This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

426 rod bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 426 rod bolts
    Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:38pm
What do you guys think about getting new rod bolts for a rebuild on a 3700 engine or using the same ones.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:48pm
I've always replaced rod bolts on 2000 and 3000 series engines. Many don't and get along fine. I know of many newer generation engines that want rod bolts and head bolts replaced when the engine is apart. Tell me how new rod bolts could be a bad thing ??
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:15pm
Doc makes a good point, many think those bolts stretch over time after being torqued. A good idea in my opinion if they are available.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:02pm
The instructions with 426 rod bolts say when torqued to final of 85lb they are stretched and not to be reused. Just got done with that job and a pair was $32 more or less.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 10:52am
I can tell you one way that new bolts are a bad thing. Allis Chalmers had standards in bolts that they had the ability to test and make sure they lived up to the standard. Agco for example just puts a bid out for 1000 bolts grade such and such, and the lowest bidder gets the job, and the bolts may or may not be up to the standards Allis Chalmers required. I know of 2 engines that failed after Agco rod bolts broke. To be fair that was a while ago, and I heard, but dont know for a fact that Agco was buying ARP bolts now, but cant confirm that.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:59am
Id go for quality in this matter- thats something you dont want to break
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:07pm
AGCO supplied Rod bolts for a 426 ARE indeed ARP, and they include a special bulletin just for them. I've had to reuse the ones in my puller several times. As long as a Rod bolt stretch is monitored, it can be reused, but it's junk if ever over torqued from a cheap out of calibration tq wrench. (or not so cheap, my TQFR Snap On Tq Wrenches will read high when tested. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:42pm
Found that AGCO uses ARP rod bolts when I rebuilt my D21 engine in 2004 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 10:11pm
ARP is stamped in the head...
Genedujyn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genedujyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 2:50pm
Ah, the classic rod bolt debate – it's like choosing between your favorite old-school game or trying out the latest title. Reusing the same ones can feel like sticking with a character you know inside out while getting new ones is like embarking on a fresh adventure.Speaking of adventures, if you're searching for top-notch bolts and screws, I've got a nugget for you – https://www.scrooz.cоm.au/. It's like a digital treasure trove for all your hardware needs.As for your engine rebuild, it's like leveling up your skills in a game – each choice counts. Whether you're leaning towards nostalgia or embracing new beginnings, may your rebuild be as rewarding as a well-crafted storyline.

Edited by Genedujyn - 28 Aug 2023 at 10:21am
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 8:49pm
Many decades ago one of the service reps who raced and was familiar with ARP got tired of hearing bad things about AC rod bolts and convinced them to source the 426 rod bolts from ARP - as good as one can get - never had an issue.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic