This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 Baker wiper arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 Baker wiper arm
    Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:21am
The roller ball on the end of the wiper arm is froze up....I have tried all kinds of penetrating oils (wd40, kriol, 3 in one, etc)...tried tapping with a small hammer, tried working it with needle nose vice grip carefully so as to not egg shape it...cannot free it up....I tried to remove to have better access, but hits on bill hook..Does anybody know-does bill hook have to be removed in order to bet wiper arm out??? Or, does anybody know of a way to free up that pesky roller ball??
Thanks in advance.... Dan
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:41am
Can it be heated up? Or will that damage other parts around it?
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 12:04pm
I am a little gun shy of a torch with dry hay in the chamber right below the knotters...
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 12:06pm
Oooops...post should have said "303 baler wiper arm"..... darn autocorrect....
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 9:00pm
If I remember correctly it will clear bill hook if knotter assembly is rotated to the  right place.                  MACK
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 9:05pm
Thank you Mack...I will give it another try tomorrow....really want that roller to rotate!!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 9:38pm

If it comes down to it. We have whole arm with roller on it.
Maybe some would know, but see many different numbers in parts books. 6 notch and 4 notch knotters

Edited by Mikez - 07 Aug 2023 at 9:41pm
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Driverdan Driverdan wrote:

The roller ball on the end of the wiper arm is froze up....I have tried all kinds of penetrating oils (wd40, kriol, 3 in one, etc)...tried tapping with a small hammer, tried working it with needle nose vice grip carefully so as to not egg shape it...cannot free it up....I tried to remove to have better access, but hits on bill hook..Does anybody know-does bill hook have to be removed in order to bet wiper arm out??? Or, does anybody know of a way to free up that pesky roller ball??
Thanks in advance.... Dan
********Dan, did you put a different grear box drive shaft in it??  Dale...
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:49am
Dale, I am not sure what you are asking? I put in the main drive shaft I got from you a couple years back.. Is that what you are referring to? Excellent part you sent, I have baled thousands of bales since then...thank you very much!!   Only shaft I have replaced !?!? Dan
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:45am
The Allis balers used Rasspe knotter, as did New Holland and Deere (NH and Deere used slightly different models, but both were made by Rasspe). The Allis ones were the exact same Rasspe knotter model as the ones New Holland used in the same era, so if it really comes to it parts won't be hard to come by. I'd clear it out and not be afraid to use the torch. If something breaks or goes awry, you can always get aftermarket NH parts or find a junked NH at a wreckers.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 2:16am
If your roller has a flat spot on it, take the arm out as Mack said... turn the knotter and it will come out at a certain point.  Disconnect the bolt/pin on the section of knotter and lift it up.  and at a certain point as it is turning, the main shaft of the wiper arm will drop down and come out of the shaft bore.  Then you can work on it much easier.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 7:12pm
Thank you all for the responses!! I got that critter out as was suggested by unbolting knotter and swinging it up to the right spot (did have to remove twine knife). Once I got it out, roller freed up easily with a little coaxing from a bernzomatic. As a point of interest (maybe), my dad bought this 303 in 1970 and other than being down a couple weeks a few years back with splines twisted off a shaft (and replacing with one from Dale at orangereborn) it has been in the same fields every summer for 53 years with minimal downtime!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic