This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 goes for $ 17,500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 goes for $ 17,500
    Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 9:09am
https://youtu.be/3LBxLZkap4w?si=1s4f6yOh8UakK1bR

Watch the herd of kids around the second Ollie!!!
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Sponsored Links

Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 1:37pm
I know some will compare this to the price of a new 75 HP tractor and somehow justify the price. But, this is a company that's been "out of business" for 35 years now. I think it's way too high, but what do I know. If I were smart, I never would've farmed my whole life and have very little to show for it.
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 1:48pm
Is that Richard (oldfarmjunk101) videoing in the background?  A possible celebrity sighting in action.
1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 4:26pm
at least there's no dang 'computer' in it !!!!

as a compare...
I want to buy a 97-03 Ford F150, southern...will pay 50% of what a 2023 'equal' will cost.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 6:04pm
Muffler replaced before actual 1500 hrs ???? Looks like a repaint to me and maybe a seat replaced ??
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

as a compare...
I want to buy a 97-03 Ford F150, southern...will pay 50% of what a 2023 'equal' will cost.

I like computers, for one thing they make it much harder, (not impossible) to abuse equipment.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 11:15am
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

as a compare...

I like computers, for one thing they make it much harder, (not impossible) to abuse equipment.

Or...   leave you stranded for days and you cant work on them.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

I know some will compare this to the price of a new 75 HP tractor and somehow justify the price. But, this is a company that's been "out of business" for 35 years now. I think it's way too high, but what do I know. If I were smart, I never would've farmed my whole life and have very little to show for it.

Wither you like it or not you have put a inflation factor in the equation.  

A friend bought a new, New Holland crawler tractor for use in a vineyard. At about the same time on the antique Cat forum, someone had a price of a brand new D2 crawler back years ago. Using google for the inflation factor, I was surprised the cost was very close to the same. So in general, you are very correct that old ones are overpriced. In my example the NH tractor has 3pt hitch 3 hydraulic valves, and twice the horsepower and a PTO. Even though with the same weight and square inches of track on the ground it will not handle bigger tillage tools. But the  "fix it again Tony" (Fiat built) will not last for as many hours of use as the old Cat. So if you don't have use for the added accouterments of the new machine, you can say the old one is not such a bad buy.

But who knows how many Wink at a auction have given any of that real though before raising their hand.LOL
skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 1:28pm
If it is truly as good as it appears in the video why wouldn’t it be worth 17,500?? Why shouldn’t it be worth as much a a comparable IH. What would a 766 bring that looks like that with 1500 original hours?
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 1:54pm
What does anew tractor of that size and horse power cost ? If the comutper crashes you couldn't fix it but you can repair this old AC
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 7:50am
Nice looking tractor from the video and it hard to find nice older tractors that not been trashed for sell to buy today. As for the selling price two bidders took it to that $17,500. I wonder if there more to the story about that AC 185 tractor, some personal connection ?
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 8:47am
The thing with these prices is weather you are buying or selling. 20 years ago we saw 185, 190, and 200s sell for $5000. Now we are seeing those tractors go for $10,000 to$15,000+ if we are selling now we are smiling ear to ear but if we want to buy one for the first time or add to the fleet, It's not such a good deal. But lok at what repairs cost now, if you have to rebuild a motor or put tires on, or do a quality paint job it adds up.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 9:17am
Well, to me, for one thing, these new Tractors aren't built heavy duty as the old Tractors are. Also, when you have an on board computer running the show, unless you purchase the equipment to troubleshoot it (which is mega bucks) if that Tractor breaks down, your SOL till a tech comes over (service charge) to find out the problem. To me, that Tractor is outta' service, and the way these new ones are dropping like fly's in the field (or catching fire for whatever reason) yer' outta' Tractor and standing there twittlin' yer' thumbs!  At least the old ones, whether you put a ton of money into them, you can still fix the dang thing and get it back in service.  That's a PLUS in my opinion for whatever that's worth. Call me old fashioned, but anything new to me is junk! That applies to the Garden Tractors as well. Who makes a 900 lb. GT anymore? And that's without any attachments!  LOL!   
Steve@B&B 
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 10:02am
Bunch of factors involved at this auction - broad tractor brand selections, solid advertising, great auctioneer energy, wonderful bid runners assisting auctioneer ~ all components of a well attended auction either in person on sale day or online. 
Try watching the video again, but pay attention to the boy bidding on the Oliver 2255 with Cat 3208. That boy was driven.  Experience notices his seriousness, real quick. He was not stopping for any reason(s) other bidders might have understood... So who was foolishly trying to outbid him? Other young person(s)?? Adults that always wanted this particular model? His brother standing next to him was turning his head from auctioneer to him on every number.  Yeah, the brother was all about it too.  Watch the 15 year old's hand reach for his bid number card near the end of bidding. There's a big smile on his face. Maybe cause a prior Oliver 2255 no cab sold for $30K. About every head is turned from most of the attending audience.  I imagine that audience was wondering just like us on this forum ~ why is that bringing so much money??? Be interesting to know what was going on inside that 15 year olds mind that he'd spend $25K that quickly?  Was he bidding with his money? Or someone else's dollars? We'll probably never know.

Anyway, Thanks Never Green for sharing the video link. I enjoyed viewing it & think that Oliver 2255's bidding details help explain some of the $17.5K AC 185.

Edited by AC7060IL - 13 Dec 2023 at 1:41pm
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 12:14pm
  I dont know why but I got the biggest kick out of that kid, had my wife and kids sit down and view it with me.

Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Muffler replaced before actual 1500 hrs ???? Looks like a repaint to me and maybe a seat replaced ??

I believe the 1500 hrs.

Someone took a low hour original and tried to do a quick and easy restoration. Seen it before on a few D series.

Take a $15,000 original condition tractor, give it new tires, a new seat, a new muffler, and a new paint job. After all that magic it is now worth $17,500.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic