This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7040 AC compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7040 AC compressor
    Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 2:38am
So this last 3 weeks of mowing hay I have had a rebuilt AC compressor and clutch assembly purchased from All States Ag fail like making a horrible noise. And they don’t seem to answer my calls.    We followed all instructions from the oil type additive to a new dryer and vacuumed system and added correct Freon. This unit was supposed to be a reman of the original Frigidaire. Some called it an A5 or A6 or something like that. My question is rather than fiddle around with another unit of this type is there a better alternative way to go?   Thank you! Dana
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 5:00am
https://www.apairinc.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=145986

Hi Dana. Above is a weblink to a AC 7040 replacement compressor offered by AP Air Inc. I installed this same compressor on my 7060, probably 15 yrs ago? Still running cold. They have about everything you need to accompany a restoration of an older air conditioning system. Once the weblink opens for the compressor, you will notice in the upper left of the page, an “arrow back” AP Air Inc. Just click on that arrow & it will take you to their menu. Select “make/model”. Then select AGCO/Allis, then tractors, then select 7040 to see everything else they offer for the 7040.

Edited by AC7060IL - 06 Sep 2023 at 5:01am
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:02am
Ok so you replaced your original unit with the same Eric? I was thinking there is another manufacturer and the kit came with a new bracket new style compressor, yada yada…..
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:17am
The link shows a Sanden unit. Requires the bracket be replaced with the one in the kit. It's the one I put in my 7040 and I got it from All States.
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:42am
Sanden is made in Wylie and Garland Texas or Japan.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 8:30am
Did you flush the system before assembling the a/c system?  I know 4 Seasons requires a flush, new expansion valve and receiver-dryer as part of their warranty. 
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 1:23pm
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 8:38pm
We did many retrofits on road tractors in the mid to late 1990s. The best value in my experience and opinion is to install the whole system hoses and all brand new with 
R 134 a.
We acquired a 1979 model 7060 in 1985, 900 hrs. AC leaked a little all the time and had to be charged and worked on it all the time, R-12 was 99 cents a can no big deal to add a little or replace a component. I retrofitted this tractor in 2011 and knock on wood it has stayed leak free for all this time. Used AP air for the parts they fit right and were affordable in my opinion. Your results may vary.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:29pm
That's the one I installed in my 1966 Pontiac in place of the Delco A-6 3-4 years ago. Fit perfect in the original bracket and with the OEM lines and works perfect. The Delco A-6's do not do well with R-134.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:31pm
I should add. I also got a larger condenser from oldair products as well. 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 8:43am
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Ok so you replaced your original unit with the same Eric? I was thinking there is another manufacturer and the kit came with a new bracket new style compressor, yada yada…..

Yes. Your post seemed concentrated on compressor, so I copied it's link.
But I purchased the complete conversion kit as the original system's hoses, condenser, dryer, & expansion valve were either leaking, aged, or questionable for the newer R134a conversion from old R12. My local HVAC contractor recommended dryer & expansion valve replacement due to age & newer R134a. I think the coil in cab roof was ok.  
Anyway, contractor initially pulled a vacuum on original system to remove any old R12. And then he recharged system with nitrogen gas & used sniffer to locate many leaks & issues. At that, he left and I purchased/replaced all the old parts(compressor, leaking condenser, hoses, dryer, expansion valve0 with newer AP Air Sanden kit plus a condenser. Per contractor's suggestion, I snugged all items up, but didnt over-tighten them. Then contractor returned to do another vac which exposed yet another leak down. So we carefully snugged up all fittings just enough to seal up system - another vac of the system then cleaned it out & held. Then system was filled with R134a. 
It's been freezing me out since. I also re insulated the cab dash as most of that original foam was mouse chewed, dust ridden, and/or shrunken from age.  Think I also had to repair mouse chewed cab roof coil drain pan & cleaned out it drain hoses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic