This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3500 engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3500 engine
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:22pm
Can you reasonably put 4 1/2 inch
pistons in the 426 engine and get it to live very long.
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:29pm
All depends on what else you do.              MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 10:43pm
3000 series engines used for serious tractor pulling competition use 4 3/4" and 4 7/8" pistons all the time. They don't "farm" with them. They pull them for 15 seconds and idle back to the pits. I think you could go up to a 4.400" bore piston with custom made thin steel sleeves and not have to bore the block, but certainly not for a farm use engine. What are you thinking of doing ?? With stock bore and stroke and a fuel system and larger turbocharger and no more than 2800 RPM's high idle, I'd think you could easily reach 500 or more HP, but high exhaust temps will keep you from using it to farm with.
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 9:04pm
I'm just looking at being somewhat more equal with
the 466 engine the red and green tractors use.
I only run in out of field .
Pump is turned up as much as it can be
and injectors have been worked on and lines are bigger than stock...
Run a switzer turbo.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:31pm
Let's just say you were at 466 cubes. Let's also say that your fuel system (pump, injectors and lines) do not deliver the same amount of fuel a green one does (with an in-line) or a red one does (with rotary Bosch). You will still have LESS HP than they do, even tho all of you are 466 cubes. So, now lets say you all have the same fuel system delivery and are all 466 cubes, but yours has a slightly larger air inlet on the turbo. Now, who makes the most HP ?? You probably do, with all other things being equal. It ain't all about cubic inches, altho (usually) the only thing better than cubic inches is cubic feet !!  One still has to have a certain amount of FUEL to make "X" horsepower and then air to match the fuel delivery. You have to have FUEL delivery to be able to MAKE the HP.  HP just doesn't come out of thin air or cubic inches of engine size. 

Edited by DrAllis - 09 Aug 2023 at 10:47pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:24am
My quick math says if a 466 engine has 400 cc's of fuel delivery, a 426 engine needs 437 cc's to potentially make the same HP all other things being equal.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Kevin210 Kevin210 wrote:

I'm just looking at being somewhat more equal with
the 466 engine the red and green tractors use.
I only run in out of field .
Pump is turned up as much as it can be
and injectors have been worked on and lines are bigger than stock...
Run a switzer turbo.

Out of field, as in tractor pulls?????
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:21pm
yes as in tractor pulls.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Kevin210 Kevin210 wrote:

yes as in tractor pulls.

Your weakest link is the head, the intake ports and valve pocket are tiny, the exhaust has a big bulge in it around the headbolt I grind out, even a quick port job gets you results.

The idea of a bigger bore is better but expensive and labor intensive.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 10:48pm
NEVER green, what do you have for an injection pump and injectors ???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 10:02am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

NEVER green, what do you have for an injection pump and injectors ???

I have a stupid AMBAC 100, rules dont allow me an inline like the JD's, it was Fair Valley's best two yrs ago putting out 625 cc . the injectors are also Fair Valley, five hole 25's.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 6:03pm
625 is about 200 cc's better than a RoosaMaster !!  Sounds like the Farmall and A-C guys need to boycott at the rules meeting. You all weigh the same. You all have the same drawbar length and height. Maybe even have the same size turbo. WHY can't you ALL have the same injection pumps ????
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 12:04pm
  A couple red guys and I have been complaining last couple years, there are no rules meetings!

Pretty brush league, the class was started as a step up from the improved farm class so you could run water yet appear stock, when they started the class there was no 13 mil A pumps pushing 1100 cc's of fuel back then.

Seem afraid of change and rocking the boat, we  are down on red numbers lately.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 4:32pm
Many groups do seem to write rules that favor certain tractors. It used to be they favored those green half motor tractors, now it's still the same green that gets preferential treatment. I agree with Doc, if one color can run a specific inline pump, everyone should be able to run the same pump.
 Many places can get quite possessive about hose Chinese plastic trophies. I know of a pull a couple hours south of me that I have been trying to find out details for, for a couple of years. I finally got a contact number and called the lady and after I mentioned my name and tractor, things kinda went mum and now I can't get a follow up to any of my Email questions. Our local club near Annapolis is welcome to any color and we'll try to work with anyone's tractor as long as they have reasonable safety equipment. We run hot tractors from 2500 pounds to 13,500,  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic