This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190xt oil in exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190xt oil in exhaust
    Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 8:48pm
Have a 190xt that leaked oil from the exhaust elbow when running and drips for several minutes after shutting off. Can this be anything other than a bad turbo? I can feel a small amount of play In the turbo shaft. I rebuild this engine a not too many hours before this started. I can’t believe that I could have the rings that screwed up but I guess it’s possible. I have checked the oil return pipe and found no restrictions. Any thoughts?
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 9:00pm
Is it vented properly? Have seen plugged vent cause a diesel to push oil at turbo. 
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 1:14am
Had the same symptoms happen this fall on a 6080, oil out the pipe and over the hood, smoked alot at idle . caught it right away and put a new turbo rebuild kit and fixed it right up.   look in the  intake portion of the turbo too, oil in there is also  a indication of bad turbo oil seals.  There was no abnormal play in my turbo either but the sealing rings were gone. Advise to investigate and fix it  before your turbo is junk totally.  night and day difference after fixing it up again.
d19d d19lp 175d 190d 190gxt 190dxt 200 6080 7000 8010 9150 9190
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 2:14am
Are you sure it's not wet-stacking ?? too much idling time/cold temps ???  Need more fast RPM's and engine load. Common complaint this time of year.

Edited by DrAllis - 03 Jan 2024 at 6:18am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 8:10am
Another version of wet stacking is “bad fuel” ~ watered down fuel. Older diesels will pass watery fuel thru their injection pump, injectors, combustion chamber and then any unburned liquid gathers in exhaust. A black sooty fuel may be found exiting the exhaust pipe.
One of my trailered tractors gets road pump fuel often. One year it developed exhaust fuel soot. We drained 6-7 gal of watery fuel from its fuel tank. Knew then to become very critical about which/where diesel Petroleum brands to purchase. Shell Oil & PB became best choices.

Edited by AC7060IL - 03 Jan 2024 at 8:53am
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:53am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Are you sure it's not wet-stacking ?? too much idling time/cold temps ???  Need more fast RPM's and engine load. Common complaint this time of year.

I really don think. This problem came up 2 years ago a month or so after an overhaul. I know it was being used to front feed when it was first noticed. The tractor was basically taken out of service at that point and mostly just sat. I bought it from my father in law for a Christmas gift to my son and got into it again.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:56am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Another version of wet stacking is “bad fuel” ~ watered down fuel. Older diesels will pass watery fuel thru their injection pump, injectors, combustion chamber and then any unburned liquid gathers in exhaust. A black sooty fuel may be found exiting the exhaust pipe.
One of my trailered tractors gets road pump fuel often. One year it developed exhaust fuel soot. We drained 6-7 gal of watery fuel from its fuel tank. Knew then to become very critical about which/where diesel Petroleum brands to purchase. Shell Oil & PB became best choices.

Seems unlikely. We only use fuel from the same tank for all our equipment and have had no issues elsewhere.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:59am
I may have jumped the gun some but I ordered a turbo. This tractor already had a cheap aftermarket on it when we got it and it is mostly going to be a project/toy for my son so I ordered another cheap one.
steve(oh) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 12:36pm
How was it broken in? That fast after a rebuild, I would assume that not many hours was put on it. Did the rings ever get seated?
When your working on something how does it always seem that merphy's law come into affect?

Wide open, Untill you see God. Then Brake
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 2:47pm
Mine had that problem after I rebuilt the engine a few years ago.  Put it on the cultivator for 6 hours or so and has been good ever since.  You have to put the tractor to work to get the rings to seat.  I would not rule out your turbo either at this point.  Put it to work first though.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 9:26pm
Since you've decided to R&R the turbo, make sure to check inside the exhaust manifold (securely put a rag or paper towel on wire and run it in) and pipe from turbo to engine intake for sign of oil. I'd have suggested you find say a hay tub grinder to put it on and work it for at least 2 hours and then check for oil in exhaust. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 10:50am
I spoke to my father in law about the tractor last night. He says he ground several loads of feed over several months, thinking it may have been a ring break in issue, before parking it. In my mode they are seated. This was my 4th d2800/2900 engine and I’ve had no issue with any of the others. The turbo should be here this weekend but I’m very concerned that there is a deeper issue I just don’t know where to go next if the turbo doesn’t take care of it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:07am
Before you start swapping turbos, I challenge you to cover the grille with cardboard (to get tractor in the green) and go for a 10 miles drive down the road at full throttle road gear. When you get back see if things aren't dried up from wet-stacking. If you've got a load to hook behind it, even better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 10:40am

Before you start swapping turbos, I challenge you to cover the grille with cardboard (to get tractor in the green) and go for a 10 miles drive down the road at full throttle road gear. When you get back see if things aren't dried up from wet-stacking. If you've got a load to hook behind it, even better.

I may give that a try after I get some things back together on the tractor. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this being cold stacking. I’ve never had any equipment do that before. I’ve seen this one do this in 40-50deg weather while at pto rpm with the hydraulics running the feed auger and a feed grinder on the pto. Is there anything else that could give the same symptoms?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 12:08pm
It’s not wet stacking from what you have described 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:44pm
Funny how more information like 50 degree temperature and actual type of use comes out when you grille people. Turbochargers failing isn't terribly common. I know far more turbo's with 5-6K hrs on them still working fine than those with 500 hrs on them leaking oil. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a turbo fail period, they are that dependable. I will say there are two good brands of turbo on Allis engines : Air Research and Holset. Anything that is Rajay, Thompson or TRW are a much lesser quality turbo.

Edited by DrAllis - 06 Jan 2024 at 7:43am
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 7:52pm
Iit would be good if before you ordered the turbo to look at the intake and see if oil is leaking from old turbo.....as i said above "look at the intake portion of the turbo too, oil in there is also a indication of bad turbo seals"  there really is nowhere in the intake oil can come from other than the turbo . on the exhaust side there are other things that can contribute to oil out the exhaust.  just trying to help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 10:56am
Originally posted by 6080fwa 6080fwa wrote:

Iit would be good if before you ordered the turbo to look at the intake and see if oil is leaking from old turbo.....as i said above "look at the intake portion of the turbo too, oil in there is also a indication of bad turbo seals"  there really is nowhere in the intake oil can come from other than the turbo . on the exhaust side there are other things that can contribute to oil out the exhaust.  just trying to help

There is definatly some oil on both sides, not as much as I would like to see to be certain of a failed turbo though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 12:55pm

Funny how more information like 50 degree temperature and actual type of use comes out when you grille people. Turbochargers failing isn't terribly common. I know far more turbo's with 5-6K hrs on them still working fine than those with 500 hrs on them leaking oil. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a turbo fail period, they are that dependable. I will say there are two good brands of turbo on Allis engines : Air Research and Holset. Anything that is Rajay, Thompson or TRW are a much lesser quality turbo.

I’m not trying to play “Stump the Doctor” here. It have been posted from early on that this problem arose while grinding feed. I was glad to see you weigh in on the issue, you have helped me several times in the past. Your diagnosis just doesn’t seem to fit this time. I have to say that my experience with allis turbo tractors, although not nearly as extensive as yours, has been the exact opposite. Of the 6 turbo diesels (2-7000s 3-190XTs and a 7020) we have, only one came to us with the original turbo. One of the 190’s has had a replacement turbo fail and this may be a second.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

[QUOTE=DrAllis] Are you sure it's not wet-stacking ?? too much idling time/cold temps ???  Need more fast RPM's and engine load. Common complaint this time of year.
[/QUOTE I bought it from my father in law for a Christmas gift to my son and got into it again.
My thoughts…
1. What was tractors history while FIL owned it? Used regularly or was unused for extended period? Reason I ask is because you gave engine an overhaul after you got it??
2. When was the last time its fuel tank was emptied/cleaned? Has either your FIL or you ever emptied/cleaned tractor’s fuel tank? I got that you say your home supply fuel tank shouldn’t be pumping any water - ok. But diesel’s return fuel line adds heated fuel back into its cold fuel tank constantly while in operation. That alone over years is an opportunity for condensation to accumulate in tank.
3. Are you certain it oil & not soot diesel/water. A quick smell test can help identify it.
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 1:53pm
The  cooling down of any ag or industrial after hard use pays dividends on your turbo longevity as well as changing oil regularly.  you will see in lots of owners manuals if you stall a tractor while in use to restart immediately.  Even running a non turbo hard and just shutting down is hard on things too, i grease when letting things cool down. A turbo is really a centrifical flow jet engine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

[QUOTE=DrAllis] Are you sure it's not wet-stacking ?? too much idling time/cold temps ???  Need more fast RPM's and engine load. Common complaint this time of year.
[/QUOTE I bought it from my father in law for a Christmas gift to my son and got into it again.
My thoughts…
1. What was tractors history while FIL owned it? Used regularly or was unused for extended period? Reason I ask is because you gave engine an overhaul after you got it??
2. When was the last time its fuel tank was emptied/cleaned? Has either your FIL or you ever emptied/cleaned tractor’s fuel tank? I got that you say your home supply fuel tank shouldn’t be pumping any water - ok. But diesel’s return fuel line adds heated fuel back into its cold fuel tank constantly while in operation. That alone over years is an opportunity for condensation to accumulate in tank.
3. Are you certain it oil & not soot diesel/water. A quick smell test can help identify it.

1. He bought it to remove the cab for another tractor. We were told the transmission was bad. After getting it home we found out it was a bad hydraulic pump drive causing no pressure to the power director. After a quick fix we used it to rake hay that summer. That fall it got water in the oil. Then the over haul that winter, ready for spring. Everything was fine for a couple months then the oil in exhaust. Was used to grind every 2-3 weeks until the next spring including a couple trips to another property about a mile away. Oil did not clear up so it was parked for about a year and a half only moving occasionally until I bought it in December.

2. Tank was drained during overhaul but not cleaned.

3. Definitely not water. Seems to be oil to me. Does not have a strong fuel smell and thickens when cold.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 5:46pm
Wet stacking only occurs on the exhaust side. Compressor side stays dry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic