This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 180 Starting Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 180 Starting Problems
    Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:06am
Just purchased a 180 that I knew had a starting problem. Thought the price was good enough that I could put in a little money to have a good tractor. Here is the problem. The tractor will not start without a little puff of ether. Once it is running, it runs really good at half throttle or more. It will die if throttle reduced to an idle. Am I looking at an injector pump rebuild or is there another cause of these problems?  What should I be testing?  Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:28am
Once it has run for a couple of minutes (to warm up a little) how does it start if you shut it off and try to re-start it ??    If it is COLD starting that is the issue, there is an intake manifold heater that should be used for up to 60 seconds and then start it. The injection pump has issues on the stalling thing. Maybe low idle is set too low or maybe the pump needs to be OH'd. Two different problems I think.
Jayvan77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:42am
I think that I only had it running once when it would have been completely warmed up.  When I tried to start it back up, it would not start.  I will try it again when I can get a chance.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:56am
It should restart easily after 2 or 3 minutes of run time. Shouldn't have to be fully "in the green" for coolant temp.
Jayvan77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:24am
I will try it again tomorrow after work.  If it doesn't start, Injector Pump rebuid?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 12:20pm
if you send pump and injectors off to be rebuilt ,it will never need it again in your lifetime. Money well spent. DON'T PULL PUMP WITHOUT FIRST SETTING TIMING!!!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 12:42pm
Hard starting can also be related to slow/poor starter cranking speed. You've obviously got enough battery to swallow ether into the air cleaner and then fire, but what is the cranking speed ?? 
Jayvan77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 1:08pm
It spins over at a pretty good rate.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 1:39pm
Low compression makes any diesel harder to start and even harder when COLD. Normally after a couple of minutes of running, there is enough heat built up in the combustion chamber that the engine will easily restart without ether. This would be considered normal. If yours doesn't, then run it for 20 minutes at full throttle and see if it will restart then when HOT. If it doesn't start then, I'd say it's pump and probably injector time.  Checking your blow-by fumes will indicate something good or bad.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 3:28pm
Sounds to me like a leaking delivery valve stop, or worn out head & rotor, both addressed in a pump rebuild. If it runs good, not missing, the injectors wouldn't necessarily need to be done at that time. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Jayvan77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 3:31pm
I'll get it going tomorrow and see if running it awhile will allow it to restart after its good and warm.  I will look for a place to get it rebuilt.  thanks

ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 5:37pm
Our own injpumpEd does excellent pump rebuilds and is a wealth of knowledge. You might talk to him about rebuilding the pump.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 1:39pm
Ditto on Ed.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Jayvan77 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 8:13am
I got it started last night with ether and used it for awhile to make sure it was up to temp.  Could get it to idle down to 1000 rpm before it died.  Tried to restart it but would not.  If I can't find a local shop to rebuild the pump, I will contact Ed.  Thanks everyone

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 8:16pm
Might also get the injectors checked out too.

Edited by sparky - 06 Jun 2024 at 8:19pm
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 8:18pm
Might also get the injectors checked out too. Ed will guide you through the best steps to take. Good luck.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 10:26am
One key here is does it smoke while turning over.  IF it does not it is either low transfer pump pressure - found one with a broke spring in vanes last week - or worn head - or someone set the popping pressure too high for the wear in the head -the tractor is old. There could be a few issues inside the pump as well as Ed stated.  IF it does smoke, it could be timing or low compression. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic