This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you ever wonder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you ever wonder?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 4:39pm
As I go down this road of a make over of my 1959 3 bar grill D17 diesel, I often wonder how things were done at the factory? I found 1 video from 1957 showing the D17 going down the assembly line, other than frame and driveline which had been primed, the fuel tank, fenders, tool box, shroud, main shroud support and other frame work supporting those components were raw materials. Components from other manufacturers were black such as the radiator. No additional primer in the video. I guess that’s why the fenders rotted so bad, no paint on them or between the support bracket before assembly. Wish there would have been at least a thin rubber gasket between them. As I watched this video over and over, it appears to me that they covered the cooling fins with maybe cardboard on both sides, and then proceeded to paint the rest of the radiator orange while painting the shroud? At final assembly it appears to be black background through the grill. That is where I get my assumption they left the cooling fins black. So much of the tractor is together when it hit the paint line I’m amazed they were able to cover all components so well. I am disappointed the factory video did not have more coverage on painting, maybe a 10 second clip and then a short clip of final assembly. With it being an assembly line, how did they accomplish to paint the 2 tone wheels? Surely they didn’t mask them off as I am going to do? Just curious if anyone knows?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 4:40pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 5:27pm
i dont know.... but i would have painted the wheels before the tires were installed and put on the tractor..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 5:45pm
For sure the wheels where painted before the tires went on. There were no tires or wheels as it was being painted. The other thing I noticed as the wheel centers and the wheel itself was being installed on the tractor the associated bolts where left unpainted. Shows them loading them on the truck to be delivered unpainted. I will of course paint mine because not only does it look better to match the centers I despise rust which would come very quickly from being unprotected. I wish there were more factory videos of assembly as this is the only one I have found on the D17 even though it is 2 years prior to mine.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:39pm
I do think about things like this too, couple things you gotta think about- this is our passion , life , or hobby- this was a persons job in a factory,, sure some had bad days!! 
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:16pm
Eastwood has a kit for zinc plating small parts. You could do the lug bolts that way. I have not tried it myself. I painted the ones on the Cub and damaged the paint on them during installation.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:41pm
That seams to always happen to me also. Having to go back and touch up after tightening wheel lugs, side panel bolts and so forth. I need to keep telling myself mine is a farm tractor and not a show piece lol. Pretty amazing what they did accomplish in those days. I also noticed the painter has a hose feeding his gun endless amounts of paint. I like to paint but not everyday for 8 hours. Would be nice to know how many came off the assembly line each day. That could be figured out pretty closely with total number built each year I guess.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:22pm
Price was the main thing back then,farmers bought tractors to work them not to play and sit around to look at them.I doubt the buyers or AC really thought or cared much about what the tractor was going to look like in 60 or 70 years.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:42pm
Price was and is still a concern in manufacturing today. No doubt they made a good product look how many are still working farms. Everyone of ours are still farming or doing chores of some type. This thread is about how did they do it?
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:04pm
" I’m amazed they were able to cover all components so well"

When you lay down enough paint, eventually you will get everything covered - even items you don't want painted sometimes.  Factory paint jobs were never anything to be proud of.  How could they?  They painted the tractor on the assembly line in 5 minutes.  All of my original D14s have paint runs in various places.

As mentioned above, rims were painted separately before being put on the tractor.  For the 2 colors, I painted the base color first (orange in your case), allowed it to cure for a couple of weeks, then carefully taped up and painted the aluminum.  Let dry for a few more weeks before installing the tires.

Edited by DSeries4 - 09 Aug 2023 at 3:05pm
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:42pm
Most of us are old enough to remember NEW CARS from the late 50s or early 60s... I remember looking under and seeing a BARE FRAME, no paint.. Some had no paint on the BOTTOM of the floor pan......I remember when my dad bought a new Studebaker in 1962... first thing we did was stop by the hardware store and buy a big pie pan and a gallon of kitty litter......... didnt want the new car to "drip" engine oil all over the concrete floor in the garage !!..
Goal back then was to "GET IT OUT THE DOOR"  . There was no Competition for QUALITY.... that came 10 years later when the Japs started sending cars over here.

If you bought a tractor in 1955 the LAST thing you were worried about was the pretty paint or lack of it.... PRICE and PRICE were the two main goals.

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Aug 2023 at 4:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:07pm
Nice looking wheels Myron! They must have improved in the paint department over time. Dad’s 1968 series II D15 had a great paint job on it, no runs and the paint lasted until 10 years ago when the fenders started to chip pretty bad. Hard to beat lead paint for longevity and toughness. Today’s paints can’t handle the slightest bit of wrench turning without chipping. Steve, we discussed the black radiator awhile back and you mentioned they got painted orange on the sides because they were already mounted along with the shroud so orange paint would be sprayed on the sides as it was being painted. Watching the video you was absolutely correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic