This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another CA question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another CA question?
    Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 8:22am
How many other folks can say they’re going to go mow around their hayfields today while attempting to break in their newly rebuilt 72 year old lawn mower?

Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 8:30am
Sweet! Smile
I know nothing about those Woods mowers, is that a finish mower or is it more of a rough duty machine?

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 8:44am
Sweet rig. I didn't need to see that!
Learning AC...slowly
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 9:53am
Not recently, although I did rebuild the engine in my CA/WOODS 306 about 4 years ago. People can have there rough riding zero turns if they want. I enjoy mowing about 6 acres of grass weekly. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 9:59am
I've got 2 CA mower combo's like yours. One narrow front, one wide. One for the home place and one for the farm. You got a sharp looking unit. Almost hate to see it get dirty.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 10:17am

Better take your 'rain gear' Captain in case the storm arrives early.

Perhaps mitts too when it turns to snow.

Gary

BTW that sure is a nice Mowing Rig you've now got.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 10:22am
Nice unit Cap!!  Keep adding to the fleet!  Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 7:49pm
Sweet looking mower, hope it worked as good as it looks and mother nature cooperated with you.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:19am
I have a 125 on an engine stand waiting for me to get to it. My CA/L306 runs and works like a champ but the rear main leaks pretty bad.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 9:21am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I have a 125 on an engine stand waiting for me to get to it. My CA/L306 runs and works like a champ but the rear main leaks pretty bad.

We just rebuilt a 52 CA and replaced the rear seal plate with one from a D10/D12 which has a rubber/neoprene seal.  Bolted right on.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

We just rebuilt a 52 CA and replaced the rear seal plate with one from a D10/D12 which has a rubber/neoprene seal.  Bolted right on.

That's good information, one more part to keep an eye out for!
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 5:28pm
Hi hey dfw can you remember the seal and plate # or where you bought that from? I’m doing all new clutches in my CA#1 a. 1954 also with a L306 and it has an oil leak on rear of engine also. Thanks. Dana
                          Dana
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Hi hey dfw can you remember the seal and plate # or where you bought that from? I’m doing all new clutches in my CA#1 a. 1954 also with a L306 and it has an oil leak on rear of engine also. Thanks. Dana

This is the one I bought (out of stock now):

https://www.wengers.com/rear-seal-retainer-227571ag.html

And this rear oil seal:

Per Steiner:  

To Upgrade From Felt To Neoprene Style Seal, Must Use With D10, D12, D14 or D15 Rear Seal Retainer# 227571, NOT AVAIL. FROM STP

Edited by dfwallis - 29 Nov 2023 at 6:02pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 6:21pm
I think the B,C,CA felt seal was 1/4 inch wide and the D10-12 rubber seal was 3/8 inch wide.. They are the same ID and OD ... The "B" retainer has a lip on the inside and outside that forms a GROOVE for the felt seal to set into... I think you could machine / grind off that lip and put the D10 rubber seal into the B,C,CA retainer ??..... I think ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I think the B,C,CA felt seal was 1/4 inch wide and the D10-12 rubber seal was 3/8 inch wide.. They are the same ID and OD ... The "B" retainer has a lip on the inside and outside that forms a GROOVE for the felt seal to set into... I think you could machine / grind off that lip and put the D10 rubber seal into the B,C,CA retainer ??..... I think ?

I thought about that, but didn't want to mod the original parts.  I've got a big box that I keep all the unused and unusable original parts for someday if I (or the purchaser) wants to go full original.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 6:40pm
Looks nice Dana! A great combo with the L306 on it. Ours mows a lot of yard at the farm. With good sharp blades it’s a good finish mower. We use a AC rider to do the trim work. Nice job
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 8:38pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 8:52pm
AC720 I now have two CA’s with 306’s. I too finish with an AC rider and wife runs 2 cub cadet v twins. I’ll sharpen blades 3 times a summer. Love em sharp! I had an injection in my meniscus surgery knee today and told to stay outta the shop for a couple days. I can’t wait to go remove the flywheel and remove that seal plate and then see what I have. Thank you all for inputs they’re like GOLD! Dana

Almost forgot the newest addition to the lawn mowing fleet from this past fall. Its name is “the one that almost got away” because I thought it had factory paint still but when I got there I saw it had been done eons ago and had all those mole type growths all over it like fungus stuff. Literally I was leaving without…didn’t want another project…and then I reluctantly loaded her up as he about gave her to me. When her front tires hit the trailer ramps the hitch flew up off from the ball and dented the heck out of my Silverado’s tailgate. I had driven the 150 miles with the 2 7/8 trailer socket sitting on the 2” ball! Jeesh!, only “Chevy chase Dana” could do this!

Edited by captaindana - 30 Nov 2023 at 4:33am
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 8:55pm
And Steveill thank you, can't wait to see!
                          Dana
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:00pm
all that being said... I have never had a problem with the FELT seal in a B... If it is NEW and INSTALLED right.. The ones that leak are normally 50 years old and damaged.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

all that being said... I have never had a problem with the FELT seal in a B... If it is NEW and INSTALLED right.. The ones that leak are normally 50 years old and damaged.

Mine was 70 years old and barely leaking.  But there was nothing on the clutch.  Brother wanted to make it better so I got the D10 retainer.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 4:04am
Same here guys this CA 70 years old in another month is slinging oil but it does not get on the business side of the clutch. My new felts on her way.😁
                          Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic