This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axel seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pungobob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axel seals
    Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 9:24pm
Good evening fellow A/C enthusiasts. I am in the midst of a restoration of a 1951 G. In getting all the mechanical items up to par I have run into a problem I hope some of you will be able to give me some advice. I drained and then refilled the transmission/hydraulic fluid. This morning after church I went to my shop and found that hydraulic fluid was leaking from both sides of the axel housings that contain the brake assemblies. I have ordered both the inner and outer axel seals for both sides. I have the service manual but what I need from some of my fellow G owners what if any hints or tricks are there to changing the seals? I’m pretty handy with a wrench but any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 10:58pm
first be sure you’re on level ground and re-check your oil level against the mark on the case, lots of times people don’t drain all three plugs, then pour what should be the correct amount in, then find they are over full and leaking. If not, inner seal is easy, drain all three plugs,  for the right side, remove the four nuts, pull axle housing, remove shoes, remove 4 bolts holding backing plate/bearing holder, then you can access seal.(double check axle for groove in case a “speedy sleeve” is needed. It’s a good time to take a couple cans of parts cleaner and wash all the crud out of the case bottom while you can see better. The left side is the same except for removing the clutch rod that passes through the axle housing.

The outer seal (which is more of a dirt seal as the outer bearing is sealed on the outside)
Is a real pain, you have to pull the brake drum, which can be a joy all unto itself, pull axle, remove bearing sleeve, outer bearing, then you can get to the seal. I really wouldn’t go through all this unless the bearing has play or making noise as no oil will get that far out, it will all leak through the brake housing area. Hopefully all that makes sense, if not, give me a yell
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
pungobob View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pungobob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 7:18am
Hi Joe, once again you have saved the day. Thank you so much for the information. When I thought more about the seals I figured out the the outer seal didn’t get any of the trans fluid so I thought about just changing the inner seal. With the info you provided I pretty sure that’s the way I am going to proceed. Thanks once again for your help, Bobby
pungobob View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pungobob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 9:58am
Joe, I hate to keep bothering you but I have one more question about my axel seal issue. I drained the fluid from all three drain plugs. I actually let it drain overnight. When I refilled the trans, as soon as the fluid got to the top of the fill hole I stopped pouring fluid and immediately installed the fill plug without letting all the excess fluid drain out. I noticed this morning that it doesn’t seem to be leaking now. Should I remove the plug and let any excess fluid drain and see if there are any leaks or should I go ahead and replace the seals just to play it safe. Thanks, Bobby
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 10:33am
If it were mine, I’d pull it down, odds are your brakes got wet too, if you change them, you’ll be good for another 75 years! sent you my number in message
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic