This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

baler belts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baler belts
    Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 8:52am
My 20 year old JD baler belts are beginning to rip around the clipper laces on the outside belts. The baler has never seen rain or been outside at night and has baled about 12K round bales. The local JD dealer mechanic wants to repair the two belts, restoring them  to original factory length. I'm not sure this is a good idea as all the belts have some "stretch" in them by now. Baler still makes a tight consistent bale. Wouldn't repairing them to current length be a better idea ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 9:01am
In my experience the most important thing is that all the belts are the same length.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 11:28am
Having them cut back to original length is pretty common, and a good idea. It definitely won't hurt.

Interestingly, baler belts go through a few different stages of 'stretch' in their life. For the first couple of years they'll actually shrink a little (unless stored with tension on them). Then they'll start to stretch over time. Yours are likely at this stage, where they're longer than the factory length. It's not going to hurt anything and only help to get them cut back to factory length and re-laced. The only thing that will cause trouble is if they're inconsistent lengths. You can actually go up to 4 or 5" under factory length and still be fine - the only thing it will affect is not being able to make quite as large a diameter. On our JD 435 the belts are now 4" under factory spec., so we can't go quite to 6' diameter. Doesn't matter for us as we never bale that large anyway.

If yours are overlength now, I wouldn't want to have them re-laced to that extra-long length: They'll have to cut 1" or so off the ends to get good material to lace to, so to get to the current overlength they'd need to splice additional pieces into the belt. Some folks do that, but it's usually only done as an interim measure to fix a broken belt and get through a season. It tends to cause grief tracking them, and is harder to ensure they're all a consistent length.

Edited by DanielW - 26 Sep 2023 at 11:30am
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 11:34am
I should add: If they get too long/stretched, the baler can be more prone to plugging when starting a bale because the take-up roller won't have enough stroke to apply full tension right at the start, and thus the belts are more likely to slip a little when first entering the windrow. Another reason why it's a good idea to go back to factory length.
Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 8:08am
Thanks for the suggestions and the benefit of your experiences. My take away is that I should get all 6 belts resized to factory spec and repaired . it makes sense as my original thought to return to present length would necessitate 4 splices for the two outer belts, when I could get all resized to factory length with 2 more splices. Now to locate someone to trust to actually resize accurately for the 4 long belts and the 2 short ones. Thanks again.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 8:46am
We used to have our own lacing tool etc and always checked all belts to ensure they were the same length.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Longmeadow Farm Longmeadow Farm wrote:

Now to locate someone to trust to actually resize accurately for the 4 long belts and the 2 short ones. Thanks again.

You definitely want someone that makes them a consistent length, but cutting belts and installing clipper lacing is pretty straight forward. I suspect your Deere dealership (or any other dealer) does it all the time, so they'd probably be as good as anywhere. Things to make sure of are that the belts are cut square, the trailing edge has tapered/chamfered corners, and the leading lace has the outer-most rings on both sides. I think with the 3-ply diamond pattern Deere belts you might have to skive off the top diamond cover, but I could be remembering that wrong. The Deere dealer would know.

I always use the 'smart locks' to retain the wire on clipper lacing because I like the idea of tying the last few hooks together on either side. I've had good luck with them, but I have also heard others complain about them. Ultimately I don't think it really matters. As long as they're tracking ok, the regular method of just tucking the wire back under the hooks works fine. When you go to tuck the wire back under, sometimes there isn't enough room to get it under there. An old trick is to heat a nail red hot and jam it in there so it melts/vulcanizes a path for it.

Edited by DanielW - 27 Sep 2023 at 2:36pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 6:48am
Just curious, but how does the cost of resizing your present (twenty-year-old) belts compare to buying new belts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic