This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD-45 Engine Rebuild Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisozzyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD-45 Engine Rebuild Help
    Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:06pm
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I am in the process of rebuilding a WD-45 engine and currently have it at a machine shop for some cylinder head work as well as having new sleeves put in the block. The shop is telling me that the center two bores in the block are out-of-round, which is causing excessive clearance between the piston and sleeve. They are suggesting that the bores need to be welded and re-bored to the original size. Is this a common problem with these engines? Would I be better off trying to find another block vs getting this one fixed? Are there any shops near central Ohio that you guys would suggest for this work, the one that has it now says they can't do it. 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:15pm
Gees...i wonder how far out of round they are ?  The liners are smaller than the block , loose fit.. Its the o-rings between the two that do all the sealing..... I would think they would really have to be WAY OUT to effect the seal... and i dont see how that effects the pistons ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:22pm
I'm with Steve.  I don't see how that is possible with a wet sleeve block.  Been around them 25 years and never once heard of it.  They do know the proper procedure for putting the pistons on the rods, right?  They are NOT centered in the piston.  I wonder if that is the issue.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:43pm
or they are trying to pound the sleeves into the cruddy bores without cleaning first ??  But any shop should know that..... rod alignment is a good idea..
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:12pm
They will square up when you torque the head. Might want to find another shop.                        MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:51pm
what they are saying makes no sense....they probably don't know that you can have cracked webs on top and no harm either. i'd be looking for some one who knows these engines.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 6:50am
Clean the bores. Install the sleeves without O-rings. The sleeves should move freely and you will be able to rotate the sleeve easily while in the engine. Put the O-rings on and install the sleeve. Fill the block with antifreeze and leave it set overnight. Check for leaks the next day. Tell us what you find.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 10:32am
Turn your sleeve upside down and put it in counter bore ,how dose that fit feel . Is there any sleeve protrusion of sleeve flange above block deck.

Edited by Fred in Pa - 21 Sep 2023 at 10:59am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
chrisozzyman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisozzyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:21pm
Lon, thank you for this info. The shop told me they used a press to install the new sleeves. They also noted that the old ones were very difficult to remove. The new sleeves are part of a 4.125 overbore kit from DJS Tractor, but the OD is the same as the stock sleeve. The fact that a press was needed to install them as well as the fact that two are out-of-round makes me wonder if the new sleeves are just out of tolerance. I am going to try to find a shop that has experience with these engines vs. one that specializes in automotive. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisozzyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:31pm
Fred, the shop told me they used a press to install them, which I have now learned shouldn't be necessary. Going to try to find a shop that has experience with these. I have moved since I dropped it off to them and haven't been able to go look at it with their strange business hours. It has been at the current shop for almost a year and my patience has run out.  
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisozzyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:38pm
Steve, thanks for the info. I didn't know that the sleeves should be "loose" in the block. (This is my first time rebuilding an engine of any kind, trying to learn as much as I can). The shop told me they installed the sleeves with a press, which leads me to believe there is something else going on. They told me the block bore was about ten thousandths out-of-round, so maybe they deformed the sleeve when they pressed it in?  
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:49pm
I worked on Allis engine over 60 years never used a press put them in buy hand
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:54pm
This shop sounds like it could have made an episode of the THREE-STOOGES.  They are clueless  !!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:58pm
The liners need to be checked to see that they are ROUND... The block bore needs to be wire brush and maybe strap lapped to cleanup .  If the bore is TIGHT , it needs honed so that the liners will drop in without the o-rings... NO PRESS.

Bore out of round a couple thousandths will not be a problem.. The o-rings will seal that up.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Sep 2023 at 1:05pm
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 5:08pm
I sure hope they didn't damage anything by forcing those sleeves in :-(
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 7:19am
A few minutes with a drill and wire brush and the sleeves should drop in by hand (without O rings). 

Does this "shop" not read or follow directions? Every new sleeve I have ever installed had instructions how to install them. They have probably ruined the sleeves. You would be better off to read the instructions and install the sleeves yourself.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 12:14pm
WF,they don't all clean up that easy....just saying. Don't give false hope.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 12:50pm
Hurry and get your stuff outta' that shop! I wouldn't let them work on a Breaks n' Scrappin' engine! Obviously, they don't know what their doin'..... Pressing the sleeves in? Yikes!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 7:25am
Who ordered the engine kit.
Question for you guys. Is it possible it’s the wrong kit. Maybe wrong sleeves 
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 10:53am
Is that even possible?  All the W and G blocks take the same sleeve.  But a good measurement of the OD of old vs new would confirm a bad batch of sleeves.
AaronSEIA
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 8:25pm
Hi There,
Here's an old topic I wrote when rebuilding my WD45 a few years wiht lots of good pictures and discussion. Maybe it will help you out.
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/wd45-rebuild-progress_topic126761_page1.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic