This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14 Gas Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14 Gas Tank
    Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 10:11am
Good Morning
The D14 I am working on has been sitting for a few years. What about the gas tank?

A good rinse with gasoline? I see that there are refurbishing kits. Not sure the best path to take.

Thanks .... remember I am a novice at all this. Speak elementary LOL.
Sponsored Links

RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 12:18pm
You might ask your local Radiator shop… they used to clean and flush out gas tanks (with acid, i assume) and apply a red epoxy type sealer inside that worked really well. Haven’t seen any like that for a while, but I’ve had good luck with it before. Also ask if it Will damage the the paint (if you don’t plan on painting the tank)…
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 12:40pm
You can get a variety of "fixes"... depends on what the tank looks like inside, massive rust, just some crud, holes in the bottom ??

Look inside. If it has some rust, but appears SOLID... what i have done is put a pound of bolts and nuts inside with a gallon of diesel and slosh it around to get the loose stuff loose and drain.. Do it a couple times and what success you have... At that point, some will do a "SEALER"... all i did was put an inline filter on the outlet and change it out a couple times............. That worked on a Backhoe that had set for 12 years..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 1:33pm
I wouldn't do a da** thing until you get a small flashlite, close one eye and LOOK in the fill hole !!  You assume there's something wrong with it and it may just need a good soapy power washing and rinse with clean water. It might need a light sandblasting thru th drain hole and fill neck. LOOK FIRST.
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 1:41pm
I jack up one side of small tractor, strap the questionable tank to the raised wheel, throw in a hand full of crushed stone, start the jacked up tractor, put it in 1st gear and let it rotate for about 1/2 hour. Then put in reverse for another 1/2 hour. Unstrap tank, remove whats left of stone, rinse out dust and debris with clear water, blow dry with compressed air then coat inside of cleaned tank with muriatic acid. When all the above is completed and tank is dry, I coat with "Red Coat" tank sealer. I have used this process on several tractor and lawn mower tanks and not had any problems. Good Luck
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 1:51pm
remove tank from tractor
remove filler cap
remove gas gauge
NOW you can put LED light into filler hole and look through the gas gauge hole
while it's apart, replace cork with 'synthetic cork', say from a car/truck gas tank.
i've heard miserable tales of woe from using 'liquid liner' stuff...,so I went 'commando'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 2:48pm
Once you inspect it inside you can decide the best course of action. In general, a good rule to follow is: If it's solid, but just full of gunk/rust, do a good clean but DON'T put a liner it it. If it's leaking from pinholes or around a seam, you have nothing to lose so put a liner it it, but make sure you do your prep work right. Loads of problems have been caused by folks putting in liners that have started to degrade after a few years - usually because they didn't strip it/clean it thoroughly enough. When they start to degrade, they plug up every part of the fuel system and you have to strip the liner out, which is a complete nightmare.

See this thread from a few weeks ago and see my reply in it where I said my preferred cleaning method.

AllisD14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 4:48pm
Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic