This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Style B Rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Style B Rims
    Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 5:57pm
I have a 1940 model B. Has rear centers that have only the single center nut bolting them to tractor. Currently it t has the cam locks for rims with a bump out. Very ill fitting. Did the original rims for this year have the loops? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 6:12pm
No... Allis used the BUMPS... Other manufacturers used the LOOPS.. YOu can buy 4 LOOP rims and they will fit if you want different.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 9:18am
Make sure you have the proper clamp and bolt in the proper position.  There should be 2 eccentric clamp and bolt sets and 2 plain clamp and bolt sets per wheel.  The eccentric sets should be next to each other and the plain sets should be next to each other.  The eccentric sets pull the wheel tight against the plain sets.  It is common for a guy to think the eccentric sets need to be opposite (across the wheel) from one another.  It is also common when both wheels are removed for the clamps and bolts to all get thrown together and guys will think they are all the same and not have the right combination of eccentric and plain sets per wheel (ie 3 eccentic on one wheel, 3 plain on the other wheel)  Either of these scenarios will result in wheels that will not tighten up.  This is not how they go.  Doesn't matter which hole you use for which clamp in the center as long as the eccentrics are in holes next to each other.  Hope this helps.
Kddrck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 11:47am
I’m am 100% sure that I have the right bolts, eccentric bolts and clamps in the right place. My question is we’re the the older style centers use the clamps, or did they have the loops? I have a 49 C and everything works great on that style center.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 12:24pm
Most of the B hubs had the 2 inch taper spline mount.. There was a option for a 5 bolt mount like a truck.. All of the "C" tractors used the 5 bolt hub mount like a truck...

The hub has nothing to do with the rims.. ALL of the Allis rims were clamp on with ecentrics as Pfouts said above.... IH and others used a rim with 4 LOOPS.. They happen to be about the same size and you can get 24 inch 4 loop rims to fit your B or the C. You can buy 8 - 9 - 10 inch wide rims depending on the tires you use.

Larger allis tractors did use LOOP rims, but they were 6 bolt and larger diameters.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 12:29pm
Here is an ALLIS C with the 5 bolt hub and it uses the SAME CLAMPS that are on your B.. If you have a "C" with LOOP RIMS, they have been changed out sometime in the past.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 12:34pm
Here is a photo of one of my "B" tractors that as Aftermarket Loop rims... Tyey NEVER had these from the factory.

Note the HUB with center 2 inch taper spline fit... That was VERY COMMON on the B tractor for 20 years.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Nov 2023 at 12:37pm
Kddrck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 1:30pm
Ok. When I go to DJS to order the wheel clamp they say the wheel clamps are for anything after SN 58401. What was used before that SN?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 4:08pm
I have never had a problem mixing and matching between several tractors... but i cant say  what my early serial number is... I do have a 1940 ........... Take one of your clamps and compare to the ones on your C .... Same groove and same 5/8 inch bolt hole ? .. Is the "BUMP" the same on the B and C ?

I have seen  2 or 3 different clamps with small variations in them ( slightly longer or heavier built) .. I just assumed it was change in manufacturing....... I have not had a problem mixing them up between tractors... Some i have had excess wear on the GROOVE and i had to weld the face to build them back up so they CLAMP tighter... You will know that if the ecentrics rotate all the way around and never get real TIGHT.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Nov 2023 at 4:16pm
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 4:26pm
Earlier B's had a larger W shaped eccentric.  As said above the looped rims were never used, but are common replacements.

Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 5:01pm
After learning about the loop-type rims on this forum I purchased a set for my Model C and couldn't be happier Smile
Kddrck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 5:45pm
Thanks to all who responded. For whatever reason I’m having difficulty with the rims I have and the clamps. I will probably replace with the loops.

I’m willing to try the older style clamp that was talked about above. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy?
Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 5:58pm
I have put four excentrics on one wheel to get them to tighten up
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Tom IA Tom IA wrote:

I have put four excentrics on one wheel to get them to tighten up

I had one that I used 3 eccentrics on and I put some thin (shim) material between the eccentrics and the rim. It worked for what I was doing with it, but I don't know if it would have lasted on continuous hard pulls. 

It seems that once they slip it wears the rim and they are very hard to get to hold without turning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic