This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 turns by itself

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shivvets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 turns by itself
    Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 6:00pm
What would cause our 8070 to want to turn the steering wheel and wheels to the left when the tractor is sitting running in park? We just replaced the hydraulic oil filter and it started after that.

It acts up worse when the oil is cold.
Sponsored Links

I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 7:41pm
What comes to mind is a problem with the centering springs in the steering valve. If you turn the steering wheel will it steer back in the other direction? 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 7:50pm
Orbital steering valve has air in it from the changeout of the filter breaking the system integrity. You need to cycle the steering full lock to lock several times and it will purge. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Shivvets View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shivvets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:38pm
Sorry for my ignorance on this, but how would I do that?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:03pm
Full left with the steering wheel, then full right  several times against the steering stops.. Could take a dozen times but is usually faster if oil is hot. I like to raise front end clear of the floor so not grinding the tires. 

Not an ignorant question at all.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic