This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The latedt project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The latedt project
    Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:26am
Craigslist finally paid off, it seems to be dying a slow, agonizing death. Anyway, found this D-17 on there and it found it's way on the trailer and home with me. it has some good points and some not so good. On the not so good, carburetor was in the toolbox and a Zenith. Shouldn't these be a Marvel/Schebler? Pretty sure I have all the parts I'll need to get it running. Not just sure what I'm even going to do with it yet so stay
posted.

Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:31am
Look in pretty good shape. I like the square fenders
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Look in pretty good shape. I like the square fenders

I noticed those right away in the pictures in the ad and like them too. It's about time to start looking for carburetor parts. I think a tsx 464 is probably as close as I can get to right.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 6:52am
They came with either a Zenith or Marvel-Schebler carburetor. I never saw an advantage to one or the other.

The square fenders (from a 100 series) are great, especially for riders.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 5:02pm
TSX-464 Marvel/Shebler was used on both the D-17 and the WD-45.

According to the manual, other M/S carbs used on the D-17 are TSX-561 and TSX-773.

The Zenith model used is 267 JB.

The advantage of the M/S carbs, in my opinion is they seem to be easier to work on but neither is very complicated.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:17am

Try cleaning and setting up the carb you have. If you can't get it to work or something is broken then buy a chinesium cheapie replacement.

I'd remove the loader until you get all the kinks worked out on the tractor.

Looks like a good three point so you can get a lot of work done with the tractor.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 8:23am
Originally posted by jvin248 jvin248 wrote:

Try cleaning and setting up the carb you have. If you can't get it to work or something is broken then buy a chinesium cheapie replacement.

I'd remove the loader until you get all the kinks worked out on the tractor.

Looks like a good three point so you can get a lot of work done with the tractor.

I have located all the parts to build a tsx 464, (I think). My plan right now is to put it together and get it running, then get a kit and rebuild the Zenith that was in the toolbox. Keep the 464 on the shelf ready to go as most of these things seem to need one when I find them! I'm not too big on the chinesium stuff. Did put one on a Cub Cadet once and it worked but will stay with rebuilt original.

Edit; I should add, yes the loader really should come off at least until it's working correctly! Probably sell the loader as I don't need it at all.

Couple of pics unloading/moving to temporary spot until it moves under it's own power.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 22 Aug 2023 at 8:39am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 8:44am
Progress has been rather slow on this. The heat is certainly not helping! Have determined with the help on Norm's bible that it is a 1958 model. Started assembling the carb. Throttle shaft and butterfly are in. Did change out the shifter boot the other day, had a good used one in the cabinet. Going to need a set of points, they are burnt to a crisp! Rotor was worse. Think I'll just take a battery out of something else until we see how this thing runs. Cables aren't much good either but maybe good enough to make it run?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 8:58am
Just a suggestion, but you might want to think about an electronic ignition like a Pertronix. 
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 11:22am

Lol, robbing batteries from other tractors is an old farmer game!

Buy the new battery to put in the primary working tractor, no trading batteries back.

I like that tow bar with two hitches.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 7:05am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Just a suggestion, but you might want to think about an electronic ignition like a Pertronix. 

WF, I seriously doubt electronic ignition is in this tractors future. Put it on my 45 plow tractor, like it fine but don't have issues with the breaker point system on all the rest.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 7:12am
Originally posted by jvin248 jvin248 wrote:

Lol, robbing batteries from other tractors is an old farmer game!

Buy the new battery to put in the primary working tractor, no trading batteries back.

I like that tow bar with two hitches.

Yeah, I don't usually rob one but in this case.... This thing is still a 'pig in a poke' so to speak. Until it runs and I know more about it, trying to keep the investment minimal.

That 'drawbar' is one I built after seeing the one Andy Guebels had. I bought a WD off him years ago, non-runner. He pushed said WD on the trailer with a 190 using one like this one. Built mine shortly after returning home!

Finally got some work done on the carburetor yesterday, this thing just may run before the weekend is over.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 1:29pm
I hope you get it running this weekend. That would be great! I like that push/pull bar too.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 5:47am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

I hope you get it running this weekend. That would be great! I like that push/pull bar too.

Well I took a swing at getting her running Sunday. Still in the 'parts needed' category! Battery cables were some of the worst I've ever encountered. Had some better ones is stock, ruined the stud on the solenoid taking it apart and cross-threaded the fuel line into the fitting, so it's off to the Napa store after bit.

My goal for a tractor like this is to not invest a bunch until it runs and I have some idea what I've got. Points were absolutely fried, so I put a new set in WD Micha and put the used ones in the 17. They were in pretty good shape and I hit them with the point file quick like.

At least progress has been made. Wanted to address the muffler but ran out of time.

Should add that my plan was to use the battery out of WD 'Grandpa'. Well, that didn't quite work out. That one is now in the junk battery pile. Had I been thinking a bit faster, would have taken the one out of the 826. That will probably happen today. Then WD 'Micha' can get his back.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 8:39am
It's alive! Put a new solenoid on the 17 yesterday after finding some better cables and cleaning all the connections I hit the key. She spun right over about three rotations and lit. Fuel line isn't even hooked up! Didn't run long or particularly well but hey, it ran!

Starter stuck on so that will have to be looked at. Solenoid I removed had only one small terminal, new one has two. Wonder if that is the problem? Going to Napa today for the fitting for the gas line, might pick up a single post solenoid while there.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 6:57pm
Awesome!! Now... the next step will tell us how much it smokes LOL
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 9:33am

Awesome!! Now... the next step will tell us how much it smokes LOL
So, I got this thing back together Wednesday. It ran again, better this time but the starter drive is staying engaged. Didn't notice much smoke wjohn. Started is currently on the bench waiting to be taken apart to see if it's something simple or if it's headed to a repair shop. It's a little frustrating having to wait on something like this. Have a new toy, want to drive it around!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 8:13am
Ah, too bad D-17s aren't set up to be able to be hand cranked, as I recall. But a starter is simple enough in the grand scheme of "all the things that could've been wrong with a non-running Craigslist find!"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 9:11am

Ah, too bad D-17s aren't set up to be able to be hand cranked, as I recall. But a starter is simple enough in the grand scheme of "all the things that could've been wrong with a non-running Craigslist find!"

wjohn, I had that same thought about the hand crank! If I just couldn't stand it, it could be pull started. I should have time today to at least take the starter apart and have a look. Also have an alternator and a compressor motor that need to go to a shop for repair so I may just load things up and take them in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic