This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This weekend's acquisition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This weekend's acquisition
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:06am
For some reason, I have always wanted a B with a left and right plow. This weekend we (as Shameless would say) the old lady, I mean loving wife and I made a 630 mile, 12 hour round trip (with a lot of two lane roads) to PA and picked up this 1945 B.

The good - tractor starts quickly, runs great, plows lift by hydraulics, plows and tractor all in pretty good shape, wishbone weights and wheel weights.

The bad - one back tire pretty weather checked (but no breaks) jam in grill, jams in gas tank, rear end is a little noisy.

Edited by WF owner - 08 Aug 2023 at 7:10am
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:15am
One more

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:49am
nice!, nothing cooler than a set of Lefts and rights
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:55am
I see where you'll 'B' put if you buy any more though !!!!!

hint: pictures 3 and 4

dang NICE tractor and plow !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:05am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I see where you'll 'B' put if you buy any more though !!!!!

hint: pictures 3 and 4

dang NICE tractor and plow !!

which one? stocks or the doghouse!LOL

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 11:37am
stocks , cause then the World would KNOW he'd done a baaaaaaad thing......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 3:28pm
Congratulations, that's a great little tractor
My Dad bought a new B and plows like that in 1941.
The first tractor on the old homestead.
If I recall correctly, he told me he paid just over $800 for the package.

The extra plow, when up, put extra weight right where it was needed. 
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 3:36pm
That is a good looking rig  that little dig in the front end will be an easy fix. sure wish i could find one like that it even has it he front weight.   Randy
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:57pm
For those of you interested in the stocks, we do a big Halloween (and Christmas) presentation every year and they were a prop (photo spot). So far, my wife hasn't locked me in them...
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:11pm
Nice little tractor you picked up Curt. I recall last spring a guy in NY on CL selling a barn full of B&C parts. One of the pictures showed a adjustable front end for a B laying on some parts. My brother has the itch to find a nice CA to buy.     Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
DMac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:24pm
nice tractor! I saw that on marketplace . Front weight and both plows and the rear weights you made a good purchase 
Marlyn nwia View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlyn nwia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:30pm
educational for me!  I was never aware of a left/right moldboard plow. I have never seen one.  Is the manual handle a stop depth control for both moldboards as a pair or can it be adjusted singularly? How does one prevent the plow from throwing dirt in two directions?

Edited by Marlyn nwia - 08 Aug 2023 at 8:41pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Marlyn nwia Marlyn nwia wrote:

educational for me!  I was never aware of a left/right moldboard plow. I have never seen one.  Is the manual handle a stop depth control for both moldboards as a pair or can it be adjusted singularly? How does one prevent the plow from throwing dirt in two directions?

Right now, I know next to  nothing about the plow.

I believe the front lever is a depth adjustment. These plows pick up hydraulically, but some (older ones) picked up manually.

You plow with only one plow at a time. After plowing one furrow, you turn around and put the opposite wheel in the furrow and come back using the opposite plow. When you're done, there are no "dead furrows".

I have another left/right set of mechanical lift plows for a 1942 steel wheeled B (future project) that I acquired a couple years ago. At the rate I'm going, I will need to live to 100 years old to complete all my "projects".

Edited by WF owner - 09 Aug 2023 at 4:10am
560Dennis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 560Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:42am
nice hill side plow . I was admiring the shears ,iwas !
560Dennis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 560Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:55am
looks level control, connected to outside links , move the shears to the angle of hill 
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 12:02pm
There is a 3 position control valve at the leading front edge of the seat by the lift lever.
 It allows for lifting of RH, LH or both plows.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 7:34am
We just don't see many of those in the Midwest. I've always thought they were neat and looked great, too. Have fun with it!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic