This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD restoration/refreshening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD restoration/refreshening
    Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 1:49pm
I've had a chance to sleep on it and have decided to pull apart the WD I bought yesterday apart, fix the transmission and cobbled electrical and give it a fresh coat of orange. The guy I got it from said the past owner before him was brush hogging and hit something. The transmission seems to have locked up. The tractor will stall as soon as the clutch is released, both with the hand clutch engaged and disengaged, neutral, in gear does not matter. It appears he has had the pto gear box off, so I suppose I will start there and see if I can see any carnage up inside.

I am guessing I am going to have to split this tractor regardless of what I find. I suppose the first step will be getting the loader frame off of it so I have more room to work.

Edited by AC WD45 - 02 Jan 2024 at 1:49pm
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 4:57pm
how sloppy is the gear shift lever ?.... DO you think it might be stuck in 2 gears ??  That might be a first look.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 5:06pm
Shifter is sloppy but it does seem to shift in and out of gears OK. I am going to pull the shifter and housing and get a good look at the shift forks. The tractor seems to roll around in Neutral, but will not run unless I hold the clutch in. This issue is present bomatter what gear or combination of clutch I try, as soon as I release the foot clutch it bogs out and dies.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 5:10pm
If he hit something, could it be PTO related to cause a lockup?  Just asking.  I've hit a dirt mound with a 45 with Woods brush hog & no slip clutch, and it didn't shear anything or kill the engine but I sure thought I tore something out.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 5:16pm
You've got PTO gear issues up inside.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

You've got PTO gear issues up inside.

My thoughts exactly Dr. Hopefully I can get the loader frame pulled off tomorrow and mess around with it a little. RTV all over the pto gear box has me really suspicious.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 7:54pm
Well, I got the loader frame off tonight and set it aside. It will go on the WD45 in the spring. I began my first visual assesment of the tractor to get an idea of what needs done. The list of what I found on my first once over is included in the photos. Tomorrow or this weekend I will see about what is locking up the transmission. I did notice the block has been repaired at some point. It seems to be holding but I think I will have it ground out and a more thoroughrepair made.

Till next time!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 8:57pm
Thanks for saving another Allis Chalmers WD!  It is appreciated.  A WD never dies, it just loses compression.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by EPALLIS EPALLIS wrote:

Thanks for saving another Allis Chalmers WD!  It is appreciated.  A WD never dies, it just loses compression.

I have always been a believer in "if it can be saved, it should be saved". I have watched some real basket case tractors come back from the dead, and this one isn't even close to dead yet!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 9:14pm
Got to be the best smelling shop in town !!  Big smile

really... that is a good looking Straight Tractor !

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Jan 2024 at 9:16pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 11:10pm
Looks like a fun project, and your list looks familiar to what I had to do to one of my wd45s. Save yourself a lot of trouble and while you are replacing the wiring harness switch it up to electronic ignition, B+B can fix you up with that too, you won't regret it. Too hard to locate good points and condensers in this day and age. They also make LED bulbs that go into the original bulb holders.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 11:41pm
I’d try cranking it over with the hand crank without the pto gear box…
It would tell if it was something with that…
On my 45 hand clutch a pin was broken allowing it to slip, so I would have to hold the lever to go up a hill…
Ended up tearing the whole tractor down anyway because the foot clutch hub broke… and here’s the ending result…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 6:16am
To bad that tractor is not in my shop. I have every part you need. I took a -40 engine apart from a 1952 WD yesterday. $50 for the block. It has a very small crack between 2 and 3. 
I see it has a WD45 carb, air cleaner and seat assembly. Is there a story that goes with that?

Edited by Lon(MN) - 04 Jan 2024 at 6:19am
http://lonsallischalmers.com
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

To bad that tractor is not in my shop. I have every part you need. I took a -40 engine apart from a 1952 WD yesterday. $50 for the block. It has a very small crack between 2 and 3. 
I see it has a WD45 carb, air cleaner and seat assembly. Is there a story that goes with that?

Lon, unfortunately the only story I have is "the last guy was using it to brush hog when he hit something and it locked up" So unfortunately I have no idea why what was done was done. As I understand, the WD45 manifold and carb is a common change. Unsure on the seat. It is definitely missing the spring and the seat shock is toast. But we will get there eventually. I've had about a dozen people tell me that about parts. But it's all in the chase I suppose!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 9:49am
You've got some work ahead of you if you going to bring it back to match your 45.  Some serious farmer engineering gone on there.  Good luck in unwinding that if that's the direction you're headed.  Who knows what mysteries you'll find.  Got to get to move first.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 12:01pm
Dang it Steve I had to go downtown and get me some of them Vanilla Trees. All my cab tractors have them swing in’!   Nice lookin project ya got here AC……
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 4:01pm
Well, I pulled the PTO gear box off, found nothing. Everything appears to be in good shape, hand clutch seems to be functioning. Checked main clutch, appears intact and functioning. Went ahead and pulled the shift tower, noticing it wouldn't shift to third. Well, thay issue was immediately diagnosed as a bad shift fork slide. I'll clean up the rust and see how it functions after, but I may just replace with a good used shift tower.

From there, I was able to inspect the transmission. Everything looks to be in fairly good shape for a 72 year old tractor. That said, it still seems to be locked up between the transmission and the main clutch. The tractor will roll fine in neutral. It will turn over and even start with the clutch pushed in, but as soon as I let off the clutch both in Neutral and in gear, it bogs out and stalls. I'm thinking the next step is going to be splitting the tractor to get the pto/hydraulic/hand clutch chunk out and get a better look, unless one of the experts have a better suggestion G_1704404825226.jpg[/IMG]

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 4:58pm
The problem is ahead of the hand clutch and under the starter.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 6:28pm

The problem is ahead of the hand clutch and under the starter.

I assume you're seeing something I am not?
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 7:02pm
Nope. Just by process of elimination. It kills the engine when you let out on the foot clutch with the tranny or hand clutch in neutral. Only thing it can be is a broken gear tooth jammed up from whatever he hit. 
Dave H (NE) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave H (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 8:13pm
In the picture of the pto gears, it looks like a gear tooth or something is wedged between the  pto gear and housing,  and the housing is cracked.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Dave H (NE) Dave H (NE) wrote:

In the picture of the pto gears, it looks like a gear tooth or something is wedged between the  pto gear and housing,  and the housing is cracked.

I believe you are referring to a picture of the transmission case where there is a visible casting flaw. Otherwise I do not see where you are seeing a cracked housing. I believe DR Allis is 100% correct. I thought he was referring to the photo of the engine clutch at first. What ever the issue is it is in the PTO drive set. I've gotna few ideas to try now when I get back to working on it. On the bright side, the final drive for the PTO is in excellent shape.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 10:02pm
Try what Doc says…
Have you pulled the inspection plate/ grease hole off?
To see if you can see anything?
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:26pm

Is this what you mean Dave?  In the lower right hand corner?  Looks like it's cracked to me also and you can see a piece sticking out.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Is this what you mean Dave?  In the lower right hand corner?  Looks like it's cracked to me also and you can see a piece sticking out.

[/IMG]

I see what you are seeing. That's what I thought iy was too, but it's nasty RTV silicone from who ever had it apart last.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 5:33am
Get a bar against the hand clutch O.D. (foot clutch locked/released) and turn the top towards the RIGHT (clockwise) sitting in the seat. Maybe a large punch and 4 lb hammer. Something is wedged.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 6:12am

Get a bar against the hand clutch O.D. (foot clutch locked/released) and turn the top towards the RIGHT (clockwise) sitting in the seat. Maybe a large punch and 4 lb hammer. Something is wedged.

That's the plan once I get out of work. We're in the slownseason so I should be back at it by noon
Will post back with any results/findings.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:31pm
Dr Allis, I took your advice and tried moving the hand clutch. The hub bolts forward the clutch are hitting the pto drive gear. Underneath it almost appears the gear set may have slid backwards?

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:48pm
There's your problem. Looks like a split maybe ??? Not there to see.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 5:45pm

There's your problem. Looks like a split maybe ??? Not there to see.

No split, I'm thinking that retainer bolt wore and allowed that geat set to back out. Snapped the darn bolt trying to back it out, going to try and extract it tomorrow.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic