This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting pole shed metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting pole shed metal
    Posted: 17 May 2024 at 1:44am
I bought a 30x120 pole shed last summer. This summer i want to fix it up a bit. The last owner poked holes in the walls with a fork lift. All the holes are 3 foot and below.

My idea is to cut a straight line and create a wainscoting look.

My question is how to cut the steel. A backwards blade in a circle saw is the cheapest but I think there must be a safer and nicer way to do it.
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 5:34am
Angle grinder with a metal cut disc works well for this task. A plasma cutter also works, but leaves a small ridge at the cut you may want to grind flat depending on how the new lower section is attached.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 5:43am
When I was building my garage, a neighbor brought over a rotary cutter for me to use. After using it, I never wanted to cut steel with a backward saw blade again!

The one he loaned me was not an attachment (like the link below). His was a tool designed as a rotary cutter, but I didn't find one in my search. Here is an inexpensive alternative.

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 6:55am
The above drill attachment and electric shears work well on flat stock, not so much on stock with folds/bends.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 7:35am
I used a 120 tooth carbide blade in my circular saw in the forward position. In this case I was installing new metal so it was laid flat finish side down so I could cut on the flat side. Safety glasses and hearing protection an absolute must
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 7:53am
Originally posted by KMAG KMAG wrote:

The above drill attachment and electric shears work well on flat stock, not so much on stock with folds/bends.

I used it on regular steel panels (used for roof and siding) and it worked well. It is easier to use on flats. On my steel siding, I had many cuts around windows and doors. In my opinion, it beats a circular saw, hands down.

Another option is a metal cutting saw blade. They make them for jigsaws, reciprocating saws and circular saws.

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 7:56am
Milwaukee Tools makes a circular saw especially built to cut metal. I'm sure other companies offer them.
 The Morton Bldg crew had 1 when they built my bldg.
  Although I did notice that just 1 of the crew did all of the cutting. So maybe not as easy as he made it look. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 8:06am
4.5” grinder with metal cutting blade is all we use anymore.
Not an abrasive blade but a metal cutting blade.
We e built many buildings with just one or two blades.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 5:41pm
If I remember correctly the last I cut was with a diamond concrete blade on a circular saw. To me its easier to control and safer than a angle grinder. Not that im a safety wimp i just dont enjoy accidents as much as I used to
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 5:44pm
Are Several Cold Cut metal Saws, I own one of the noted Milwaukee.  Does NOT throw Sparks as severely as a Cutoff wheel or plasma cutter, less chance to set fire to the building structure and is how the contractor built my Shop and Barn.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 6:02pm
If the metal is already attached and well supported as in the stringers being 2-foot instead of 10-foot apart --- you guys are gonna laugh --- but you will be surprised at how well this works --- take one of those old GOOD butcher-knives --- like an Old Hickory or Case --- get the knife started on the cut line by shoving it through the metal like it was an enemy --- now, holding the knife handle in one hand and your favorite hammer in the other, hammer the back side of the blade and guide the knife in the proper direction by how much or little you twist the handle.

This is far easier and quicker than it sounds and you can even follow curves if necessary.

The cut edge will be clean.

Just don't cut through any wires.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 6:16pm
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 6:45pm
I have both a Milwaukee metal cutting saw, and an 18 gauge shear, both are very easy to use. With the metal saw, would recommend wearing throw away coveralls.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2024 at 7:58pm
Also super-fast, easy to control, can go straight or make intricate turns, I have one of those pneumatic Harbor Freight sheet-metal "nibblers" = wonderful for dealing with metal roofing/siding.

The only drawback is that it makes a 3/8" kerf; if one is hoping to use the cut-off piece, it is going to be 3/8" shorter than it was when you started.

It rapidly cuts millions of tiny C-shaped bits of metal as it nibbles it's way along.
AveryD12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveryD12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2024 at 7:42am
Nibblers as BuckSkin described works best for cutting across the corrugations. I have also used a blade for my “skilsaw” made specifically for cutting metal. If the metal is already installed and you plan to cut it in place, I would go with the nibblers
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 3:28am
Thank you guys for all your thoughts. I have a nibblers and it was the worst tool for this I felt. It was hard to keep straight and I struggled to get it to follow the terrain.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 6:49am
to keep it straight, screw a straight 2by4 or 1by4 on to use as a 'guide'.
just be sure to mount it on the lower side( what you cut off).
the cuts will be faster and 'laser level'.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 8:42am
seems like a small 4.5 inch hand grinder with a steel cutting blade is the cheapest and fastest sollution.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2024 at 2:58pm
The only thing I will recommend is using safety equipment whatever you end up using. Most of the saws throw out all kinds of metal shrapnel. Hearing protection is also recommended if using a circular saw.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 7:51am
I cut out the windows in my shop used a dual saw cuts wonderful easy to guide and makes a nice clean cut. When I built the shop windows were back ordered so I framed but just #heeted over to get the building closed in had the windows for a year before putting them in was dreading cutting already installed new wall. Got a dual saw from Menards many years ago when working on a boats. Rembered how nice a jod it did on the boat so I tried on steel wall. Worked great. Even the part I had to do on ladder.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 2:03pm
+1 on the "shear"...  Cutoff wheel/grinders work good, but are loud and produce sparks.

Edited by GSTROM99 - 21 May 2024 at 2:05pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2024 at 6:16pm
Jay gave advice. Mount a guide on the wall to be cut. Fix it where the saw can't damage the good part of panel. Time well spent. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic