This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Power steering Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Power steering Fluid
    Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 4:49pm
When we put her back together this last time, I used same TSC hydraulic fluid I use on all the other hydraulics. Seems to run cloudy and is coming out the vent tube. Should I have used a power steering specific oil like Dexron?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 4:55pm
UTF should be fine.. I would not worry about "cloudy".. might have a drop of water in it.. If it is "AIR" and not getting rid of the entrained air, you might try Auto Trans Fluid.. The OLD STUFF like Type "F" or Dextron 1 or 2 would be prefered.. I would NOT use the recent DEXTRON or MERCON LV, etc... High addatives and might react with old seals..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 5:38pm
hmm, can water ( ugh, rain...) get IN the vent tube ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 6:11pm
Not rain water.......sits under a roof all but a few nights a year.

Forgot to mention......steering also seems to be stiffer than it used to be.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 9:08pm
The type of fluid you used ain't the problem. How long ago was this oil installed?? wasn't a problem before now was there ??  You may be getting air into the oil or possibly water but more likely air. Overfilling makes them vomit the extra too much that was added. Just cover the gear and no more. But, go ahead and change back to whatever you had before (doing nothing else-takes 4+ quarts) and prove it to yourself. I've used UTF fluid in dozens of customers units for almost 50 years without one issue.

Edited by DrAllis - 11 Jun 2024 at 5:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic