This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got a Hd5g in trade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got a Hd5g in trade
    Posted: 22 May 2024 at 9:56pm
Traded some welding and fabrication for this machine, I would love to use it for a year or two on a property I got. it starts right up and moves and steers. Cylinders have been rebuilt and seem to be good condition. It does leak just about every type of fluid from somewhere but the main issue I see is one side track is loose and the other is good. I was actually amazed because the sprockets havent been welded and seem very good condition,the side with the loose track has woen down the back side of the sprocket tooth but I believe i can re surface that. the grousers are still like an inch tall and on the underside of track, there isnt any wearing through on the chain. One of the idlers seems to be different and I hope to get some information from more knowledgeable people. Thank you in advance,The model number on the back behind the counterweight is Hd5g 15783

[IMG][/IMG]

Edited by Noah - 22 May 2024 at 10:38pm
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:45am
Due to the different angle of the photos it is hard to tell if the idlers are pushed forward the same amount. I am wondering if someone may have removed a link in the tighter track.

The spoked idler looks correct, not sure where the solid one came from
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 9:03am
Les,

I will get some better pictures soon. There should be 33 links correct? Thank you for the response and your help.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 10:17am
Srl # makes it a 1952 machine , can't see good of the loader cross bar behind bucket but looks like early type , not round update . Early ones had a tendency to crack in several places . Pins on loader frame may be early type where they hook to top point on loader frame - shorter by 1/2 " or so . Other part is early machines did not have 2 reverse speeds switching gearing for loader work . One extra roller was added to truck frame on long track machines .
Track is DOZER track pads as the 5G used a flat track with 3 raised area for grouser wear area. Looks like someone bent or broke the truck frame from picture of RT side angle reinforcement above rock guard , and piece added to front of Left side front of truck frame . With no counterweight or turning with full bucket they do bend the front axles easily and can bend the ears that support the front idler .
Front idler might be late HD6 , also wear on back side of sprocket may mean someone replaced the rear sprockets and switched sides of machine with them to bring unworn side of sprocket to contact bushing . Grab bushing and feel top side of it for wear to see if they have been turned . 
HD6 uses same undercarriage parts as the HD5 - in fact full rear housing on 5 and 6 are the same . 
 The single grouser will be hard on all parts of undercarriage when turning  especially if bucket is loaded - take it easy when turning 
Allis Chalmers HD5A Short Track (33 links) Oscillating Truck Frames, 44" Tread
Allis Chalmers HD5B Short Track (33 links). Oscillating Truck Frames, 44" Tread
Allis Chalmers HD5D Long Track (37 links), Oscillating Truck Frames, 60" Tread
Allis Chalmers HD5E Long Track (37 links), Oscillating Truck Frames, 60" Tread
Allis Chalmers HD5F Long Track 137 links). Rigid Truck Frames, 60" Tread
Allis Chalmers HD5G Long Track (37 links), Rigid Truck Frames, 60" Tread, equipped with TRACTOMOTIVE Front

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 23 May 2024 at 10:33am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 1:00pm
Also notice the links for bucket dump are bent , those should be straight .
A picture of HD5G from Face book site  for AC Crawlers 
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=8257971664232905&set=pcb.7391130264318875
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 9:52am
Coke,

Thanks for the reply and information. I knew this thing was well used and obviously over 70 years old, am I crazy for thinking I can get a year or two of off and on use out of it? I didn't even notice the dump links being so bent. There are quite a few cracked welds in the loader area but I figure that's the least of my worries. What additional pictures or information would help to identify the cause of the loose right side track. Thank you again, I have a passion for keeping old things going, so this loader caught my eye. Mostly just concerned lack of parts in the UC will be my downfall. Unless I can find more hd6 parts to swap..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 1:47pm
just noticed the odd plate on truck frame by spring or adjuster area , looks like might have been a attaching point for some other use like dozer framework or something . 
 Looking at area just ahead of sprocket can't see if it is welded there from repair or replacement . 
 my HD5G is a 1955 , sold a 1948  HD5B  (4 digit serial #) nd a 1952 HD5G a few years back 
 It's not always age but previous use that makes a machine worth keeping .
Just noticed bucket dump cylinders , not HD5G cylinders , have been replaced with a later style . Evidently in it's past life a lot of modifications or replacement parts have been obtained 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 24 May 2024 at 1:50pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 2:00pm
A threaded rod is used to push the idler ahead for track adjustment.  There is a diamond shaped piece also threaded, the outer corners have bolts sucking them up tight as a lock to keep rod from turning.

Judging undercarriage in pictures is still just an educated guess. I would say the one track look tighter than it should be. But it looks like the tractor may have backed into were it is sitting. This always tightens the track, a trick the tractor jockeys used at auction sales of crawlers. They made both styles of idlers. I think they are the same size. The old HD5 G here has one of each as well.

A very capable machine. I have lifted rocks that we chained to stay on the bucket with the HD 5G that is here.  A ruff guess of over 3 ton, the tractor was tipped up on the idlers, and we backed a flatbed truck under the bucket. Just don't use it as a battering ram.  Of course, don't think you can move things as fast as a newer machine.  If you take your time it will move a lot.
AjsAllis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AjsAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 3:54pm
Sent a pm
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:33pm
I imagine the replacement cylinders may have more lifting force, causing the bent links. There are quite a few welding repairs to accomplish but that doesn't scare me. Lack of parts do. I haven't been able to do anything with the loader quite yet. I will update you all real soon. Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 4:06pm
I see in one picture the outboard axle bearing has a grease zerk in the plate and 2 guards welded onto it . Many were drilled in the housing instead of the cap as there is a flat area that is easily modified . As dozer frame was bolted onto the housing on the  B crawlers with outside frame attached at axle .
 Parts are out there as many of the machines are still around - might not be running but parted out . Was a common weak spot it seems of upper rear first reduction bearing on outboard side , to go bad and crack housing 
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 10:13pm
Okay, sorry for the long delay. After building the grizzly grate i traded for the hd5, I built this trailer so I would have a way to haul it. I estimate my 7.3 f250 to be GVWR at 25k lb on the way home with the loader on trailer. I will be unloadimg in the morning. :)
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 10:39pm
The entire truck frame, chain and tracks on the right side are from an HD6, I'll post more pictures tmrw.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 10:44pm
nice trailer........... to go with the HD ! ........... thats a DECK on a House trailer frame ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Jun 2024 at 10:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 11:21pm
Thanks! It was an old rv frame I got for 300$ I had a set of axles that matched. Most of the I beam was leftover material from welding jobs and the deck was a roof rack that was cut off a box truck awhile back.it worked out for under 1k in material. not bad for a monster garage style build. I only had like 4 days to build

Edited by Noah - 07 Jun 2024 at 10:16pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 5:38am
Smallerized for you:

Edited by Codger - 07 Jun 2024 at 5:41am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 8:24am
Noah... this site likes photos about 800 x 600 pixels... You camera is taking 3000 x 2000 size or more..... If your on a computer, open in PAINT and RESIZE them prior to posting.. If your on a cell phone, e-mail to yourself and resize then post... Some sites "shrink to fit".. this site does not do that.

You have 80 MB of storage on this site... you can SAVE space by shrinking PRIOR to downloading..

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Jun 2024 at 8:25am
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 8:30am
Thank you Steve and Codger. Let me know if this one shows up better. When I run low on the 80mb of storage, am I able to delete photos from older posts to make more room?

It looks like both sides of the machine have been swapped to the HD6E undercarriage.

Edited by Noah - 07 Jun 2024 at 8:31am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 9:29am
your still a bit large... maybe 1200 pixels wide... try about 25- 30% smaller..... some cameras take 3000 x 2000 pixel photos and some of the newer ones are in the 5000 x 3000 range .......... I take my photos and make them 15- 20% of the original size to get down to 750 -800 wide size.

YES. you can delete old photos to get more space...  If your photos are 2 MB... you can post about 40 photos.... If you can shrink them to 100 Kb you can get 800 photos !! ... try to keep the photos live for a couple months.. After that , most posts fade away never to be seen again..

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Jun 2024 at 9:31am
West Logging View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote West Logging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 3:53pm
great to see photos puts reality into post
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 5:30pm
Now the fun begins, hopefully I can get this track figured out. I ran the machine for about 20 minutes smoothing my my driveway and decided it needs immediate attention.

Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 6:04pm
I loosened the cap lock and tightened the adjusting screw all the way in and didn't do anything to reduce slack. What next?

Edited by Noah - 07 Jun 2024 at 9:20pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 6:46am
Smallerized again:

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 7:02am
You need to removed the bolt each side from the yoke and turne the rod adjustement counterclock wise if the tread still good in yoke
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 7:02am
I think but am not entirely positive you have a couple of different type track adjuster parts that are not working together. From your last photo I see a hydraulic yolk for tensioning the track incorporated with a mechanical type adjuster. These are not used together at all. In the hydraulic type, there is a piston with a seal that grease pushes against to force the front idler wheel forward. In the mechanical style, that externally hex shaped rod is what pushes the idler wheel forward.

I've not worked on AC machinery of this vintage/size myself so only surmising, but again it looks to me from this angle you have incompatible parts installed such as a mechanical adjuster from the original tractor, and replacement parts from a donor. Again, I don't know for sure. Have you counted the actual track shoes to ensure one is not longer than the other such as having a link removed? Pulling straws with that one but have seen stranger things done to keep old machinery operating.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

I loosened the cap lock and tightened the adjusting screw all the way in and didn't do anything to reduce slack. What next?...

Turn it the other way? Confused
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

I loosened the cap lock and tightened the adjusting screw all the way in and didn't do anything to reduce slack. What next?...

Turn it the other way? Confused

Yikes, I wasn't thinking to well last night. 🤡

Thanks Les and Codger, just needed to turn the other way. Thanks. Sure did take some slack out now.

Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I think but am not entirely positive you have a couple of different type track adjuster parts that are not working together. From your last photo I see a hydraulic yolk for tensioning the track incorporated with a mechanical type adjuster. These are not used together at all. In the hydraulic type, there is a piston with a seal that grease pushes against to force the front idler wheel forward. In the mechanical style, that externally hex shaped rod is what pushes the idler wheel forward.

I've not worked on AC machinery of this vintage/size myself so only surmising, but again it looks to me from this angle you have incompatible parts installed such as a mechanical adjuster from the original tractor, and replacement parts from a donor. Again, I don't know for sure. Have you counted the actual track shoes to ensure one is not longer than the other such as having a link removed? Pulling straws with that one but have seen stranger things done to keep old machinery operating.

I counted pads and both sides have 37.

I believe the zerk fittings were added or came standard on the HD6E the tracks came off. I believe the grease fittings are just for the threaded rod and do not tightened the tracks with hydraulics. What also odd is that Coke said this was a 1952 machine based on serial number but the machine has two speed reverse.

Edited by Noah - 08 Jun 2024 at 8:44am
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 6:45pm

... What also odd is that Coke said this was a 1952 machine based on serial number but the machine has two speed reverse...

Sweet! Big smile
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 4:36pm
I believe all the HD 5G are the 2 speed reverse.  I have an HD5 B with a 2 speed reverse and have seen others with it also.  Most HD 5 B's sold here new where for ag work pulling farm equipment so most had 5 forward and 1 reverse. So I guess they could be ordered ether way.

The grease fitting in picture has been added.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic