This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Land Auction $$

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land Auction $$
    Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 7:57pm
A recent 122 acre parcel (it was advertised as 5 "lots") sold as 1 for $12,232 per acre Shocked. It's 180 BPA corn/65 BPA bean ground at best (very high water table and not tiled). How long to recoup this chunk of change ??
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 9:44am
So, almost $1.5M.

Not sure what  profit after inputs per acre on corn is going to look like this year.  Some years it's $50, some years over $100.  This year?????  Pick a number.......

Let's say $75.  $75 / $12,232 per acre  =.6% return on the money, $100 is .8%.  Most brick and mortar local banks are paying about .01-.015% now?  Some of the sexy online banks are paying .4-.7%, so right in line with that.  Pick your own profit per acre if you don't like mine, it's not going to change that much.

Farm it for 20 years, and now it's worth $2.7M.  

Point is, those who pay that kind of money per acre and FARM it, not develop it into a subdivision or something, don't borrow the money to buy it, that'd be a whole lot harder to justify.  But if you have the cash to pay for it, whole different analysis.  
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 10:22am
My uncle is a retired farmer by Madison, WI. A number of years ago the price of land there came up. At that time it was selling for more than that. I thought it was maybe a farmer that had alot of money stashed and was using it. Not the case according to my uncle. He stated that dairy farms were now so large they had no place for the manure anymore. I just recently talked to the young Mennonite farmer next to my cabin. They come from Penn. He said they could sell land out there at a high price and come here and buy cheaper. But he didn't know you would pay for that land as a farmer. I'm not a farmer and am just stating what I was told so don't shoot me. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 10:33am
Mennonites are doing much the same around here coming from Indiana.  Selling very high down there and buying for about 20% up here.  It's driving  prices way up, and I was fortunate to buy some at "old" prices not long ago.  

My point was, you won't create the money to buy it by farming, it's bought by someone with money, either from generations of farming, selling a more expensive farm elsewhere, an investor of sorts, whatever.  If you have money, buy it, charge $200 per acre rent, whatever, and your rate of return is double my first illustration.  

No shots fired!

These prices are a bubble fueled by extremely low interest rates in my opinion, and are unsustainable.  The bubble will pop someday, to some extent, I think.  
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 10:54am
A while ago it hit me. Land doesn't get worth more,money gets worth less.
The 20% over is simple. You sell your farm you have 180 days to turn the money into another farm,file a 1031 with the IRS and save 20% Capital gains tax on your sale.
I'm from Pennsylvania and I've done the research.
Learning AC...slowly
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

The 20% over is simple. You sell your farm you have 180 days to turn the money into another farm,file a 1031 with the IRS and save 20% Capital gains tax on your sale.

What does "The 20% over is simple." mean?

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 11:35am
So far, three motivations mentioned in this thread for deciding purchase price.

1. Avoidance of capital gains
2. Annual Rate of return (think dividend on stocks)
3. Long term gain (think increase in stock value)

In reality, 2 and 3 have to be combined to get the true investment picture.

A 4th........a farmer already owns 3,000 acres and property next to him comes up for sale. It fits into his operation, and income from all his other land is going to help pay for it. So at auction, his hand goes up, his head goes down......unless there is something really goofy going on, he is going to buy it and does not really care that it is 20% too high. The fun times are when two neighbors do that to each other on the same day.

Another benefit from that is that is now a new sale price.........a higher sale price. That is now seen as what land is selling for in the area. That drags up the value of all his other land, so his net worth climbs. His leverage or ability to borrow even more goes up. 

Lot more to motivation for buying farmland than annual cash on cash return.

Edited by modirt - 31 Mar 2022 at 11:36am
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

A recent 122 acre parcel (it was advertised as 5 "lots") sold as 1 for $12,232 per acre How long to recoup this chunk of change ??

Tell me how 160 acres less than 2 miles from place sells for $16,500/acre will recoup that money?
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 4:42pm
Jeez and last week a 1/2 section back here brought $1780 an acre and I thought that was stupid high. 
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 4:56pm
A parcel near here sold for that much and then was promptly tiled for a cost $250,000 according to my cousin who talked to the contractor.  I know the buyer could afford it.
Another 37 acres is up for auction soon. Interested to see what that goes for.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:12pm
In 1973, my dad bought a half section, the quarters were adjacent to each other, and across the road from other ground he owned. He gave $400.00/acre, and people thought that was a stupid high priced. Farming is strange; in it doesn't matter, (to some extent) how much you pay for the ground, but if you can pay for it.

Edited by bigal121892 - 31 Mar 2022 at 6:45pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:20pm
The father of a friend of mine did similar.  Bought wet ground no one wanted.  After he passed,  left a sizable gift to his 5 children.  My friend retired early. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

So, almost $1.5M.

Not sure what  profit after inputs per acre on corn is going to look like this year.  Some years it's $50, some years over $100.  This year?????  Pick a number.......

Let's say $75.  $75 / $12,232 per acre  =.6% return on the money, $100 is .8%.  Most brick and mortar local banks are paying about .01-.015% now?  Some of the sexy online banks are paying .4-.7%, so right in line with that.  Pick your own profit per acre if you don't like mine, it's not going to change that much.

Farm it for 20 years, and now it's worth $2.7M.  

Point is, those who pay that kind of money per acre and FARM it, not develop it into a subdivision or something, don't borrow the money to buy it, that'd be a whole lot harder to justify.  But if you have the cash to pay for it, whole different analysis.  
Yes Tbone, the buyer is a farmer, not a "developer" Tongue .  Thanks for the reply Big smile
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

A recent 122 acre parcel (it was advertised as 5 "lots") sold as 1 for $12,232 per acre How long to recoup this chunk of change ??

Tell me how 160 acres less than 2 miles from place sells for $16,500/acre will recoup that money?

OUCH !!!!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

What does "The 20% over is simple." mean?

20% rise in local price is explained by the 20% Capital gains tax you will lose if you don't reinvest in land.
Learning AC...slowly
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 4:46am
My wife has been attempting to justify selling our small farm plot then use the funds to pay off the house and nine acre loan.  Tried to explain how cannot just pay off a existing loan once sell Ag ground as CG tax still applies until BUY another piece of Ag ground, goes completely over her head.

Land here doubled against our purchase price of ten years ago, taxes climbed associatively. Land in the grain belt region north of here has been bought up until pricing went nuts where is now dead in the water, sales are well beyond limited where leases have taken hold.  Around here the ‘Buyer Remorse’ of recent land grab purchasers intent of having a place to self subsist for food is not working out so well.  Need fuel to run equipment, need a truck to move equipment or materials, had to build a house then storage for the equipment, roads need rock, land needs amendments, no idea how to attend a ‘feeder’ steer or pigs or chickens and absolutely no idea how to get butchered Nd prepped to freezer store or have the area for multiple freezers and backup power to keep freezers operational.
Initial Expense is a far cry from the delusion dream have land and live off it.  Farming is a art form that takes as much practice as a Rembrandt quality artist.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 6:55am

Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

OUCH !!!!
OK, but what 20% rise over local,. . .Or are you just saying one feeds the other?  One of those deals where if someone is going to spend the same amount of money, they'd rather buy something than pay tax.  Or asking price to cover the tax.  Asking doesn't always mean getting.  At 20% the price of land would double every 4 years.  Don't think it's quite that bad.

If you were referring to the 20% I mentioned, that ain't what I meant.  Up here land is only about 20% the cost of land in Indiana, so the Mennonites have a LOT of money to buy bigger farms here than they had there, and they come out on top.  Folks living here don't have the cash reserve to compete for the most part.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:01am
Many resent Midwest farmland purchases are probably paid MOSTLY with CASH on hand?
Theoretically, a moderately sized 3000 acre Midwest CORN farm may average 220+ bu/acre sold @$5/bu grain price(2021 price?)~$3.3million in grain revenue. Computes to $1100/acre gross, then subtract $625~/acre "non-land" input costs which leaves $475~/acre profit times 3000 acre ~ $1.4million annually grain revenue. 

If you were to cash rent farmland, then the above corn input costs might be closer to $1050/acre. So purchasing farmland is like reinvesting your profits & in theory, removing the initial land expense over career of business...

But today's 2022 corn inputs have risen too ~$755/acre?  Commodity corn price has been rising too. Yesterday's corn @ $7.31/bu cash price local elevator or $7.76/bu river terminal price @ St. Louis, MO Mississippi River. Basis (logistics/demand?)determines the differences of location prices.

Edited by AC7060IL - 01 Apr 2022 at 7:05am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:12am
Dm, she does make sense, providing ,the selling price covers the CG taxes, lawyers fees, and 'other expenses'. You need to put on paper all the numbers to see if it's a good deal.

Being able to have a 'burn the mortgage' party is really nice !

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:18am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Many resent Midwest farmland purchases are probably paid MOSTLY with CASH on hand?
Theoretically, a moderately sized 3000 acre Midwest CORN farm may average 220+ bu/acre sold @$5/bu grain price(2021 price?)~$3.3million in grain revenue. Computes to $1100/acre gross, then subtract $625~/acre "non-land" input costs which leaves $475~/acre profit times 3000 acre ~ $1.4million annually grain revenue. 

If you were to cash rent farmland, then the above corn input costs might be closer to $1050/acre. So purchasing farmland is like reinvesting your profits & in theory, removing the initial land expense over career of business...

But today's 2022 corn inputs have risen too ~$755/acre?  Commodity corn price has been rising too. Yesterday's corn @ $7.31/bu cash price local elevator or $7.76/bu river terminal price @ St. Louis, MO Mississippi River. Basis (logistics/demand?)determines the differences of location prices.

Many moons ago, on a different forum, I was going through the "corn numbers".  I asked what guys budgeted for profit after inputs, "Like, $400 per acre?"  Got called an idiot, told must be nice, asked if I ever grew corn before, etc.   

Anyway, I totally believe you....but on the other hand, that's 1 year.  Can you say you profit $475 per year average for 20 years?  Up here in my half of MI, a guy can make a profit on corn.  I've made $20 per acre, I've made about $420.  That $420 was a good set of circumstances with price and good yield for my area.    I've also broke even, and I've also lost money.  I was going to use $200......decided to go with a bad year to show even then you could get an ROI.  Smile 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:19am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Dm, she does make sense, providing ,the selling price covers the CG taxes, lawyers fees, and 'other expenses'. You need to put on paper all the numbers to see if it's a good deal.

Being able to have a 'burn the mortgage' party is really nice !

Agreed.  And how much interest will be spent over the years paying on the loan?  That money is "gone" just as much as tax.  
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 12:29pm
The last 1/2 section I bought I was going to pay for in cash but when I went in with bags full of $100 bills they wouldn’t accept them, so I had to borrow the money and now pay interest on a mortgage. Damn the luck!  Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 12:40pm
Back in late 1980's, heard of a guy in SW MO what bought a farm for $600,000. He die bring cash to the closing. Took them hours to count it.

When asked why cash......he replied......contract said cash. Apparently never understood the difference between cash and credit.

When asked if he was nervous about hauling a suitcase with $600,000 cash in it around.....he said no. Pulled back his coat and had a 45 revolver tucked in his pants.

Those were the days.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 12:42pm
We had an older black couple bought a 40 acre place near us once. At closing......they also brought in a sack of money. When counting was done.......they were short. Looked at each other trying to figure out what went wrong........then he says to her.......hey.....we brought the wrong sack.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 1:10pm
LOL

We had a local German Mennonite Mexican that bought old farm equipment and sent it south of the boarder. He had no checking account he operated in all cash. Guess he sent 20 + semi loads or containers south every year. 

Anyways when I worked at the local parts house/repair shop he was our best customer and when he paid his bill the boss always took care of himWink   One day he came into pay and the boss wasn’t around so I told him he owed whatever and he opened up a suitcase full of wrapped 100s he peeled off 12 said keep the change he was late for a auction and out the door he went and tossed the suitcase in back of the pickup and took off. LOL

Nicest and smartest man I’ve ever met. Was fluid in 4 languages German French Spanish English and he claimed the Spanish spoken in South America was different than here so maybe 5. I think he came here via Canada. 

Oops back to Freeds topic, yes land is way to cheap in Michigan. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 1:17pm
Most anybody with a brain and cash money is looking to buy something anything that will not blow away in the wind with war and inflation both looming. That fits with all the news about the billionaires being big owners of farmland the last year or two.

A guy here has been selling hay by the bale just like the feed store.  Always turn a check into cash. Told me the other day been turning cash into gold. His wife inherited some money had it in the stock market. She is buying commercial real-estate , easier to kick out if they don't pay than families in a house. But office space is getting harder to rent with the work at home movement.  
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 1:27pm
Investing in Those almond orchards you have out there would get rid of some cash.  Whew that’s not cheap. 
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 2:24pm

[/QUOTE]
OK, but what 20% rise over local,. . .Or are you just saying one feeds the other?  One of those deals where if someone is going to spend the same amount of money, they'd rather buy something than pay tax.  Or asking price to cover the tax.  Asking doesn't always mean getting.  At 20% the price of land would double every 4 years.  Don't think it's quite that bad.

If you were referring to the 20% I mentioned, that ain't what I meant.  Up here land is only about 20% the cost of land in Indiana, so the Mennonites have a LOT of money to buy bigger farms here than they had there, and they come out on top.  Folks living here don't have the cash reserve to compete for the most part.
[/QUOTE]

Ok now I get it. I misunderstood you. Your ground brings 20% what Indiana gets.
Learning AC...slowly
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 11:25pm
I just saw prime vineyard in Napa county with a wine making facility was $500,000 per acre. Wink I don't have the taste buds to tell how expensive the dirt was where the grapes grew. LOL But when your rich and famous and want wine from your own vineyard, you got a pay.

Almonds farm about like a row crop all from a tractor seat, other than irrigation. But modern drip is not hard work ether, just keeping your water rights can be hard. But 2 ton of nuts per acre at  $2 a pounds starts adding up for a nice gross. You only replant ever 25 or 30 years.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 12:28am
There were 2 110 acre tracts of land just sold by my house and they both brought over 1 million dollars.  West of me there was an 80 acre tract that sold several years ago and it brought 1.17 million.  I was talking to the guy I help on the farm and his comment was unless you have at least 50% of the selling price to pay for it you will have a hard time making ends meet.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic