This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future of Gleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N6PETE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future of Gleaner
    Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:18pm
What is the status of Gleaner? 
Sponsored Links

Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 9:54pm
As of last month no new models coming from Gleaner. Still the S96/7/8 until at least next year according to my dealer. That would make the current models what 9 years old? Time for a some serious improvements. Nothing wrong with the current offerings (just bought a new one last month) but they are falling behind the other manufacturers in capacity.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 6:00am
The Gleaner line (as I see it) will never be more than a Class 8 machine with the current overall transverse rotor width design. There have been rumors that a big change was coming to alter the design, but with new combine sales lagging industry wide, there might be a delay. As it stands, you want bigger?? you purchase the Fendt Ideal combine. You want smaller?? you buy a Gleaner.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 1:39pm
Keeping up with the Jone's can be co$tly......has to be ROI to work.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 6:17pm
The Super series will get some new upgrades.  Possibley the T series. This was posted on one of the Gleaner sites. As to the future, there are some changes possible to increase the capacity a tad more that are rumored.  the cage/cylinder was increased in size once... to do it again would require streacccching it some.. just rumors... :-) 

Edited by tbran - 22 Jan 2024 at 6:18pm
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 8:31pm
One word comes to mind…. “Infancy.”
IMO, the current Gleaner rotary combine is still in its infancy.
So it’s inherent performance potential has yet to be realized. That is a compliment to the Gleaner group of employees responsible for initiating development of a 1968 experimental N1 rotary processor on a Gleaner G and their continued efforts right up to the present S9 series.

Beyond BTO’s grandeur, World agriculture is rapidly evolving along with it’s Future harvesting opportunity necessities. The bigger picture doesn’t always mean bigger capacity. Maximum potentials ~ Yes…
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 9:37pm
What I find interesting is the nexat appears to use the natural flow concept but nobody is talking about it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 3:08am
The Gleaner "size" problem is you can only transport or ship things that are so wide down the road or in a shipping container. This hampers the overall rotor length and keeps it (thus far) at 90 inches, where lengthwise/axial rotors are 10 to 16 feet long. Then remember, the feederhouse needs to be wider for more capacity and with it being offset to the right, is limited (maxxed out now) because of the right drive tires. Soooo, the drive tires would have to be moved out and that causes tread spacing/row spacing issues.

Edited by DrAllis - 23 Jan 2024 at 6:19am
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 9:41am
I have no intention of switching to Fendt, or Claas, or New Holland, or any other twin rotor design. The amount of stuff on those machines is a bit concerning at the least. I did take a close look at them last year and was not impressed at all way too much going on and surprisingly built much lighter than I expected. I suppose that is to reduce weight but it didn't look good. My vision for a larger Gleaner would be a centered feeder house with a single chain feeding a conventional cylinder. Behind that a single transverse rotor splitting the crop flow with a discharge on both sides of the combine. Keep the accelerator rolls and use some variations of the v cooling system that was used on the massey combines to deal with the fact that the engine would be boxed in on both ends. The unloading auger also needs some attention, it's way too short/low for most guys. As it is it doesn't even clear the cab of some grain cart tractors. I know that anything to do with substantially increasing capacity will also increase complexity and weight but Gleaner is not going to maintain/grow market share without making changes. Maybe this idea has already been tried and not worked but....
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 10:07am
I have no intention of switching to Fendt, or Claas, or New Holland, or any other twin rotor design. The amount of stuff on those machines is a bit concerning at the least. I did take a close look at them last year and was not impressed at all way too much going on and surprisingly built much lighter than I expected. I suppose that is to reduce weight but it didn't look good. My vision for a larger Gleaner would be a centered feeder house with a single chain feeding a conventional cylinder. Behind that a single transverse rotor splitting the crop flow with a discharge on both sides of the combine. Keep the accelerator rolls and use some variations of the v cooling system that was used on the massey combines to deal with the fact that the engine would be boxed in on both ends. The unloading auger also needs some attention, it's way too short/low for most guys. As it is it doesn't even clear the cab of some grain cart tractors. I know that anything to do with substantially increasing capacity will also increase complexity and weight but Gleaner is not going to maintain/grow market share without making changes. Maybe this idea has already been tried and not worked but....
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 11:42am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The Gleaner "size" problem is you can only transport or ship things that are so wide down the road or in a shipping container. This hampers the overall rotor length and keeps it (thus far) at 90 inches, where lengthwise/axial rotors are 10 to 16 feet long. Then remember, the feederhouse needs to be wider for more capacity and with it being offset to the right, is limited (maxxed out now) because of the right drive tires. Soooo, the drive tires would have to be moved out and that causes tread spacing/row spacing issues.

Could you gain capacity by increasing rotor diameter?   Could always add length to a machine.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 12:21pm
Rotor diameter was increased from 25 to 30 inches on the Super 67/77 series. It did indeed gain capacity as long as the increase in tonnage can get up the throat to the hungrier rotor. I don't know that the % increase from 30 to 35 inches would yield the same results as 25 to 30 inches. And then there's the matter of rotor peripheral speed at the cylinder bars themselves. They'd have to run less RPM to prevent grain damage and then that allows for the crop to want to fall back into the rotor when at the top of the cage if speed is too slow. So, I can't really answer the question for certain.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 7:27pm
I am not sure if increasing rotor diameter without increasing length would be possible without an increase in rotor loss. That was why I was thinking of a conventional cylinder first to give it an extra thresh and allow more of the rotor for separation. The biggest problem with the feeder house is in the transition area between the two chains, if that could be eliminated it would easily increase the feeder house capacity. I have only ever plugged it up in the transition area and only when coming out of a kochia patch back into good crop. The kochi makes everything gummy and when dry crop enters after it balls up between the chains. The current setup could definitely be tweaked some more to get a decent increase in capacity without a completely new model but I think the 7cyl engine is maxed out. Can easily load the S98 to 100% engine load in wheat, barley, canola and corn. In corn with a 12 row chopping head horse power is definitely the limiting factor. A bigger engine that wouldn't be working as hard should last longer and use less fuel. Also might reduce def usage which is over a gallon an hour at times. A larger clean grain elevator is also required as it can be overwhelmed in 25% corn if you push too hard. Lots of little things could be changed to make it not only bigger but also better.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 4:57pm

The monster acre farms are well covered by the other brands.
 Smaller and midsized machines would have a market niche to maintain.

All the gadgets and sensors on the big machines are easy failure points where you are left sitting broke down in the field waiting on long delivery for special parts. That's when you think relying on a single machine as the rain is coming, quite risky.

Possibly safer to run two smaller machines that cover the same harvest rate so one is the backup for the other and keep going.

There is a lot of homesteading going on these days so making even smaller mini combines might be prudent.

Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 9:51am
I think you make some good points jvin248. The large farms are well covered by large machines. The problem as I see it is that it may not be cost effective or possible to run one to 5000hrs and still maintain capacity. That means trading more often and that results in more used machines that have to go somewhere. That is what I think is stopping companies from building smaller ones. If I had a small farm I would rather buy a used large one and combine for a couple days than a small new one and spend the next two weeks doing the same job. The cost of the machine would likely be similar and with putting very few hours on a used machine it should last a long time. We rarely run two combines at the same time we just don't have enough people to do it. We do have some old machines sitting in the barn as backups just incase though. Actually had to use dad's old N5 a few years ago when our Challenger burned down. Did 60k bu of corn with it and it hadn't been used in 9 years prior to that. The only issue with it was the unloading auger. The combine has nearly 5000 hrs on it and still has the original auger and the tube and swivel are pretty much done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic