This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner K vs K2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner K vs K2
    Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 2:03pm
Will a 3-row 330 corn head from a K fit on a K2? i.e Do they use the same mounting arrangement?
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 5:11pm
dertz19, Yes ~ might require some additional things? Please share some more info.
Is 330 an orange or a black frame?

What serial# is the K2?
Does K2 have double sprocket (25t-13t) header drive ?

Edited by AC7060IL - 03 Jun 2024 at 5:15pm
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 11:47pm
Good questions! To which I don't know many of the answers.
I drove 6 hours Sunday to look at this nice K2 with a 12' soybean header. Of course on the drive home, I started thinking of all kinds of things I should have looked closer at- including the throat-to-header situation. I am aware of the challenges in finding 330 corn headers for the K series. I presently use a '68 G, so I am familiar with the 4 hooks on that arrangement for a corn head. This K2 is a corn-soybean special. I'm guessing early in the 2 series-  it has a manual hopper auger, the seat in the cab is solid black. There is one drive sprocket on the throat for the header. 

As I suspected, I think the answer to my question about the corn header is "maybe, but it depends", which is what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 1:36pm
Allow me to better explain in detail & why I asked about more info.
I have seen many K & K2 combines with a complete older (1960s) header small 4 hook setup. Meaning they contained upper "outer pin lock plates" with a corresponding "spring pins tube installed) that were added to the "upper" front of their threshing throat(housing) making them useful for either gleaner cornhead color. Gleaner engineered usually did a great job of manufacturing machines for a longer customer continuity via multiple era attachment(headers,etc).  ALL of the K2 combines(1977-1981) were manufactured with "upper slots" machined into their front threshing housings(throats) to allow for older headers. The earlier 1977/78 K2 models usually contained additional "outer pin lock plates" factory installed(welded in) & possibly an upper spring pin tube. The 1979-1981 K2 models usually did not contain the "outer pin lock plates" or accompanying spring pin tube. But if farmer wanted, this prior era setup could easily be completed thru dealership parts counter & repair shop for some welding on this "outer pin lock plate."

In short, a farmer could keep/run their older orange cornhead or opt to upgrade to a newer 1977 debuted black cornhead? Additionally, these older "upper slot/pins" won't obstruct a mounted black cornhead which uses that cornhead's newer "upper larger over the top pipe hooks" which ALL the K(1969-1976) & K2 have an "upper Pipe" attached onto their top front of their threshing housing(throat) to accept newer black cornheads.

I never ran an orange head, but guessing the 13t header drive sprocket drove it??
The double sprocket 25t-13t may be found on salvage yard K, K2, F, F2 machines. It is not difficult to remove/install if you use a puller tool. Counter shaft where it resides is tappered & keyed. Hope this helps?

Edited by AC7060IL - 05 Jun 2024 at 1:39pm
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 10:16pm
Fabulous- This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!! 
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 10:22pm
You could also use a corn head off an E. I have a k 238 on my E. Just have to add the tube to the feeder housing 
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 10:46am
As 7060 states - orange heads had 13 tooth drive sprockets - black 330's had 25-13 double sprockets tapered bores - some of the earliest K still had square non tapered sprockets which will not concern this swap - The orange K-F 330 heads had an offset drive bracket as the throat sprocket was too narrow to go direct and had to have a jackshaft for alaignment. ( we bypassed that by bolting a 13 tooth OEM drive sprocket to the hub sticking out with longer studs.) 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic