This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cotton Harvest This Year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cotton Harvest This Year
    Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 8:49am
Hey everyone, just thought I’d share a couple photos of the equipment from cotton stripping this year. I didn’t get a lot of action photos, so this will have to suffice. Had a few cotton strippers (not pickers) running this year, a 1969 760XTB, 1975 860, 1980 880, and the blue & yellow one is a 1978 Ben Pearson 1076. Not Allis but they did share some components with an Allis. Also had the 7080 on the boll buggy (think cotton grain cart). Crop wasn’t very good this year, but anytime you get 4 machines running with your friends, it’s a good time.

Edited by CrestonM - 17 Nov 2023 at 9:03am
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 9:28am
That's pretty neat for us guys from the north that don't see that unless we head south.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 11:49am
We saw some cotton fields in Eastern Georgia that had been picked a week ago.  Most of it looked like it had been harvested using big round bales.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 11:53am
That is a fine looking line up !
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 12:01pm
Neat, we don't have anyhting like that in Indiana.
Looking at the ground, it's a lot easier to see your harvest loss that corn or soybeans. LOL
bright white cotton balls on brown dirt
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 12:09pm
Cool pictures, thanks,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 12:35pm
lookin good!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:53pm
Thanks guys. With the interest they’ve received through the years, I’ve been throwing around the idea of having a small show in 2024, where all would be invited to come see these machines in action. Would be a food truck and portable bathroom on site, but other than that it would be just a typical rural field setting. Don’t write it in permanent marker on your calendars yet, but if we did it, it would probably be the 2nd weekend in November. Hopefully I’ll have a couple more machines running by then.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 5:39pm
What’s the difference between a cotton picker, and a cotton stripper?
Compared to the fields around here, yours are amazingly clean! I swear some of the operators down this way, if it weren’t for the bales/stacks in the fields, you’d never assume a harvester been across the field.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 17 Nov 2023 at 5:40pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 5:43pm
That is a nice lineup Creston. Your 7080 looks real good. I like the weights you have on it. Looks like a beast, lol.    Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I was thinking the same thing!

Creston,
Could you educate us some? What is a good yield? Where do you sell it? Do you have to store it on the farm? When do you plant? Any pictures of unpicked fields?

Edited by WF owner - 17 Nov 2023 at 7:51pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:13pm

Compared to the fields around here, yours are amazingly clean! I swear some of the operators down this way, if it weren’t for the bales/stacks in the fields, you’d never assume a harvester been across the field.

A cotton picker is supposed to only pick the white lint off of the plants. Used to be (and maybe still is in the Deep South) fields were picked twice, both while the plants were still green and growing. Cotton is  indeterminate, so it will continue to produce new bolls while older bolls have already opened. Nowadays a lot of people chemically defoliate, then just pick once. Pickers have been in use since the 1940s for the most part, although a few machines existed in the 1930s they were mostly of the prototype nature. 
A cotton stripper strips everything off the plant. Leaves, burrs, lint. They can only be used after a killing freeze or after the field is chemically defoliated before a freeze. Limited production cotton strippers of different forms have been around since the horse drawn days, the earliest production machine I know of was a horse drawn single row unit by John Deere in the 1930s. Production rapidly increased among many brands in the 1950s with two-row tractor mounted units. In those days, strippers didn't have any type of cleaner on them, so everything off the stalk went to the cotton gin. Imagine a combine with no chaffer or sieve, everything goes to the bin. Gins charge more to clean dirty cotton, so in the early 1960s Allis and Hesston began offering machines with on-board cleaners, which reduced trips to the gin and saved on cleaning costs. Hesston is rumored to have beat Allis to it by a year, but Allis made up for it by producing larger quantities of these burr extractor-equipped machines, and building a more user-friendly machine. This was circa 1966. By contrast, Deere didn't offer a stripper with a burr extractor until around 1984, yet they continued to sell a lot of them, although the Deeres were only two-row until 1977, while Allis was offering 4-row headers in 1970. (Still, Deere advertises they were the first with a 4-row head, imagine that). IH never offered a stripper with burr extractor to the best of my knowledge. 

A cotton stripper is much cheaper to buy and operate than a picker. They have fewer parts, and cotton pickers require daily (sometimes twice daily) power washing of each row unit to clean out build up of lint and spindle grease. It slips my mind how much water and spindle grease a picker uses daily, but the cost of the daily maintenance was enough to cause more than one owner around here to either go broke or trade for a cotton stripper. After hearing that you may ask why anyone would run a cotton picker. The only answer I have found is if the cotton is yielding greater than 1,000 lbs/acre, they tend to outperform a stripper since they are not processing everything off the plant. In yields below 1,000 lbs, a stripper excels. When the crop is thin, pickers tend to leave a lot more lint on the plants, due to the picking chamber not being crowded full. In our area of Oklahoma, if you can make 500 lbs/acre on dryland cotton, you're not doing too bad. Hence why you would be hard pressed to find a picker around here. In the areas of the state with irrigation, they're more common because they can achieve those higher yields easier than we can. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Tim NH Tim NH wrote:

That is a nice lineup Creston. Your 7080 looks real good. I like the weights you have on it. Looks like a beast, lol.    Tim
Thank you! I've waxed it and painted the exhaust pipe, but otherwise the finish is original. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

I was thinking the same thing!

Creston,
Could you educate us some? What is a good yield? Where do you sell it? Do you have to store it on the farm? When do you plant? Any pictures of unpicked fields?
My other post just now answers some of this, but after ginning it's taken to regional warehouses. It's packaged in 500 lb bales and each bale receives an ID number with the grade. Different grades bring different prices. It's typically planted mid-May through mid-June around here, although in the Deep South they plant much earlier. I don't have any photos of an un-harvested field handy at the moment, but a quick google search will yield a bunch. 
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 12:30am
Nice pictures and thanks for describing what goes on to harvest cotton. 

Your boll buggy looks very similar to what was used at times to dump hay or corn silage into trucks. Uncle & grandad had neighbors that sold fresh chop alfalfa to local DeHy plant, that was a 20 mile trip each way. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:10pm
I have never grown cotton, but have been around some that have. California never had strippers as 2 bales to the acre was the goal since the beginning. Once growth regulators showed up picking twice has been history.I believe 3 to 4 bales is average yield for Cal/Arizona cotton today. But it is all irrigated.

Creston are you using a module maker, or wagons? From what I see advertised module makers are selling for scrape price more or less out here. The wagons have been parked on the edge of a field and banners tied to the sides as billboards for 30 years already.Wink The state that has not allowed a new billboard in 40 years.LOL
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 1:30pm
That’s for wonderful explanation Creston, greatly appreciated.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 8:38pm

Seeing another side of the business here.

I've watched Griggs Farms YouTube channel. He just bought a new used JD picker/baler after having a rectangular module builder. He said new cotton machines are over a million dollars now.

I'm way too far North to use any of the cotton education. But I watch because he's doing a lot of Regenerative Agriculture for corn, beans, and cotton. Biggest cotton harvest he's had, I think he said three big round bales per acre.

Edited by jvin248 - 20 Nov 2023 at 8:43pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 4:15am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 10:30pm
Cool thanks for sharing 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 12:38pm
Thanks for the Pics Creston and especially the education!!
I might be able to make it to the show next year if you have one.  I'd think you'd draw a bunch of people who have never seen it happen.
Your 7080 is pretty & impressive!
Thanks again 'LiL Buddy'!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

I have never grown cotton, but have been around some that have. California never had strippers as 2 bales to the acre was the goal since the beginning. Once growth regulators showed up picking twice has been history.I believe 3 to 4 bales is average yield for Cal/Arizona cotton today. But it is all irrigated.

Creston are you using a module maker, or wagons? From what I see advertised module makers are selling for scrape price more or less out here. The wagons have been parked on the edge of a field and banners tied to the sides as billboards for 30 years already.Wink The state that has not allowed a new billboard in 40 years.LOL

I use a module builder. No gins out here have the equipment to vacuum the trailers out anymore. And you’re right, they basically sell for scrap price.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Thanks for the Pics Creston and especially the education!!
I might be able to make it to the show next year if you have one.  I'd think you'd draw a bunch of people who have never seen it happen.
Your 7080 is pretty & impressive!
Thanks again 'LiL Buddy'!

Thanks! Glad you liked it, Ted!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:52pm
Creston, Awesome photos & descriptions. I used Norm's book to look at specs of your 3 AC cotton machines. See if I got it correct?
1969 760XTB, AC 226G, 520cu.ft basket, Gleaner K frame/drivetrain, custom cab.
1975 860, AC 2800 diesel 301 84hp, Variable speed, Gleaner L/M cab curved windshield, Gleaner F frame/drivetrain?
1980 880, AC 433I diesel 200 95hp, hydro drive, electro-hydraulic tilt, Gleaner F2 frame/drivetrain?

Your maroon 7080 looks great. It seems not too long ago, you had just bought it and were making it ready for approaching season?  What is your typical post cotton harvest season involve - stem shreader? (flail, bush hog?), disk, plow, etc? Or, can you no-till into last season's cotton stems?  Thank for sharing.

Yes, I'd be interested in your tentative 2024 AC cotton harvest field day(s). I've never been around cotton. Who knows, may bring a car-load of siblings with me?

Edited by AC7060IL - 29 Nov 2023 at 6:30am
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 11:12pm
What about the federally funded study Case /IH and Deere did using parts of an A-C stripper & other machines thet determined they could build a machine that would save a million dollars a season on harvesting ?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:46am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Creston, Awesome photos & descriptions. I used Norm's book to look at specs of your 3 AC cotton machines. See if I got it correct?
1969 760XTB, AC 226G, 520cu.ft basket, Gleaner K frame/drivetrain, custom cab.
1975 860, AC 2800 diesel 301 84hp, Variable speed, Gleaner L/M cab curved windshield, Gleaner F frame/drivetrain?
1980 880, AC 433I diesel 200 95hp, hydro drive, electro-hydraulic tilt, Gleaner F2 frame/drivetrain?

Your maroon 7080 looks great. It seems not too long ago, you had just bought it and were making it ready for approaching season?  What is your typical post cotton harvest season involve - stem shreader? (flail, bush hog?), disk, plow, etc? Or, can you no-till into last season's cotton stems?  Thank for sharing.

Yes, I'd be interested in your tentative 2024 AC cotton harvest field day(s). I've never been around cotton. Who knows, may bring a car-load of siblings with me?

You’re close, the 760 and 860 are built using the K drivetrain, it went to F2 on the 880.
The stripper development closely followed combines. For instance the 707 and 707XTB had the 4 cylinder G226 like the Gleaner E. When the K came out and the switch to the GM 250 was made, that reflected in the cotton strippers. So the 760XTB had the GM 250. I want to say the basket is 320 cubic feet on the 707 and 760. I’d have to check the book to make sure, but the 860 and 880 are 520 cubic feet. Midway through 707 production and through all of 760 production an Ansel cab was available, although after running mine I’d probably rather have open station unless it was very cold and windy. The Ansel cabs are very crude. The Gleaner cabs are so much better on the 860 and 880.
The 860 initially had the GM 250 gas engine, then in about 1975 the diesel Allis 2800 became available and became standard later.
Everything you said about the 880 is correct.

After harvest, since I’m no till on this field, I go in and seed a winter cover crop blend then sometime between then and March use a bat wing rotary mower to cut the stalks down. Although some people leave them standing.

Thanks for the interest in the show. I’ve got a 707 I’d really like to have running for the event, but I’ve currently got the engine out of it for overhaul. Between that and getting everything coordinated, we’ll see if I can pull it off.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Ron Eggen Ron Eggen wrote:

What about the federally funded study Case /IH and Deere did using parts of an A-C stripper & other machines thet determined they could build a machine that would save a million dollars a season on harvesting ?

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/super-stripper-no-pole-ac_topic135705.html

TBran would be the one to talk to about that. He’s probably got some more good stories.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic