This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No-Till Grain Drill Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No-Till Grain Drill Question
    Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm
This question is addressed to anyone who uses/used a box type grain drill in their no-till farming. I've been using a Krause 5200NT drill the past 13 years to plant my wheat, soybeans and cover crops. I use a pipe and chains on front of tractor for guidance. I'm planting into bean stubble, wheat stubble, corn stover and cover crops to include 4' to 5' standing cereal rye. Depending on conditions it can be hard to very hard to tell where the previous pass was, especially in the evenings towards dusk. I'm looking at installing markers on the drill to give me a better visual mark to go by. I'd like to hear of your experiences with regards to how the markers worked for you under these different conditions. Please be specific. As a note, I do not want and am not interested in GPS or auto steer systems, regardless of how well they worked for you. Thank you.

Edited by JimWenigOH - 17 Dec 2023 at 12:42pm
Sponsored Links

Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 1:03pm
Years ago had a 15ft Tye drill we used for sowing no till wheat in the fall and beans in the spring and no till double crop beans following the wheat I put Yetter markers on it and they worked pretty good, had notched blades and we added old window weights inside the tube on the blade end to keep the markers from bouncing over trash in no till applications.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 1:17pm
gps and auto steer takes all the guess work out. Works great for harvest it’ll follow the planted track perfectly.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 4:12pm
Maybe foam marker, with fluorescent neon dye?
cjarosz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjarosz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 7:06pm
I know you may not want to hear this but I wouldn’t trade my outback lightbar for markers. Years ago I had a 9 row Allis planter that didn’t have markers and I got my outback s-lite for $900 and I think it would be hard to find used markers for that and I use it for planting beans, spraying, spreading fertilizer and have even planted corn with it and pre-planted ammonia with my 5 knife, and has been cheaper than markers, formers on the sprayer and with the cost of fertilizer it’s been a savings there
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 7:14pm

I’d be hard pressed to spread fertilizer without my light bar.

If you’re anti technology a set of Yetter markers are your best option.  

I’ve been trying to get EzSteer to work in my 8050 with less than ideal results. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 10:17am
Even with markers it can be difficult to see your mark in tall crops like rye or wheat. So what I did years ago on my AC no-til planter was attach a short length (18")? of 3/8" log chain with a grab hook (like on most chain binders) on one end of it to the outer end of the marker arm so that it trails right where the marker disc meets the ground. My markers had round arms for the markers, so I simply attached the chain with a small u-bolt. After you go a short distance, the hook on the chain will grab enough of the rye/wheat that it will start dragging a wad of collected material and will leave a mark easily visible. It was easy and cheap and worked pretty darn good. 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 12:07am
JimWenigOH, For the cheap ~ like your tractor’s front pipe/chain ~ try mounting a larger pipe across the entire width of grain drill. Slide 2 smaller pipes inside the larger pipe allowing each to be long enough that when tucked inside they meet in the middle, but when both extended outwards equal 2 markers width. With smaller pipes fully extended, drill 3/8” holes thru both pipes centers (large/small) to allow for a removable lock pin(field marker width). Note: when extended out to desired marker widths, both smaller pipes still need enough of their (base) inside larger pipe to allow for adequately support. Now pull lock pins & slide both smaller pipes inward equally til they meet & drill 3/8” holes thru both smaller pipes outside ends to accept same removable lock pins thru larger pipes original pin holes. Now marker pipes are set for road transport. Attach KyAllis’ outer drag chain/hook idea to each smaller pipe’s outer end. Depending on mounted height of pipes, allow marker drag chain’s length (4-5’?) so that 18” of chain drags across soil line . Figure out somewhere on drill frame to hook marker chains for secured road transport.
While in the field, extend both marker pipes & let chain/hooks drag the ground. With exception of initial outside field pass near any obstacles, it won’t hurt to have both marker pipes extended all the time while in the field. Pros? No expensive hydraulic markers needed & no marker up/down action required. When field is completed, simply un-pin/slide both marker pipes inward & re-pin for safe transport.

Edited by AC7060IL - 20 Dec 2023 at 12:27am
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 11:15am
Used yetter aftermarket markers on a JD notill drill for years
They do a good job of marking but unless they have improved the design they are bad to shear bolts and the vibration make them prone to cracks and are pricey $4500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic