This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Loader Hydraulics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Loader Hydraulics
    Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 11:05am
I have a Du-Al front loader on my D-15. A couple of days ago it stopped moving, as in won't budge. There was no gradual slowdown in it's movement. I was using the loader for about an hour and it seemed to work 'normal', then it ceased to work at all. I topped off the fluid, but it still won't budge. What should be my next move to figure out what the issue is?I thank you!
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 12:03pm
Check if you e sheared the pump drive. Check any quick release hoses in the system.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 12:21pm
im with Dave... The PUMP sucks the oil and pushes to the VALVE.... See if the pump is turning.... if it is, see that the hose out to the pump to the valve has pressure  ( crack one end loose ?)... Check that the valve spools are moving, all pins attached

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Aug 2023 at 12:21pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 3:16pm
sounds like could be an air lock too, does it leak anywhere? sometime while using anything hyd, it could suck air into the system, but I would check the pump too as mentioned above. do you run a pump off the PTO or plug into the tractor hyd's? 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 8:04pm
Do you mean to say the tractor stopped moving or loader stopped  going up and down? Does it have a front mounted pump with oil supply in loader frame?             MACK
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 10:17pm
Yes, just the front loader stopped moving in all the directions. Also yes, the loader pump is front-mounted, outside and below the grill and the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid is in the loader frame, which I made sure is full.  
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 10:19pm
The loader does leak fluid here and there, not big leaks, but I would not park it on my pristine driveway (if I had one).

I will start checking out these possibilities mentioned above and keep you posted. Thank you!!

Edited by John-Paul - 27 Aug 2023 at 10:22pm
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 6:34am
The splines in front pulley adapter being stripped out is my guess. If you can spin the pump shaft with a vice grip and the engine don’t move, then that’s your problem. 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 9:04pm
I'm with Nathan on splines stripped.             MACK
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 11:21pm
I was able to do this test and when I turn the pump shaft it is turning the engine belt and its associated pulleys. So the splines are doing their job, correct? I will try the other suggestions by the weekend. I am using the tractor battery for something else right now but will be able to start it back up by the weekend. Thank you!!

Edited by John-Paul - 29 Aug 2023 at 11:25pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 7:12am
the pump sucks oil from an oil tank. Is there a suction screen in the line or inside the tank before the pump ? ........... You should hear Squeeling if the pump is cavitating... If the VALVE is broken or stuck and dumping oil back to the tank instead of sending to the cylinders, you normally will not hear the squeel.

Time to see if you have flow OUT of the pump TO the valve.... then where does the oil go from the valve ?   Normally back to the TANK, until you pull the valve  OPEN.

I would still look at the pump shaft with the motor running...( should be turning).. as everyone has said, the DRIVE to the pump is the most common mode of failure.

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Aug 2023 at 7:14am
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 7:33am
There are two ends to the pump drive shaft.  Turning the shaft as you did confirms the engine end is connected but what about the pump end?  You need to see if the pump shaft is turning while the engine is running, and a hydraulic lever is moved to stroke a function.  
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 8:52pm
Rough worn. Out splines will turn pump with no load on pump. Pull a lever and see if pump still turns.                       MACK
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 10:57pm
key on the first gear inside  the  pump is sheared if the shaft is turning and the jack shaft is turning the pump shaft    , put a gauge on the presure side of pump and pull both levers back that should almost deadhead the pump and see if you have presure
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 9:24am
Hopefully this is not too long and that it makes sense....So with the engine running, the engine side shaft turns, but not the shaft going into the pump. I was the only one at home, so I was not able to view the pump shafts with a lever pulled. I thought of rigging up a mirror, but....There is the engine side shaft, then a coupler, then the shaft going into the pump. The single spleen on the pump side shaft and the groove that it mates with on the the coupler are both a bit rough and worn out, but I did not see any metal chunks missing. The coupler has two set screws. One tightens down on the engine side shaft spleen and the other down on the pump side shaft spleen. The pump side set screw was missing. I cut down a bolt and used it along with a locking washer to replace the missing set screw, and put it all back together. I started the engine - the pump side shaft WAS turning for maybe 15 seconds, but then stopped. After trying that a couple of times with the same result, I thought I needed to do something else. Two things, maybe, about the connections - first - it doesn't seem like I was getting the engine shaft, coupler and pump shaft all 'compressed' together enough for the spleens to stay securely in the their grooves. The pressure from spinning pulls them apart. And two (which I thought of after wrapping up for the evening)- is that I CAN get a better connection between the pump side shaft and the coupler by simply turning the coupler around. The groove is not as worn on the side that has been connected to the engine side shaft. So I will do this, and get the proper set screws. One thing that seems downright deficient though, is the connection between the pump shaft spleen and it's receiving  groove on the coupler. The shape of the spleen on the pump shaft is triangular (like a shark fin), but the receiving groove on the coupler is kind of shallow and rectangular, so only, maybe, a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the triangular spleen can get inserted into the groove. To keep it there, I think I need to push the whole pump towards the engine until the engine side shaft bottoms out. But to do that I need to shorten the spacers and bolts connecting the pump to the engine/tractor frame. On top of that, the set screws need to be flush with the coupler (they are not flush now) so the coupler can spin while located in the hole of the engine/tractor frame. I know it all held together for years before but I'm not sure how. The coupler DOES permit some range of adjustment, but not enough to have everything compressed tightly. I would have added photos, but I can't figure out how to get them small enough yet to upload.Unhappy  I appreciate all of your help!
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 11:08am
Here is my d15 live hydraulics conversion.  if you have to do something major this would be a good solution

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 1:26pm
John Paul, your splines on that shaft are GONE and probably the coupler they slide into are shot as well. Good splines and a good coupler have at least one full inch of overlap. They do NOT need to be compressed. They wear out from age and no lubrication of them.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 3:44pm
Some of those couplers have keyways usually the set screw holds them tight . Some hade straight keyways others had half moon keys.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 8:11am
Thank you for the postings on the hydraulics.

Repaired! or at least for the time being. By turning the coupler around and replacing a set screw, I was able to get a more secure connection between splines (not 'spleen') and grooves on both sides of the coupler.  I am gong to keep an eye out for replacement parts for the next time, but for now, at least I can raise the loader off the ground so I can use the tractor and, hopefully, use the loader for light chores for another couple of months until the snow flies here. I appreciate everyone's idea and I can see how all the issues work and mesh together. I know more now than I did. I will refer back to this conversation the next time I have an issue. Thanks again to everyone!! 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 9:07am
If you need parts, the last I knew Alex Wocking at A&W Tractor LLC | Allis-Chalmers Tractor Parts & Tractor Service (awtractor.com) had all the parts for a front mounted pump setup.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:21am
Thank you for the resource!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:33am
One thing that seems downright deficient though, is the connection between the pump shaft spleen and it's receiving  groove on the coupler. The shape of the spleen on the pump shaft is triangular (like a shark fin), but the receiving groove on the coupler is kind of shallow and rectangular, so only, maybe, a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the triangular spleen can get inserted into the groove

i think you are talking about a half moon KEYWAY...

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Sep 2023 at 8:37am
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 5:24pm
Ah, thank you. All of these terms are new to me. I was born and raised in Illinois. I'm proud of my midwest roots.

Edited by John-Paul - 03 Sep 2023 at 5:26pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

One thing that seems downright deficient though, is the connection between the pump shaft spleen and it's receiving  groove on the coupler. The shape of the spleen on the pump shaft is triangular (like a shark fin), but the receiving groove on the coupler is kind of shallow and rectangular, so only, maybe, a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the triangular spleen can get inserted into the groove

i think you are talking about a half moon KEYWAY...

Boy Steve! Im glad you could read between the lines cause it made no sense to me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic