This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 post solenoid question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 post solenoid question
    Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 2:07pm
Ahh, the questions keep piling up! 
Today, I am wondering what to do with my 4 post solenoid, according to the schematic below, no wire is going from the ignition terminal post on the solenoid.

However, another diagram shows the ignition terminal on the solenoid going directly to the coil with a wire. 
As I am currently having trouble starting the tractor, I just want to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes with my wiring. 

Should the ignition terminal on the 4 post solenoid go to the coil ?
I bought a new coil with internal resistor to make it easier to work with and less parts to break.

I am getting spark out of the spark plugs, but I'm not sure how strong the spark needs to be. And there are other factors to consider that I am working on like the battery and carburetor, so it could be nothing to do with this wire, just wanted to check in to make sure.

Edited by ElementalEarth - 15 Feb 2024 at 2:11pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 3:52pm
some older cars had a coil with an EXTERNAL resistor... that drops the voltage to the coil so it dont work so hard.... That "I" terminal on the solenoid was a BYPASS wire to the coil that went around the EXT resistor to get a HOT SPARK when cranking.. As soon as the motor starts, that terminal goes dead and you were running thru the resistor to the coil..

NO.. you dont need that terminal..... new 12 v coil with internal resistor... follow that print.

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Feb 2024 at 3:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ElementalEarth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 4:06pm
Ok thanks, so it is likely a different issue then. I am getting spark, blue in color. But no fire. She cranks, but doesn't start.

Edited by ElementalEarth - 15 Feb 2024 at 4:08pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 5:58pm
Figured it out, was indeed not the wiring, I did that correctly, but a dirty carburetor most likely and weak battery. Cleaned out carb and charged battery in a warm room. Got her going again!

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

some older cars had a coil with an EXTERNAL resistor... that drops the voltage to the coil so it dont work so hard.... That "I" terminal on the solenoid was a BYPASS wire to the coil that went around the EXT resistor to get a HOT SPARK when cranking.. As soon as the motor starts, that terminal goes dead and you were running thru the resistor to the coil..

NO.. you dont need that terminal..... new 12 v coil with internal resistor... follow that print.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 6:05pm
if you got a crappy gas tank, it sometimes is a good idea to add an aftermarket inline filter between the tank and carb ... at least until you get a good cleaned out tank.. Dont hurt to have the filter there FOREVER.. Take off the steel line and replace with hose and filter.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElementalEarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 6:34pm
Someone already put an inline in there, i just replaced it last week with new hose. Do you get rid of sediment bowl assembly?
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by ElementalEarth ElementalEarth wrote:

Someone already put an inline in there, i just replaced it last week with new hose. Do you get rid of sediment bowl assembly?

I kept the sediment bowl on my Model C and added an inline filter as Steve suggests above. The sediment bowl catches the big chunks and is easy to see and clean as needed.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 11:10am
Just make sure you use a gravity feed filter on a gravity fed fuel system. Not a fuel pump type filter.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic