This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Millers knot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millers knot
    Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 3:42pm
Thanks to riding the AC combine for 25 years with a double flip flop bagger thing with scour clean in the back right corner, I find myself often tying whatever’s using the combines Miller knot. As my Gramps taught me. But my wife was not impressed with those knots while tying gift baskets of Christmas cheer! I assured her they wouldn’t come undone and were easy to open but she vetoed them and tied her own bows.🤭😁
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 4:06pm
Nice! My dad taught me that knot. I’m trying to teach my kids but the opportunity doesn’t come around that much.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 7:57am
I, too, was taught to tie a miller's knot by Dad and my grandfather. I still use (left over) plastic baler twine and a miller's knot to tie garbage bags. I always think of Dad when I am tying it.
I suspect it's a dying piece of history.
Oldwrench View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 10:38am
From bagging on an old IH combine, I thought I would never forget the miller's knot, but it has been a long time, and for the life of me, I can't remember how to do one now.  Any handy refresher on how to tie one? They are a handy knot!
Dave76 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 11:21am
Hold the string with your little finger , cinch up the bag wrap the string around the bag twice and your little finger and pull the end of the string up with your little finger and pull both ends. Been a few years hopefully I got it right.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 11:38am
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 3:33pm
Forgot to say the only crop I ever harvested for 25 years would be oats.
                          Dana
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Oldwrench Oldwrench wrote:

From bagging on an old IH combine, I thought I would never forget the miller's knot, but it has been a long time, and for the life of me, I can't remember how to do one now.  Any handy refresher on how to tie one? They are a handy knot!

What I do, and I’m right handed.

Twist the bag and hold it with my left hand like holding a bat. With my right hand put string under my left little finger leaving a tail, over thie ring finger, then under the rest. Make 2 wraps around the bag being sure to go over the tail of the string. Pull your left hand away leaving a loop where your ring finger was. Pull a loop back through that loop from your ring finger. Tighten by pulling the tail and the loop you pulled through, the ring finger loop will disappear. Then you can easily untie it but it stays secure.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 8:48am
My summer '85 job was in a old school feedmill.
I was taught to hold it with your pinkie,loop it over your third finger and hold with your index and middle. I can still do it in my sleep.
Learning AC...slowly
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 3:55pm

Miller's knot and the Truckers knot we used to cinch down hay loads are muscle memory still from when I was a kid back on the farm.

We'd have 75 bales on a pickup with a single rope from front to back holding it all on.

jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 3:57pm

YouTube has a few knot examples to watch.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 4:56pm
Aka Allis combine knot
                          Dana
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 7:16pm
Two wraps and a hooey. Like tying a calf.

Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic