This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Starting/Running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudi211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Starting/Running
    Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 11:40pm
Hi,

New to the forum.  I have a CA which I parked about 10 months ago.  Fuel was bad so I replaced it, and I made sure to shut fuel switch so the carb should be good.

Yesterday, when I went to start it, it barely cranked so I ran to the store and replaced the battery.  Same issue with the new battery, and most notably, I can see smoke coming from the starter.  

I then went ahead and connected a 12v batter directly to the starter, the motor cranked and the tractor started.

It started and ran for a while and then died after I ran around on it and let it idle in the garage. 

So I actually have two issues.  1. Starting and cranking and 2. Motor cutting off suddenly under idle conditions after running. 

I have basic auto knowledge and these things are about as basic as they come.  Hopefully, it's not a monumental lift.  Thanks so much!  
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 6:19am
You need to replace BOTH battery cables and possibly the starter solenoid.
Never should have sold my '51 CA, sniff, sniff....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 6:24am
Welcome to the forum!

There are many unknowns here.

For the starter, have you checked the connections. Is both the starter and battery grounds nice and clean. Is the contact surface in the starter button clean? How big are the battery cables? Everything must be clean and you need big battery cables for a 6 volt system.

For the sudden stalling, you need to find if it's an electrical (spark) or fuel problem. 

To check fuel, take the gas line off the carburetor and open the shutoff at the sediment bowl. If you don't have a real strong gas flow and it stays consistent for at least a full minute, you have an obstruction somewhere in the fuel system (which I am betting is your problem). It's also possible the float in the carburetor is stuck down and not allowing enough gas in to keep it running. Sometimes just tapping the carburetor will free a stuck float.

If it's electrical, the first thing to do would be clean the points with some electrical contact cleaner. It could be a bad condenser or coil, but, as I said before, I suspect your problem is fuel supply.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 7:43am
Has this tractor been converted to 12V with a alternator?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
pudi211 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudi211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:01am
All great advice. Give me a few days to do all these things and I’ll get back. It’s still a 6v system but I’m thinking the stalling issue could be sediment since it came on suddenly and there was some bad fuel in the tank which probably gummed up in the bottom and made its way into the line.

I rented a skid steer for The Weeknd so I need to jump on that to get my money’s worth. Meantime I’ll order a new battery cable from a reputable vendor who specializes in antique tractors.

Looks like the batter cable should be 2 gauge. The cable is pretty worn out so I was going to do it anyway. The ground strap is pretty beefy so I feel good about that. Thanks and I’ll post my result later this week!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:47am
2 gauge is for 12 volts.... if your going to keep it 6 volt you need twice as big a cable..

You cables MIGHT be OK.. Just need to clean the terminals.. ( unless they are aftermarket 2 gauge then they are too small).
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:23pm
I put 2/0 on my WD a few years ago. Made sure all points of contact were cleaned. Spins over like it should and starts quickly. Factory 6V

Edited by AC720Man - 03 Sep 2023 at 8:23pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
pudi211 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pudi211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 7:34pm
Update -

Replaced both the battery and ground cable with 1ga wire from TSC.  Fixed the cranking issue.

For the fuel issue.  I was out of gas - duh.  I don't keep much in it for good reasons.  But in the interest of following the suggestions on the forum, I pulled the fuel line and blew it out.  I then pulled the sediment bowl and the screen crumbled in my hand.

Bottom line, the cranking issue fixed the overall issue and the thing started right up.  I'll replace the screen and call it a day.  Case closed.  Thanks for everything!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic