This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I promised you guys pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I promised you guys pics
    Posted: 20 May 2024 at 7:18pm
of my cars awhile back. Here is two of the three. I took pic of the third one, but they didn't come out.
Here is the 1923 23-35, and the '31

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 7:22pm
The third is a '29 two door Coupe with rumble seat and golf bag door. I'll get pics soon. Problem is it is in a storage facility, and it is very dark in there and no lights.

All Buicks

Edited by LouSWPA - 20 May 2024 at 7:22pm
Wait for the Lord;
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 7:45pm
Very nice
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 8:33pm
I agree, very nice!!
jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 5:42am
Nice little collection of old cars!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 8:01am

Very rare to see an old Buick, let alone three.  
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 9:03am
My family is threatening to have me medically evaluated!
The blue one, the 1923, as near as I can tell, is basically original. The odometer says 30K miles, but the wear on the peddles suggests probably 130k, so I don't know. Anyhow, I like the 'Grapes of Wrath' look so my intention is to preserve, not restoration. Clean it and maintain it from further deterioration. Not sure yet, how I am going to accomplish that. Suggestions are welcome. This car is probably going to be serving parade duty and trailered to such events, as well as static shows. My main interest here if for the youth see what a 100+ year old car looks like. BTW, that car was manufactured with rear brakes only! It uses a drum with a band around the outside for service brakes, with a shoe brake on the inside for a parking/emergency brake. On this car, the parking brake is nonexistent! for some reason previous owner found it necessary to remove it. I got lucky and found a derelict that was rotting into the ground that the owner was happy to get out of his yard at a reasonable price. The brake parts are there and appear to be useable. This was fortunate because parts for these cars are unobtanium! 

The black one, the '31 is the recipient of a sloppy restoration sometime in its life. Looks good from 50 feet, but lots of blemishes in the paint up close. A lot of 'sins' were simply painted over. On top of that, there are plenty of 'hanger rash' in addition to the sloppy paint prep. Dents, chipped paint, etc. It also needs a little engine work, smokes, and has some noise that suggests possibly a little rod knock. Also, the clutch peddle comes almost all the way up before it actually engages but does engage smooth and does not slip. And the brakes need adjusted. four-wheel mechanical brakes, and right now I think only one wheel is actually working. Interior is pretty good, not perfect, but OK. No restoration on this one either, just address the mechanical issues and drive it.

The '29 is currently a non-runner. Previous owner started to disassemble it for unknown reason. The interior is pretty good, and from a distance the outside looks good. It was painted in 1986, pic of the paint job at the time of the work was included with the car. However, for whatever reason the paint crazed, cracked and is chipping off in large chunks. So this one will require repainting. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Unlike Ford model 'T's and 'A's are easy to support, there are parts readily available. But not so for most other makes and models. Part of the challenge and fun for these cars is the parts chase. 
Wait for the Lord;
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 10:59am
Very nice to see. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe you should check out Hemmings Motor News and see what parts are out there.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 11:06am
Very nice, as noted Hard to find Buicks of that era at all not to mention three together.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 11:38am
Originally posted by dp7000 dp7000 wrote:

Very nice to see. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe you should check out Hemmings Motor News and see what parts are out there.
Yep, I frequent HMN often, that's where I found a fellow willing to take on manufacturing a new canvas top for the '23 .
I also belong to the Buick Owners of America too
Wait for the Lord;
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 2:51pm
Yes, Very Nice 
Steve M Ind View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 8:02am
Nice cars there Lou. I just recently purchased a 1927 GMC 1 ton truck with the factory installed Buick 6 Cylinder in it. Motor is partly dis-assembled and I'm assuming stuck with all the rust on the cylinder walls. Can't wait to take possession and start tinkering with it. I might need some advice from you as I proceed.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Steve M Ind Steve M Ind wrote:

Nice cars there Lou. I just recently purchased a 1927 GMC 1 ton truck with the factory installed Buick 6 Cylinder in it. Motor is partly dis-assembled and I'm assuming stuck with all the rust on the cylinder walls. Can't wait to take possession and start tinkering with it. I might need some advice from you as I proceed.

I'll be happy to help if I can, but to be honest with you, I'm in over my head myself. First thing to do is look for any owners' clubs. Second thing to do is look for any shop manuals and/or reference manuals available. The three cars I have all had shop manuals and reference manuals available, reprints......not cheap, but extremely useful. Also, keep an eye out for an old Chilton, or Motor Manuals on E-Bay, or Facebook marketplace, etc.

A year or two ago, I gave a bunch of my dad's Chilton/Motor books away to someone on the forum, don't remember who. Wish I had them back now!

In any case, the shop manuals for the Buicks I have are not highly detailed, but the '29 I have has the six cylinder and would likely be similar to the one in your truck. So maybe I could answer a question or two there.

Good luck! 

Don't forget to post pics when possible

Steve, another thing I did was to keep looking on FB/Ebay, etc for pats cars. I'll tell you right now, in many cases, parts for these cars are simply nonexistent. I found, so far, the whole running gear for a '31 Buick on FB. It was from a fellow who had a running car, but wanted to build a hot rod with it. I bought motor, transmission, rearend, wheels, etc, and it had paid off already. Also, I found a '23 that a fellow had that had rotted into the ground. It was on his property when he bought it. Again, I went and looked at, there was a lot of salvageable parts, so I bought the whole thing, and, again, it has already paid for itself. 

Couple of things I have learned from this adventure. One, people think if you own an antique vehicle, you are rich! Two, NEVER pay the asking price, be ready to walk away if you cannot get it for a reasonable price, no matter how bad you think you need it. Like I said, people think you are rich. And, people think, because it is old, it worth a lot of money. Best advice I can give you is find a Brand/type/model owners club and join. Example, the cap and rotor for the '23 is not available. It is a unique design, and non of the aftermarket folks have one. But, through the Buick owners club I found that the distributer cap from a 62 VW will work!

Edited by LouSWPA - 22 May 2024 at 9:20am
Wait for the Lord;
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 9:26am
You got good advice already and I'll post a picture when I can.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Steve M Ind Steve M Ind wrote:

Here is where I got the manuals I have;

Faxon Auto Literature 
800 458 2734 
3901 Carter Ave
Riverside, CA 92501

In the case of the Buicks, at least, there were two relevant manuals for each car. A reference manual, which loosely resembled today's owner's manual, and a shop manual.
If they exist and are available, you would find both very useful.

keep in touch!

Edited by LouSWPA - 22 May 2024 at 9:34am
Wait for the Lord;
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 6:11pm
Really neat collection! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 7:52pm
LOu, has this been going on for some years, or did you get them all recently ?   Sounds like a Retirement Job ?? Big smile

Where do you store them ?  I see a cement block single bay double length stall ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

LOu, has this been going on for some years, or did you get them all recently ?   Sounds like a Retirement Job ?? Big smile

Where do you store them ?  I see a cement block single bay double length stall ??

Steve,
This was a kneejerk reaction to retirement. My daughter is a photographer and sh stated one day in conversation that she would like an old car for a prop. So, I saw that '23 on FB, got permission from the CFO, and home it came. Then reality set in, I realized this car was too fragile to drive around in to any extent. I wanted a car that, besides photoshoots, I could hop in it with may bride and go for an ice cream, or a ride in the park. So, once again, I started looking, and with the CFO's consent, brought home the '31.  The '29, I was pushing my luck with the financial dept, but I won her over when she saw the flower sconces inside!!! LOL This all has happened in the last five months. Like I said, none of them are show quality, and all have mechanical issues that I have been addressing. For what I have invested in these three cars, I could have bought one show quality car.....maybe. but what's the fun in that! I would constantly concerned about people touching it everywhere I went. And besides, I kinda' like the challenge of finding parts, wheeling and dealing, and actually working on these old survivors. And my daughter doesn't really care if they are perfect or not, it works for her either way.

Oh, and I keep two in a self storage facility about a mile from me, and the third in my basement, where all work is done. I drive or trailer back and forth as needed.

Edited by LouSWPA - 22 May 2024 at 10:17pm
Wait for the Lord;
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 6:49am
one important factor is you are having fun.. whether it is orange or Buick, fun is important...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Ind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 7:19am
Are your cars equipped with wooden floors or metal? If wood, is it tongue and groove?
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 9:06am
[QUOTE=Steve M Ind]Are your cars equipped with wooden floors or metal? If wood, is it tongue and groove?  Yes, wood floors, and so far as I have taken note, no Tand G[/QUOTE]

Edited by LouSWPA - 23 May 2024 at 9:07am
Wait for the Lord;
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2024 at 7:48pm
Good looking group Lou.  A feller gets real attached to them things and amazing what you'll spend on em too.
Maximum use of available resources!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2024 at 1:08pm
The reason parts are hard to come by for high-midrange cars prior to 1930... like old Buicks, Hupmobiles, REOs, Essex-Terraplanes, Knights, Caddillacs, Chryslers, Auburns...  Low production volumes-  they were significantly more expensive than Ford Ts and As, Chevrolets etc, so economics challenged sales volume... that, in conjunction with higher parts quality, made the parts demands comparatively lower. 

As years passed, many of the older high-quality cars like your Buicks were run 'till they would run-no-more, and frequently, if the owner was still economically strong, would simply buy a new Buick, and send the old to junk.

Many times, these 'survivors' got parked in carriage houses of second homes, and other times, they were turned into 'pickup trucks' for estate maintenance.  Their heavier chassis and robust drivelines made them perfect for the kinds of things we'd use a 3/4t pickup for nowdays... so it'd not be unusual to see a Stoughton cab atop a Buick chassis, with a wooden stake bed, buried in the back of a collapsed barn.

Nice collection Lou- as for the original one, they're only 'original' once.  When a guy decides to strip off the original paint, after that, it's only a 'restoration'... so fix what needs fixed, and keep the rest original.  As for the 'poor restoration', leave it that way, but keep 'em mechanically operable... and if you 'restore' one, make it your 'parade' machine.

Mechanical brakes-  that's actually 'anti-lock' brakes...  one might hang up when you step on the pedal, but the rest are 'anti lock'... LOL  My '29 Ford A is that way... but it's a different wheel each time.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

The reason parts are hard to come by for high-midrange cars prior to 1930... like old Buicks, Hupmobiles, REOs, Essex-Terraplanes, Knights, Caddillacs, Chryslers, Auburns...  Low production volumes-  they were significantly more expensive than Ford Ts and As, Chevrolets etc, so economics challenged sales volume... that, in conjunction with higher parts quality, made the parts demands comparatively lower. 

As years passed, many of the older high-quality cars like your Buicks were run 'till they would run-no-more, and frequently, if the owner was still economically strong, would simply buy a new Buick, and send the old to junk.

Many times, these 'survivors' got parked in carriage houses of second homes, and other times, they were turned into 'pickup trucks' for estate maintenance.  Their heavier chassis and robust drivelines made them perfect for the kinds of things we'd use a 3/4t pickup for nowdays... so it'd not be unusual to see a Stoughton cab atop a Buick chassis, with a wooden stake bed, buried in the back of a collapsed barn.

Nice collection Lou- as for the original one, they're only 'original' once.  When a guy decides to strip off the original paint, after that, it's only a 'restoration'... so fix what needs fixed, and keep the rest original.  As for the 'poor restoration', leave it that way, but keep 'em mechanically operable... and if you 'restore' one, make it your 'parade' machine.
It's like you was reading my mind, Dave! that is exactly the plan. the '29 Coupe w/ rumble seat will be getting restored. The other two are to be preserved.

Mechanical brakes-  that's actually 'anti-lock' brakes...  one might hang up when you step on the pedal, but the rest are 'anti lock'... LOL  My '29 Ford A is that way... but it's a different wheel each time.
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Good looking group Lou.  A feller gets real attached to them things and amazing what you'll spend on em too. WHOOOOWEEE! you got that right! The funny thing is these cars, at the level these cars are, can still be had if one shops a little, but going  from 'looks good, and runs' to Perfect cots a lot of money!
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2024 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

It's like you was reading my mind, Dave! that is exactly the plan. the '29 Coupe w/ rumble seat will be getting restored. The other two are to be preserved.

Dave a PS to your explanation concerning parts availability. In addition to what you said, the Fords are more popular, and therefor there is a significant aftermarket for parts for them. 
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic