one in a EUK- I ran at the quarry I worked at was fun for an hour- then holy crap its loud! Also had one in a crane at work- after setting it up , everyone - hey you have an oil leak-- yup I know,, LOL,,,,
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 7:18am
Years ago we had a neighbor 3 miles away who had a 1950 Oliver with a 4-53 Detroit. We always knew when he was filling Silo as he put the Oliver on the blower and we could hear that Jimmy Diesel screaming!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 7:29am
be nice to borrow it for next Saturday,between 4 and 7 as the 'contractor' is getting married next door.......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 8:48am
I always liked the sound of those----for a short time!!  Used to have to work close to them sometimes back in the day when I was running a portable welding truck and would get called out to a drill site to do repairs etc when the rig was tripping pipe.  Ears would be ringing fore a day or so after.
They are a very good engine for converting fuel into noise!! LOL
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 2:10pm
Decades ago I worked for a company that had big old AC crawler that had a 6cyl Jimmy diesel. The only tool on it was a big old single tooth ripper and was only used if they were trying to trench in frozen ground. Straight pipe and no muffler. Loved the sound of that thing under load.
Jack of all trades, master of none
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 10:51pm
Quarry near here had a new Terex loader around 1990? It had a Detroit 6 cylinder by sound (probably a V) but had the quietest muffler I ever heard on a Detroit. It made mostly a whoosh sound. It was turbo'd.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 7:31am
Few more of the compressor engine and air end:

Compressor has no air cooler so I run the discharge air through this external cooler to condense and drain off the moisture:

Cooler has an air motor that is lubricated with automatic transmission fluid. I need to plumb a drain hose and catch can prior to the exhaust muffler from the motor to keep from saturating the core as you see in the photo. I could then also reuse the oil if captured clean. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2024 at 5:55am
Talked to the local community college diesel trades instructor about rebuilding this engine for a class project. I was told the administration would not allow it as an "out of production" engine, and they didn't know anything about them as not in their curriculum?

I look at it as another prime example of the future we're headed into. Can't plug a laptop into it; so lost. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2024 at 9:04am
Had similar discussion with a Linn State Tech College Professor/ SUPPOSED Instructor.  Explained to him there are thousands of IN USE everyday old school engines and those WILL REMAIN so long as someone can repair them, his response, "Those are all scrap and junk, need to be excised from the market".  He drives a 1960s Ford F100 pickup he built himself as a show machine.  Explained to him he needed to start by feeding HIS Ford to a shredder if that was the case.  Lots of excuses and chest swelling after that.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2024 at 2:52pm
Ordered a complete overhaul gasket set for the engine this morning. I'll knock enough of the enclosure off the unit to use my boom truck to lift it out leaving the compressor section in place.

Called I-R, (Now Doosan) with the serial number(s) of both the unit, and air end. They provided an electronic manual of the machine and informed the compressor is "as built". Also a wiring diagram, along with an air plumbing schematic so pretty well set. No blue smoke from the engine at all, but it does belch black when the throttle comes up. Customary of an old Detroit, it likes a "sniff" of ether to start cold. Not addicted by any means, but it sure helps. The "measured shot" dispenser works well so nothing wasted and the cylinder is still available readily, (albeit $$$) compared to days gone by.

Mcmaster has the 1" thick mylar faced sound attenuator available so while broken open I'll probably renew a lot of this as some is missing. There is noticeable difference in sound transmission through the doors where this is missing as opposed to the sidewalls where it is still present.

I-R also informed me the compressor is a 750cfm unit and not 850cfm as built by the serial number. Same compressor but a different set of rotor drive gears is the difference along with a 25psi lessened rating to the larger set. Regardless, I blast at 90psi-100psi and it's still a lot more air than consumed/needed so good by me. Once I get it sealed back up it will return to service.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic