This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil coming from injectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil coming from injectors
    Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 9:42pm
Hey everyone, new to the forum and a new owner of an AC 185, my first tractor.

I noticed a potential oil leak so I cleaned off the engine and drove it around and inspected the engine after. It looks like oil potentially bubbling out were the injector sleeves are? I’ve read that it could be fuel that’s just coming out looking dirty?

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 9:56pm
It's from a leaking valve cover gasket. Maybe it doesn't leak anymore, if it's been fixed, but it will take some time for the injector bores to dry up.
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 10:18pm
Ok I was wondering if that would be the case. I have a feeling it hasnt been fixed so ill order a gasket and see if that'll fix it. Probably not a bad place to start. Thanks!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 8:37am
Seems the leaky injector always turns out to be the valve cover gasket.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:14am
The cooper washers on the injectors will need to be replaced if you have bubbles. 
I just went through this on a customers  185. Same thing, valve cover gasket had a slight leak and was bubbling around  2 of the injectors. 
replaced the gasket, removed the injectors, cleaned the injector bores in the head and replaced the copper injector washers and then gave the engine a good pressure washing and life was good.

dan 
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 2:15pm
Would you happen to have a parts number on those copper washers?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 2:34pm
Get your valve cover gasket dried up first. Chances are very low that you will need copper compression washers.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:03pm
If you do need to look up any parts you can normally use the AGCO parts site here: http://parts.agcocorp.com
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 8:53pm
there are two different parts numbers depending on the style injector you have.

74025150 or 74009035.

once your oil leak is fixed/dried you won't see any bubbles, if you want to check for a compresson leak you can use a spay bottle with some soapy water.
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 11:47pm
It's usually the valve cover gasket leaking. Even after replacing gasket it takes a while to get the oil cooked out of the injector bores. 
IF you're going to replace the gasket there is an updated hold down bolt kit available that seems to help keep gasket from leaking again. It came out in 1982 on 649 & 670 engines.

#4008074, Valve cover gasket, not sure what the new gasket # is. the AGCO dealer will !
#74036974, Bolt kit. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:23pm
If copper gaskets are leaking, it will be clean around injector and dust shields will usually be gone.
Glue new gasket to valve cover with a good glue (3M 1099 or yellow window sealer) let dry over night, torque bolts until they all torque the same.                     MACK
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 8:10am
Awesome thanks guys! Gasket should be in next week.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 3:40pm
Something we started doing many years ago - we use 1/4" X6" bolts to replace the sometime almost impossible to get to Phillips head screws.  Unless you have the belville washer set up this works neat because with a wrench you can better tighten the bolts evenly - just be sure not to over torque and bend the cover in. We also find that after a few heat/cool cycles the new cork gasket needs retorqueing ... Spreaders like was used on 409's and others available on line and at speed shops spread the pressure on each side of the bolt/screw on all but end bolts. Looks pretty neat as well and gets you away from a hot manifold. 

Edited by tbran - 10 Sep 2023 at 3:41pm
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 8:10pm
Don't you mean to say 1/4x3/4 bolts?   I've got hands full of Phillips bolts that I have replaced over the years.            MACK    
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 11:09pm
tbran it sounds like you trying to make those tee handle valve cover bolts like we used to have on the old chevys  they realy did work well
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 7:45am
Bet Tim means 6" long bolts with a nut screwed up to top of threads, creating a long handled bolt much like they sell for the chebbies. I use allen head bolts (1/4 X 3/4 or 1" long) with a lock washer, and just use my t handle wrench to tighten them. Hard to overtighten that way lol! 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:43pm
I like Doc's .017 cold and forget.....no heat involved.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 6:11pm
Funny you mentioned this bolt setup- seen that on a 210 at Boonville this last weekend!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 7:08pm
The really long 1/4" bolts with nuts installed is very helpful on those 426 engines with intercoolers. Another inch of room would have been nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic