This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 overcharging???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Goodwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 overcharging???
    Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 9:48pm
My 1969 180 with rebuilt injection pump and starter is running nice and wow does it start quick now.
Amp meter stays at +40 all day at anything over idle. It used to run up that high then slowly move down to near zero as the batteries charged.
Batteries test good and hold a charge.
Is this a regulator issue??
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Joe Goodwill Joe Goodwill wrote:

My 1969 180 with rebuilt injection pump and starter is running nice and wow does it start quick now.
Amp meter stays at +40 all day at anything over idle. It used to run up that high then slowly move down to near zero as the batteries charged.
Batteries test good and hold a charge.
Is this a regulator issue??

Usually yes, and it will cook, or boil your battery(s) dry on short order.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:40pm
with the engine off, does the gauge set at Zero ? ... with engine off and lights on, does the gauge read -5 to -8 ? ... if so, the gauge is probably right and the regulator is bad.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 6:33am
Probably a bad regulator, but before you replace it check all your electrical connections, especially grounds. A bad ground is often the cause of a regulator malfunction.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 7:58am
All good advice above...

Start with the easiest thing first.

Check static voltage
"engine not running"
and again with engine running.

Very well could be just bad indication.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 8:13am
welcome back Macon !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 8:23am
Thanks Steve.

The email I used for this site was "let's just say"

out of order. Ha ha !
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Joe Goodwill View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Goodwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 1:10pm
The gauge does read negative with lights on and engine off. I believe it is reading accurately. I tested the voltage with the engine running it is constant about 14.3 even after running for half an hour. I believe it should cut back to about 13.7??
Thanks for that good replies this site is as always amazing. I have a few loads of manure to haul then I will get it back in the shop and figure this out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 2:10pm
Let us know what you find..

Always good to put it in the old info bucket.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 3:50pm
Unplug the single wire inside the small square plug on the alternator. If it quits charging altogether, you have a bad regulator.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Joe Goodwill Joe Goodwill wrote:

...the voltage with the engine running it is constant about 14.3 even after running for half an hour. I believe it should cut back to about 13.7?...

14.3 Volts on a 12 Volt system is not drastically high, but a continuous 40 amps into the battery is.

I am not familiar with this particular alternator/regulator, but most of them do not reduce the voltage after running a while; this would require additional circuitry or perhaps some sort of temperature compensation.

I am curious as to just exactly what is going on here.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 6:35pm
We always considered 13.5 to 14.5 volts normal for automotive applications with engine running and revved up a bit - 1000 or 1200 rpm. And 12.8 or 12.6 when shut off.
Joe Goodwill View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Goodwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 10:54pm
This afternoon while I finished my manure spreading operation the charging system appeared to operate normally for the first time this year. I guess all the advice on here fixed it without me touching it!
Possibly a ground wire or loose connection as I did have the hood over the dash off a few days ago.
Sometimes things just work out!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 5:55am
It will probably show up again.About the same as my gas Oliver 1550,replaced the original alternator and regulator with a one wire alternator from DB Electric,been working fine ever since.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

We always considered 13.5 to 14.5 volts normal for automotive applications with engine running and revved up a bit - 1000 or 1200 rpm. And 12.8 or 12.6 when shut off.

Yup.
That's what was so puzzling about this issue; 14.3 volts shouldn't be able to push 40 amps into a good fully charged battery.

A battery that has enough charge to start the engine quickly as the OP stated is not heavily discharged. After an hour of running with a steady 40 amps going in, a good battery will be fully charged and 14.3 volts won't push anywhere near 40 amps into it.

The ammeter only reads what goes into or out of the battery.

Does this system have a separate regulator or is it internal to the alternator? If it is separate, I would try cleaning the grounding places.

Puzzling. Confused

Edited by Les Kerf - 17 Aug 2023 at 8:09am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:07pm
Uncle used to have a 170 that we had problems with in the busy season , turned off the key for a while so it wouldnt cook the battery- worked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic