This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clamp on duals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSnerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clamp on duals
    Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 2:24pm
I need to get duals for the 7030 and am thinking about clamp ons.  They would be cheaper and finding the hubs for axle mounts might be difficult, at least finding used ones.  New ones are expensive.  I want to space them out to fit 30" rows.  This will put more strain on the wheel.  Is the wheel strong enough to handle it?  I know years ago they said not to use clamp ons on IH tractors, the 06, 56 series in particular because some broke the wheel.
Sponsored Links

Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 2:46pm
We had some on a 7020, worked fine except one time, we were moving from on farm to another and the road going down the hill narrowed and a huge hump on the side of the road, when we drove over it, the right side dual popped off, rolled down the hill and cut eh valve stem.
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 6:45pm
Had clamp on duals with a 6 inch spacer to split 30 inch rows on a 7030. Used it for years with no problem.
Steve
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:00pm
We had clamp on for an IH 826(16.9x38) once per spring one of the axle clamp bolts would break. Replace the bolt, good for another year.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
MrSnerdly View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSnerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:08pm
I thought they would be OK but wanted to get some opinions of others, preferably others that have used them.  Thanks for the replies.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:13pm
It was a problem that never affected an Allis. IH had a problem keeping hubs tight and would also break an occasional axle.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:48pm
Planted corn for a neighbor years ago who was terminally Ill. He had a White 2-105 with a JD 7000 6 row narrow, had clamp on duals set just right the corn rows were between the tire tracks.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 11:34am
Do you're own measuring, but I don't think you'll get clamp on dual to run perfectly down the center of the rows. If you're just planting you might get close enough to not run over the corn. I don't think you'll get 30" from tire center to center with clamp on's. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 12:44pm
What are you doing to need duals fitting 30in rows? For planting it won't matter much. Have 30.5's on my 220 and plant 12-30's with it. Planter runs about 10in into tire track. Can't see a difference. For knifing or a big cultivator your plant is going to have to be small with band duals.
MrSnerdly View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSnerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 1:04pm
I haven't decided yet what I will use the tractor on, the planter or the sprayer.  I have another tractor and it will be good to have another one.  I don't even have the tractor yet, supposed to get it this week if all goes well.  I was leaning to planting a little more than spraying.  Duals aren't really necessary for planting or spraying except that my ground is pretty rough and I would like them for stability.
skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 9:23pm
This was on a 7045, got along great for many years. Had an extra band width welded on to make for 30 inch spacing.
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:19am
You may already know this, but get the T-Rail style. I had the claw style that clamps over the edge of the rim. It worked fine for me for years, but you can’t get replacement clamps anymore. Unless you have a connection to some good used ones. In time the claws wear thin, spring out, etc.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:24am
My 7060 has nearly the same setup as skateboarder68's 7045 spaced duals. I measured it's spacers & tire centers as follows. 
18.4-38s, DMI clamp on duals with 2 - 8.5" steel band spacers (17" combined).
inside tires set at 62" centers.
outside duals set at 122" cenrters.
It does tillage, mowing, planting, etc and never has any issues. It's rear wheels each usually have 3 - 300 lb Martin? outer wheel weights. If it doesn't need the weight, they can easily be removed with forklift & an air impact. Same for the duals. If they're not required, a 4x6 wooden block under inside tire to lift weight off dual, then an air impact can remove them in 5-10 minutes & they're rolled away to lean against something until later. Biggest challenge to remounting clamp-on duals is to get them tight(initial tighten, brief drive/check, re-tighten, another brief drive/check again, re-tighten as needed...). 

Edited by AC7060IL - 31 Jan 2024 at 7:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic