This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strong Spark On All But One

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strong Spark On All But One
    Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 4:08pm
I wanted to run this by yall before I start buying parts. Recently had the WD running fantastic after some mag timing issues. Finally got it running and figured I would wash it. After washing it ran awful. Through testing I discovered the the old coil inside the mag was still firing somehow. I switch to an external Canister Coil that's an old Bosch coil. Eliminated the Inside mag coil but I now have a VERY odd issue. I have great STRONG spark on 1 3 4 but 2 is Very weak and inconstant. New plugs and solid core wires and the inside of the cap has been cleaned. I believe I set the point to 20 Thou and the coil Primary is 2.3ish and the secondary is around 9 or 10, there is resistor inline. The condenser was tested before finding that I had two coils firing haha and it tested good charging up slowly and not spiking.
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 4:38pm
Probably need a new cap.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 4:42pm
if you have new wires and new plugs, then it is a good posibility of a hair line crack in the cap that is fireing to the next cylinder or ground... and i am NOT a big fan of inline resistors..  sooner or later you need a 12v coil and eliminate the resistor, if your going with an external coil..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 4:54pm
If that is a 6 Volt VW coil running on 12 volts then you do need a ballast resistor. Longevity of the points will be your next challenge.
ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 5:13pm
It is indeed off of a vw rabbit. It says 12v on the bottom but I read that the points don't last with 12v to the coil so the resistor drops it down to 7ish.
Regarding the cap if you saw my posts a while back I guess the cap that my Fairbanks Morse mag has is some 'Heavy Duty" cap. Do yall know if I can even get the inside plastic part for it anymore?
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 9:05pm
Washing can be an issue at times. I know once in a while it is needed. When I wash an engine I make sure  I have lots of compressed air in reach. Wash first. Blow off with compressed air - blow it more than you think is needed. Then I hit with brake clean and blow off well again. Then start. Eliminates a lot of problems.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 9:57pm
Im not saying that  "SOME" coils dont need an external resistor... Just saying that is "OLD STYLE" and i would eliminate the OLD COIL and get a NEW type that has internal resistance to work on a 12 v system........ what year is the coil ?? Wink
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 10:28am
Magnetos don't like moisture or getting wet. You probably wound up getting water in under the lower cover and started it misfiring. Remove the lower cover and blow it out with compressed air. The Brakekleen trick that Ed suggested is a good idea. When you start running external Coils you're allowing moisture to get back in the Mag again, because of the hole you drilled in the side of the unit for the coil wire. Sounds to me like there wasn't anything wrong with the Coil that was in it as long as it was the upgraded Maroon color R2477 epoxy Coil. If it was the old style tar taped coil, throw it in the garbage and put the newer upgraded R2477 in it. Renew the gaskets as well. You want to keep moisture out of a Mag and keep it dry inside!  HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:07pm
Alrighty yall it's time to dig through your stashes haha. The cap has continuity between post 2 and 4.
Does anyone know of or have the part number for this style cap?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:11pm
i would be saving up my pennies and buy another mag with a GOOD COIL and GOOD cap and more STANDARD design... FMJ...

you said this is a "heavy duty" mag... Is the BODY the basic FMJ with a different CAP, or is the entire MAG different ??   Maybe a Standard Cap and coil would FIX your old mag ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Jun 2024 at 6:13pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 7:04pm
The body of the mag is a standard fmj mag but the coil can't be removed due to one of the screws not coming out. Tried heat and penetrating oil nothin. So I guess really my only course of action is to spend 100 plus on the normal cap setup and more for the normal wire setup.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 8:12pm
Since it appears that moisture was what initiated the fault, I would at least try dousing it liberally (you know, the way congress spends your money) with WD-40.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 9:11am
If it was me,,,,, battery ignition!
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 10:24am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

If it was me,,,,, battery ignition!

I believe that's what he is doing with the magneto converted to function as a distributor.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 10:27am
Originally posted by ForgivenCreation ForgivenCreation wrote:

... spend 100 plus on the normal cap setup and more for the normal wire setup.

Unless the wires are too short you can re-use them.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 11:45am
That is a flange mount F/M Powerhead Mag which is missing the carbon button in the middle for starters. Also has a damaged high tension rod. It's a wonder it worked at all. Amazing some of this old stuff. Parts for the old Powerheads are even more expensive than the standard "J" or "X' Fairbanks units. If you want a Distributor type Mag, you could move to a Wico "XH" series Magneto. They look just like a Mag but work like a Distributor. You need to run power to it like a Distributor. Or get yourself a Mag to Distributor conversion. I offer a couple kits to change the Tractor over. One with points, the other with E.I. A lot of my customers got rid of the Mag and never looked back. Me being one of them and I rebuild the damn things.  LOL!  Parts are getting junky for them (even from F/M) and for a $150-$200 more than a repaired Mag you can set yourself up with a Mag to Distributor conversion kit.  Done deal.

Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 14 Jun 2024 at 11:47am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic