This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Startup Issue Theorizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Startup Issue Theorizing
    Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 11:07am
My first thought was rebuilt carburetor issue starving for fuel but loss of spark is another possibility (however remote).  I'm thinking outside the box for my resumption of work at the end of the month.  The generator was fully reconditioned (new internal wiring, bearings, gears, could have bought a new one for that price).  On firing up, the engine appears to fire all 4 cylinders normally then simply shuts off.  

I wonder if the generator being polarized "backwards" could counter the battery and shut off the coil for a moment after the regulator kicks in and it spins up???

I'll disconnect the load and battery wires first thing and test the output if this is a possibility.

Edited by dfwallis - 02 Jun 2024 at 11:23am
1952 CA13092
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 12:30pm
clean the gas tank out let in the bottom is probleley plugged
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 12:30pm
sounds remote to me... but pull the wires off the generator and start with just the battery to power the starter  and distributor to prove your point.

Weak coils and condensers can cause this problem... but you can verify NO SPARK when it happens..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

clean the gas tank out let in the bottom is probleley plugged

Gas tank has been completely sand blasted/cleaned, inside sealed with POR 15, new settlement bowl and screen, and painted.  Plenty of gas in the carburetor float bowl, good flow rate.
1952 CA13092
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

sounds remote to me... but pull the wires off the generator and start with just the battery to power the starter  and distributor to prove your point.

Weak coils and condensers can cause this problem... but you can verify NO SPARK when it happens..

New coil, points, condenser, 100% all new wiring harness.  Good strong spark at least initially.  Wasn't checked at the point the tractor dies.
1952 CA13092
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 4:01pm
Try a new condenser! I've had nothing but problems with the new ones. Just went through that with a cub loboy. Clean tank, good gas at carb, new carb, finally because of past problems with condensers I put a different one it starts and runs like it should. The condenser had about 3 hrs on it. Good luck but let us know what you find.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 4:01pm

Do you have the old condenser? I found the 20yo used unit was more reliable than two new ones I bought and replaced it with (as full system replacement) for my Ferguson 35. Out of desperation to get work done, I put the old one back in and all good.

I've heard others having the same problems.

They are a part not much more sophisticated than kitchen aluminum foil rolled between kitchen waxed paper and stuffed in a can.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 5:17pm
YEP.... "new" condenser dont mean much these days..
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEP.... "new" condenser dont mean much these days..

I still have the old one.  I don't suspect the condenser, but I'll be on the lookout.
1952 CA13092
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 6:16pm
run it till it dies........ then pull a plug wire and plug and check spark..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic