This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm harvesting...WooHoo!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm harvesting...WooHoo!
    Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 10:07pm
finally got the second oil filter off, I grabbed the new ones that I had carried up with me a few days ago, went to wipe sum oil on the gasket and a whole bunch of shelled corn fell out of one of the new ones! I spose a mouse carried them up and put them inside the filter overnight! It went to a lot of work last night! got them all cleaned out and got both of them on, I love combining corn! filled with oil, then got the new batteries installed, the combine started right up, checked for any leaks and found none! WooHoo! lifted the head up and tried to latch it to the combine, but that is a no go for now. It's heavy nuff, it'll stay down, I just won't drop/run the snoots on the ground. went out and combined a wagon load and filled the combine again, no issues, just did end rows today/tonight. appears all the lights still work. Old Glory is wav'in in the breeze above the combine. I'm happy so far, I love combining corn, it's the reward of the work all year! a friend came out and helped me some on this machine, he has one like it in his shed...said they do great on crops and give great samples. not bad for a 42 year old machine! I'll resume tomarrow after I hook up the Dodge to the wagon. Thanks to you all too for the helpful hints while I was getting this machine ready!
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 1:56am
Good to hear, now get out there and git'r done!  WooHoo!
    WooHoo!                   WooHoo!                  WooHoo!         

Nothing like when everything is working good.
  Geez Dale, when you going to start postin pictures for all of us to see your thrills... ?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 8:23am
Get a buddy to help get that head latched on. That could cause an ugly problem.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 7:51pm
Dale, Get that dam head hooked up. I was fixing a tire on a 1460 Binder several years ago. I got the tire fixed. Set the machine down crawled out with the jack in my hand and I had gotten to my knees when that 6 row head hit the ground. A few seconds earlier and the old gal would have been a widow.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:24am
NEVER crawl under any cornhead or header on a combine without the safety ram or a big olestrong something under it! (I use the safety ram and an unused combine wheel under it) 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:25am
I'll try to get it latched today before doing the hills.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:03am
Not trying to scare anyone but there are encounters out there about this subject.  Matt Griggs who is a you-tuber from TN is an example and his video may still be available.  He was on the road in a pretty new CIH combine.  Head either wasn't properly secured or became unfastened if that's possible.  He hit a dip, head came loose and combine attempted to leap-frog over the head.  Matt was ejected out the front of the cab into the carnage.  He probably wouldn't be alive except the hydrostat line was severed & the combine stopped.  Combine was rebuilt & in use today.  He is also a believer in seatbelts when on the road.  It's a miracle he survived. 
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 5:19pm
Way to go Dale! I too really miss pickin’ corn n combining oats!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 5:29pm
Glad you got it going. Now you can play with it instead of that darn machine. Right about now I would take some pretty just to get some moisture though.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:51pm
What machine do you have?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:27pm
Wayne...it's an IH 1440 rotary.I hauled about a semi load into town today behind the Dodge in a gravity flow wagon. it's faster with the pickup cuz the wagon will trail straight and smooth up to 45 MPH empty. on;y ggo about 15 when full. was told today that the elevators will all be closed over the weekend, so a buddy of mine will bring 2 of his semi's to me to fill over the weekend. that will help BIG TIME! still gonna fill the gravity flow too.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 10:56pm
How many acres do have Dale?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 11:12pm
WAY TO GO SHAMERS!!!

Makes my heart feel good to know that  you're happy and won't have time to play with that other infernal machine!  Although they're talking a little of that white stuff tonight/morning.  Good way to start Veteran's Day.

Have FUN Buddy and stay safe!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 8:56pm
well I was harvesting, seems a gathering chain has come off and is wedged just under the deck plate...TIGHT! PfffffT! I have never replaced or had a gathering chain give me problems before, of course it couldn't be one of the middle ones, where the tin work can move out of the way...had to be the very end one on one side. takes the whole head down! PfffffT! will work on it tonight, gathering up work lights, I have no idea what size wrenches will be needed yet. can't see up in there to see, can feel it, if i'm feeling the right thing! it's COLD out there! anyone know what size wrench i'll need? not much room to turn one either way.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 9:52pm
Wait till daylight, the corn will still be there. If you are itching for something to do, go chop corn stalks, or start fall plowing.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 11:49pm
Get the latches set and use the cylinder safety lock before you tackle the gathering chain. 
 I'll guess the spring tensioners got rusted while setting and got pushed back and stayed there. Then the chain jumped off. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:24pm
almost done....cept another gathering chain jammed and locked the head up! PfffffT! looking at it tonight, appears them gathering chains are just wore out! this one the chain pulled apart after the chain pin came out! next link shows alot of stretch wear...I only gots about 4-5 acres left, i'll replace this one with new and worry about the others next fall since the corn head hasta sit outside all year. don't want new chains out in the weather all year. oh...and I gots a grain leak somewhere on the combine, can hear the grain dropping, but can't see it. I leave a little pile when I stop to unload. it isn't much, be good food for the wildlife! lol
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 9:48pm
Since your so close to done, just run without that outter row chain on... mmm I suppose this chain is somewhere in the middle?  Just put a new link in and finish, then buy all new chains next year. Just a thought.

Shameless, you need to start taking pictures of your harvest / combine and post them on here....
You can do that, if not get yur ol' la.., ah er,  your luvin wife to post them for you. Wink

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 11:25pm
I 2nd what Jerry said. No pictures? = It didn’t happen!

Edited by Lars(wi) - 12 Nov 2023 at 11:26pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 10:03pm
gots the 2nd new gathering chain on, there's no connecting links on the new chains, they are already in a loop. gotta almost take the whole adjustment slide off the head to put the new one on. anyway, got the new one on and am going again. I gots a grain leak somewhere on the combine, can't see it, but can hear the kernals dropping...think they are dropping back inside the machine, then filling up inside, then dropping outside on the ground. I just start the machine slow and the kernals will come back up and dump into the grain bin. I spose I gots a hole in the grain bin somewhere I can't see! I have about 2 wagone loads left and i'll be done for this year. took the semi loads to Cargill, they told the semi drivers that my corn was the cleanest they have had all year come in. that old combine is still working good, sucks that it's gots so many leaks all over it. I may hafta replant corn in that field again just to keep the costs of chemicals down to kill any volenteer corn in it! lol
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 10:38pm
You might have it half seeded already!! LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 2:12pm
WinkHope you get done so you can tend that other favorite machine of yours.Cry The poor weather guesser was about Cry crying about no pretty, as the snow level was above 8000 feet in the Sierria Nevada. So no snow skiing for Thanksgiving. An weather boy seems to have a thing for the snow bunnies.LOL But he is almost Confused guarantying rain here at my place. Ermm But he has been wrong more than right before. So................................I am waiting.

Always a good feeling to be done harvesting.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 9:03pm
I'M DONE!!!!! finished up this afternoon. took the last load in behind the Dodge, but stopped at a gas station and grabbed a 12-pack...shared it with the elevator manager and employees after dumping out the wagon. The manager told me he liked the way I think! lol now i'll gits the combine cleaned out, open the trap doors, take down Old Glory, and hopefully park it where it won't be in the way for a year! It feels good to be done, but will miss it out there at night combining, I love combining corn at night, cept my light quit on the unload auger, had to hold a flashlight out there to see when to move and not run any grain out over the side. I sold all the corn I have at the elevator for $4.90 a bu. what are the prices where you are at? the Cargill plant pays more than that, but don't know how much yet. the prices change about every 10 mins there. I also saw the longest semi grain trailer i've ever seen while at the elevator, long sucker...triple axle with a another lift tag on the back, I asked how long that thing was and the driver told me 50 ft....BS....I have a 53 ft at home and this one is way longer than mine! he just smiled and walked off. had nice weather all thru harvest, only 2 breakdowns and both were the gathering chains on the new to me corn head...no biggy! combine ran great, always started, thought that was pretty good after sitting outside 8 years in the weather. everything electrical worked, no mouse damage that I could see, just had the trouble with the filters, but can't really count that as a breakdown. well I did hafta gits a new tire before starting out. I feel fortunute on the holding up of the combine since I watched the big servive/repair trucks from the green stores go by every day and sometimes more than once...them are all newer and some real new and are broke.  
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 9:51pm
Way to go Dale!! How many acres do you have?

Edited by Lars(wi) - 15 Nov 2023 at 9:54pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 10:53pm
all together 72
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

all together 72

O, heck your just getting back in the groove. Your off-season assignment is to secure rent/lease on an additional 72 acres of tillable land, and every off-season from here on out. We’ll get you back into BTO swing of things in no time flat.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 5:30am
Always a good feeling to be done with harvest!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 11:07pm
Thanks Lars....but no thanks. this is nuff for me, I don't move around as fast as I used to, but it sure was fun again this year to be out there doing the farming thing even if it was on a very small scale. I haven't got my tally sheet yet as to how many bu per acre I secured. would have been more i'm sure had I found all the leaks in the combine! lol anyways I wish I was still combining corn, I love that...especially at night. oh...and i've been looking at a 12 row 30 inch planter, you spose that would do the job a little faster? lol...it would gits the neighbors jaws flapping anyways! anyone know about the WHITE brand planters? 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 4:34am
 Well, GOOD BUDDY,,,it gives me GREAT Pleasure to see you enjoying yourself getting back to farming as it is obvious you really loved doing that,,,!!! Just Be Careful and don't overdo it,,!!  
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 7:47am
I wouldn't be afraid of a White planter one bit. Only thing, there are A LOT of wear parts on a 12 row!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic