This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No. 7 mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No. 7 mower
    Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 12:56pm
How hard is it to get bearings etc for a no 7 mower.  Found one for sale cheap but the bearings where it sickle bar mounts to the wobble box is out.
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 3:06pm
The #7 was A-C's first of many "Twin-Wheel" mowers.

The larger (flywheel end) connecting rod bearing is a commom "304" bearing available at your local auto parts store.

The smaller (cutbar end) bearing is a bit uncommom because of it's thick inner race.
These bearings were available from A-C back in 2008 when I rebuilt my #7,  but were very, very expensive! 
A member of this site back then discovered they were available from a company called "Aircraft Spruce" who specializes in small aircraft parts.
I purchased a couple of them back in 2008 at $33.30 each. A bit expensive but far cheaper than the ones from A-C. The outer race diameter on these is 43mm (1.69"). They were used on #7 mowers with serial #10601 and up and all 80 and 82 series mowers.
Earlier #7 mowers used a smaller but same style bearing. I don't know the outer race diameter on that one but the Aircraft Spruce number was KP-6.
I know Aircraft Spruce is still in business but I don't know if the bearings are still available but I would guess they are.
Good luck, I used the parts from my #7 to repair an 82S I had acquired so I don't know how well a #7 works but I will say that the 82S was an excellent machine after I got it set up properly.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 4:18pm
We have a lot of #7 mower parts.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 6:30pm
Since no one is going to be mowing for a while, i might think about passing on a number 7 and get the next generation, an 80 series. Many people on this site have found them 80s to be a superior machine.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 6:51pm
uploads/11350/mower_bearing_1.jpg

To make sure I have the right number this is a picture of the bearing that is out.  I can get it really cheap, but just want to make sure I can get parts.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 6:52pm
Look at the picture i posted on reply and tell me if you have this bearing etc.  Thanks
rick ky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 7:19pm
there is or was a bearing supplier, Bearings & Related Components, 1-775-246-3026. I picked up some bearings from them a few years back. at that time the bearings were $8.00 each and they only had 6000. they informed me that the bearing was used in air craft hanger doors. good luck let me know if the small bearings are still available thru that retailer. rick 
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 7:50pm
That style connecting rod and bearing is not #7. That’s off later style mowers. That stuff is still available through agco
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 9:12pm
uploads/11350/mower_converted.jpg

Can you tell me what model this is, he said he converted it to 3ph, i thought it looked like a no 7 I used to have one years ago.  Only wants 75.00 for it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

That style connecting rod and bearing is not #7. That’s off later style mowers. That stuff is still available through agco

What's the Agco price nowadays?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 10:20pm
I’d buy for 75.
That’s a late model 80r that someone cut the snap coupler off and welded brackets on
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 10:55pm

Boy, I would like to see the Agco prices on any of that stuff today it they still have any in stock but I'm not going to take the time to look them up. Some of you young guys can do that!

The connecting rods are definitely the newer style. However that style uses the  same bearings (304 and KP-8) used on the earlier style.

I think Mike z. nailed it; this appears to be (maybe) an 80R mower that was adapted to 3PH by cutting the frame and welding on 3PH components (the black parts).

This may be a later 80R mower given it has the ball bearings at the pivot points on the ends of the gear case. If that is the case, the cut bar may be 3/4" thick instead of the 5/8" thick bar used on the #7 and some early 80 series mowers. I consider these two of the biggest improvements made on these mowers.

Now Mike, with the myiad of A-C parts you have, might you just have a few of these bearings laying around? LOL

Edited by Brian G. NY - 19 Dec 2023 at 11:00pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

I might think about passing on a number 7 and get the next generation, an 80 series. Many people on this site have found them 80s to be a superior machine.

Well, them 80 series and especially the 82 series sure do have a lot of improvements over ol' #7!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by rick ky rick ky wrote:

there is or was a bearing supplier, Bearings & Related Components, 1-775-246-3026. I picked up some bearings from them a few years back. at that time the bearings were $8.00 each and they only had 6000. they informed me that the bearing was used in air craft hanger doors. good luck let me know if the small bearings are still available thru that retailer. rick 

Hey Rick, just how many "years back" did you pick up those bearings for the outer end of the connecting rod? 
$8.00 apiece is the buy of a lifetime!! LOL

Edited by Brian G. NY - 19 Dec 2023 at 11:05pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Trinity45 Trinity45 wrote:

uploads/11350/mower_bearing_1.jpg

To make sure I have the right number this is a picture of the bearing that is out.  I can get it really cheap, but just want to make sure I can get parts.

That cap that covers the bearing may be a little hard to come by but may still be available at Agco. Maybe check with Mikez?
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:06am

I’d buy for 75.
That’s a late model 80r that someone cut the snap coupler off and welded brackets on

Mainly all I was looking for was something to cut ditch banks with.  If I can get the parts and since it is only about a two hour drive from my house.  I would consider buying it.  Wish it still had the snap couple on it.
rick ky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 7:05pm
not sure when I ordered them. have gotten other bearings since then and saved alot of money. ordered cutterbar bearings for a 411 NH disc bine when no one could get them. that mower was made by kuhn and when it was worn out it was worn out. if need be i will call and find out tomorrow afternoon if they still have them and order them. 
rick ky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 7:13pm
brian, at that time I had to hold back, brenda in sandy lake sent me one to get the number off the bearing it self. they were not cheap at that time from agco.  when the salesman in nevada gave me the price it was like buying a new grill for a 170 mint for $200.00. thats all folks 
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 11:45pm
I’ve got 2 no 7 mowers…
Both are snap coupler but I made one good out of the two.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic